Attaching a lifeline

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact that you have to ask is why your getting those replies. No one wants to be reading about you next month in the industry accident report.
I'm asking because I would like to know their way of doing it because not everyone does it the same, and if you did hear of someone in a arborist accident you wouldn't know it was me:rolleyes:

I don't need concern replies, answer the question or just move on, I'm not interested in your acting as if you're concerned for my safety!

I'm asking because I would like to know their way of doing it because not everyone does it the same, and if you did hear of someone in a arborist accident you wouldn't know it was me:rolleyes:

I don't need concern replies, answer the question or just move on, I'm not interested in your acting as if you're concerned for my safety!

Your right not everyone does it the same, or even the same on every tree. There's different methods for different situations. No quick answer for you here.

Im not acting like I'm concerned for your safety. I'm not concerned for your safety. Your free to hike up there and do whatever you please. My concerns are because we as an industry are not free from your actions. We get dragged through the mud all the time by folks that wanna play tree guy.

We get dragged through the mud all the time by folks that wanna play tree guy.
you get dragged through the mud because 30 vets get hurt and loose fingers and limbs as well, quit pissing in the wind, I'm not interested in your opinion just the opinions of my question.

Here's what I do with no limbs. It's not the way everyone does it, works for me. I choke the climbing line around the trunk(either running bowline/figure 8 on a bight/alpine butterfly if I want to retrieve from the ground for some reason... and use a 6 wrap prussik or a klemheist. I'm using it as fall protection not work positioning, hence the simple hitches, and it keeps the system small and simple. If I need to descend on that line it's a quick switch to a figure 8 and down I go.

If you want to be doubly attached all the way up(you should), you'll have to move it up the tree with you as you go. Most guys are going to climb the tree with the lanyard/spikes and tie in once they're at the top and then bring it back down as you chunk out because it's way faster.

Here's what I do with no limbs. It's not the way everyone does it, works for me. I choke the climbing line around the trunk(either running bowline/figure 8 on a bight/alpine butterfly if I want to retrieve from the ground for some reason... and use a 6 wrap prussik or a klemheist. I'm using it as fall protection not work positioning, hence the simple hitches, and it keeps the system small and simple. If I need to descend on that line it's a quick switch to a figure 8 and down I go.

If you want to be doubly attached all the way up(you should), you'll have to move it up the tree with you as you go. Most guys are going to climb the tree with the lanyard/spikes and tie in once they're at the top and then bring it back down as you chunk out because it's way faster.
Since The trees are so high that’s how I feel about It, climbing and then tying off. I know that’s not the right way to do it but it’s the easiest way to do it since they’re so high.

Then their is a safety lanyard that goes around the tree!
are you calling the flipline you referred too the safety lanyard?
Going to be tough to spike up a tree without one, wouldn't it?

Have to be a real bad A to hug the tree and spike up it lol
Echo I believe he's calling the flipline the safety lanyard???

If so this will confuse many new arborists, I call a safety lanyard something that prevents me from falling, a flipline aids me advancing up the tree.

I'm using it as fall protection not work positioning, hence the simple hitches, and it keeps the system small and simple.
I use this on my climbing rope
61mqZCqatoL._SL1280_.jpg

the prussik slows me down but I use it for other applications

I call the line that will keep me from falling and the line I can descend on the climbing line.

A rope lanyard/flip line (same thing but flip lines are generally wire core) is generally considered a second tie in point, however, in a peg situation with no limbs it's not fall protection at all and only considered work positioning in my opinion.

I don't think I've ever heard the climbing line called a 'safety lanyard'.

My company doesn't allow mechanical hitches on life support equipment. Regardless, get yourself an adjustable false crotch (friction saver). Wrap it around the tree, put your climbing line through the rings and off you go. You just slide the friction saver down the tree as you go. Make sure the rings don't touch.

cli247k-2-500.gif

If you don't give any indication of your experience and ask newby questions, you should expect condescending answers. Next time don't get your panties in a knot.

I use a adj. Friction saver choked around tree, run my climbing line through the rings then set it up Ddrt with a Blake's hitch clipped into my harness bridge for descent. Advance it with my lanyard as I spike up.

Little slower but works good

Thank you Echo. Finally someone answered the question:clap:

Lots of people answered your question, they just didn’t give you the answer you were looking for. They did take the time to respond with good advise.

Since it looks like you’re new to the site you may not realize that you just crapped on several well respected members with years of experience while taking the advice of somebody else with no site history. Also you posted a pro level question in the homeowner section with no background on your experience.

Either you’re a troll or you dont have any idea how these sites work. Either way I’ve expended more effort than necessary

Lots of people answered your question, they just didn’t give you the answer you were looking for. They did take the time to respond with good advise.

Since it looks like you’re new to the site you may not realize that you just crapped on several well respected members with years of experience while taking the advice of somebody else with no site history. Also you posted a pro level question in the homeowner section with no background on your experience.

Either you’re a troll or you dont have any idea how these sites work. Either way I’ve expended more effort than necessary
ok King brown noser:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back