New saws with mahle cylinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floriceeel

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'd like to buy a brand new 70cc saw with a Mahle cylinder inside from the dealer.I'm interested in the new saws,572xp and MS462 and to be honest,this is the only thing I'm interested in,having a mahle cylinder.Wouldn't mind a 461 or 441 though.
So,what do you guys know,which one of the saws mentioned has this brand of motor inside? I'm from Europe.

I know that but I don't know if Dolmars are reliable saws

Define “reliable” as you understand the term. By my way of thinking, in the case of quality gear most reliability failures come back to operator error and/or poor maintenance, rather than inherent defects.

Dolmar (now Makita) saws are every ounce the equal of Stihl and Husqvarna.

If it were free, I'd want my 70cc saw to have 6hp and weigh 13 pounds. Mahle cylinder be darned.

But I got an old 372xp with a Mahle cylinder instead. 20190211_200232.jpg
I like it pretty well. Now this saw is closing on 11 years old, so I couldn't guarantee that the new ones will have a Mahle cylinder.

If I was to find a pretty blue Makita 9010 for a really good price, I might be persuaded to part with this highly valuable Mahle cylindered 372.

Why a Mahle specifically?

As above, KS and GD are just as good. Sometimes better.

Some later OEM Stihl cylinders did kinda suck and were made in China I’m told. I can see how one wouldn’t want that.

In the 1980s, on professional saws, Husqvarna alternately sourced cylinders from both Mahle and Kolbenschidt (formerly KarlSchmidt) in order to ensure supply in case of a problem with either company. E.g. the 154 had a Mahle "chrome" cylinder and the 254, KS "Nikasil". There was no difference in the perceived quality of each vendor's product. That said, Mahle "chrome" lined cylinders appeared to be more tolerant of the kind of fine abrasive dust that's prevalent in many parts of Australia.

While I'm here, the Tomos-made 66 had c&p from Gilardoni, and the 45 (and it's equivalent Partner) was the first to use a cylinder and piston forged in the Poulan foundry in Nashville, Arkansas.

Bought this
Define “reliable” as you understand the term. By my way of thinking, in the case of quality gear most reliability failures come back to operator error and/or poor maintenance, rather than inherent defects.

Dolmar (now Makita) saws are every ounce the equal of Stihl and Husqvarna.
Reliable = they last = 044/440

Attachments

• 20190309_134651.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 16
Back