Husqvarna 346 xp vs echo 501sx wich one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in the market for a small saw with heated handles and since the 346xpg is NLA , I have my eye on an Echo CS 501 SXH.
What can I expect to pay and does it come stock with 050 or 058 in 3/8 and is it compatible with small mount Husky bars and does it come with rim sprocket or paddle wheel clutch drum?
Thanks

I’m in the market for a small saw with heated handles and since the 346xpg is NLA , I have my eye on an Echo CS 501 SXH.
What can I expect to pay and does it come stock with 050 or 058 in 3/8 and is it compatible with small mount Husky bars and does it come with rim sprocket or paddle wheel clutch drum?
Thanks

It comes with .325 050,rim sprocket.I have no idea what can you expect to pay for a heated 501,i see some huge prices like 650-700€ from some Germany eshops.I have a 490,a 590 and i am looking to get the 2511 WES,i couldn't be happier with the Echos but if i was in your shoes,i would looking for a heated version of the 5105 or the makita equivalent.

It comes with .325 050,rim sprocket.I have no idea what can you expect to pay for a heated 501,i see some huge prices like 650-700€ from some Germany eshops.I have a 490,a 590 and i am looking to get the 2511 WES,i couldn't be happier with the Echos but if i was in your shoes,i would looking for a heated version of the 5105 or the makita equivalent.
Thanks for the heads up on the 5105 H.
I guess I should become more informed before I impulsively make a purchase. What would be the main difference between the two models?
I also did a google search and came up with mostly results in German.

Thanks for the heads up on the 5105 H.
I guess I should become more informed before I impulsively make a purchase. What would be the main difference between the two models?
I also did a google search and came up with mostly results in German.

I only mentioned the 5105 because i saw 3/8 in your post.5105 can pull 3/8 way better than the Echo.I forgot to say that the 501 takes the small husky bar mount with minor mods.

I have been intrigued by that Echo too. I have rolled a 490 around in my hands in a store. It feels light and handy, for sure.

I own a 5105 and a few other good 50cc saws. The 5105 has a superlative motor, it's simply above reproach. But the saw is fat and handles like a block. I am used to it and still like it a lot because the power characteristics, throttle response, antivibe, and overall feel is really solid.

If you are looking for a limber, check that Echo out carefully. If you are looking for a bucker, you are not going to find a better 50cc bucker than the Dolmar, imo.

You haven't mentioned a Stihl. Or a new Husky.

I am not sure about this and i could be way off, but i don't think you'll find any current 50cc saw with the torque and broad power of that Dolmar. It feels like my Jonsered 590's with a tiny bit more everywhere. I smile when it just digs and pulls instead of bogs..

Personally, I run .325 on all my 50cc saws and would be more inclined to switch to lopro than regular 3/8. I just don't like boggy saws. Period.

I read the whole thread! Quite funny and informative.
Just one question: Will the 501 pull 404 on a 52 inch blade with 9T?
Not a hope, I had three of them, good saws, but if I were buying only
one saw I would consider something else, there is a lot you can do with
the 501, but if you are into bigger wood or need to cut wood faster
then get a bigger saw, even the Dolmar 5105 or it’s blue twin the
Makita EA5000.

Not a hope, I had three of them, good saws, but if I were buying only
one saw I would consider something else, there is a lot you can do with
the 501, but if you are into bigger wood or need to cut wood faster
then get a bigger saw, even the Dolmar 5105 or it’s blue twin the
Makita EA5000.
I’m considering the 501 only because it’s light and comes with heated handles and need a light saw for a specific job this winter. I already have several 372’s and a couple of 2165’s and a MS460 as well as 3 346’s. I’d go 16” max on the 501 with 3/8.
I wonder if the 501 would stand up to a Partner 5000? I have one of those too.
I’m not really a saw hoarder, it’s just after cutting wood for a living for 39 years now I accumulated a few saws along the way.

I doubt very much that the Echo would stand up to the Partner. My 590's are essentially Partner 5000+'s. The Dolmar 5105 is only a wee bit more than a Jonny 590, power-wise.

That is only guessing tho.

You already have some light saws..I think you are just trying to talk yourself into another saw. Ha!

Oh, right, but you want heat. I see..

I have been quite intrigued by that 501. So I have read pretty much everything and saw quite a few vids on the 490 and 501.

The word on the street is that the 490 is quite unimpressive in the power department. That leads me to believe that the 501, while being more powerful than the 490 is likely still not in the same league as the 5105, 261, or 550. The specs show that too.

As usual, if you want the best of all worlds you are looking at Husky or Stihl.

Compromise handling-buy Dolmar
Compromise power-buy Echo

For both - Husky or Stihl - pity that they are both electronically controlled carbs, imo.

AD9E6097-2C2A-4B93-BFD8-4030F85E9909.jpeg
I doubt very much that the Echo would stand up to the Partner. My 590's are essentially Partner 5000+'s. The Dolmar 5105 is only a wee bit more than a Jonny 590, power-wise.

That is only guessing tho.

You already have some light saws..I think you are just trying to talk yourself into another saw. Ha!

Oh, right, but you want heat. I see..
Speaking of the 5000 Plus, as an option you could buy exhaust heated handles regulated by a valve.

Back