makita dcs 7901

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conarco13a

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a new toy!!:):)
so long story short a couple of months ago i was looking to upgrade my cutting equiment (poulan 50cc). I wanted more power but also not something too heavy.
the options I had were stihl ms382 (reformed 038), husqvarna 372xp and 288xp (still being produced in brazil and almost the same price as the 372), and the makita/dolmar/dolkita 7901. the price (around $600) balanced things in favor of the makita. there is a 73cc makita that weights the same as this so no point in getting that one.

i couldn't find a lot online about this machine so i decided to post about it.

the machine is made in germany, comes with a 20inch/50cm hardnose bar and a 3/8 1.5mm chain, a bar protector and a bag of tools. and 2 air filters.
carburator is zama.
i also bought a longer 28inch/70cm hardnose bar (same mount as the husky 372)
my first attemp to use it was a failure. it flooded really bad!!.

i had another go this weekend and it went great!! it's not that heavy, feels great in your hands and has plenty of power. i'm yet to try the longer bar, i'll let you know how that goes.

one advise about starting the saw, if you pull the rope with the choke on a couple of times and don´t hear the "start explosion" move to the next step with the choke off and press the trigger while pulling on the rope. if you keep pulling on the rope expecting that first explosion it will flood like you wouldn't believe!!.

now some pictures

dul4iYi.jpg

nGfadku.jpg

vhwcGHt.jpg

QpmbSxO.jpg

pwD9agU.jpg

JH91xlE.jpg

85PS9Bx.jpg

IOaCG8t.jpg

Beautiful saw! I have the red older Dolmar version of this saw. It's EXACTLY the same on the flooding. Mine will literally spray fuel out the muffler if I pull it more than 4-5 times on choke. Mine will usually never "burp" on choke. My routine is pull twice on choke, then move to high idle and it will fire right up. But once it's running, it's a fantastic saw. It's my one "heirloom" saw, will never sell it....

Beautiful saw! I have the red older Dolmar version of this saw. It's EXACTLY the same on the flooding. Mine will literally spray fuel out the muffler if I pull it more than 4-5 times on choke. Mine will usually never "burp" on choke. My routine is pull twice on choke, then move to high idle and it will fire right up. But once it's running, it's a fantastic saw. It's my one "heirloom" saw, will never sell it....
that's the information i was needing the first day :lol:.

US$600 is a great price for the hair drier on steriods. Does the seller have any more at that price?
no, mine was the last one!. they also had the big brother of the makita family a 90cc bad boy for a bit over $700 i didn´t buy that one because i was afraid it might be t0o heavy for me:muscle:. the dealer is a hardware store, they sold every makita and have gone to husky now.

i've tested the 28inch/70cm bar works great!! the machine pulls good with it. one thing though, with that bar the saw is nose heavy. it tilts foward when flat on the ground. it doesn't feel unconfortable in your hands but it shows in the pics i have for you. in the second picture you will see that the tip of the bar in actually touching the floor.

the oregon bar has the same mount as the husqvarna 372/288. its a 28 inch/70cm hardnose bar. i'm running 3/8 1.5mm chain 92 drive links on it.

the next saw in the makita line (90cc) comes with a 75cm/30inch bar. but i didn't buy from makita, i bought the bar and had the chain cut to the lenght.

the pics
kVPXy6X.jpg

Wyj5OiP.jpg

sfvR1RE.jpg

MC7WHHl.jpg

this eucalyptus log is pretty big. i started cutting then i rolled it in the way you see. this pic was taken before the last cuts were done but after it was rolled over.

i've tested the 28inch/70cm bar works great!! the machine pulls good with it. one thing though, with that bar the saw is nose heavy. it tilts foward when flat on the ground. it doesn't feel unconfortable in your hands but it shows in the pics i have for you. in the second picture you will see that the tip of the bar in actually touching the floor.

the oregon bar has the same mount as the husqvarna 372/288. its a 28 inch/70cm hardnose bar. i'm running 3/8 1.5mm chain 92 drive links on it.

the next saw in the makita line (90cc) comes with a 75cm/30inch bar. but i didn't buy from makita, i bought the bar and had the chain cut to the lenght.

the pics
kVPXy6X.jpg

Wyj5OiP.jpg

sfvR1RE.jpg

MC7WHHl.jpg

this eucalyptus log is pretty big. i started cutting then i rolled it in the way you see. this pic was taken before the last cuts were done but after it was rolled over.

the pics
kVPXy6X.jpg

Wyj5OiP.jpg

sfvR1RE.jpg

MC7WHHl.jpg

I like the come-along. Sure does make it easier on the back.

the pics
kVPXy6X.jpg

Wyj5OiP.jpg

sfvR1RE.jpg

MC7WHHl.jpg

I have a 28” Stihl ES light bar for my 7900 it pretty much balances like a 20” laminated bar but you’ll probably pay two to three times as much as an Oregon bar.

Latest posts

Back