Echo CS-2511T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all, just joined arboristsite.
I've been running the Baby Echo for over a year with a 12" 1/4x.043 setup. For sure the best trim saw I have ever used in over 14 years of climbing. The only issue I've noticed is the bar. I started with a modified Stihl bar, but it was too soft, and didn't hold up well. The Woodland Pro bars were a great deal, but the sprocket tips exploded. I believe there's a slight difference in chain sizes within brands (Sugihara is the only one that picked up on this). After 4 trips back to Bailey's, they gave me a free carving bar they had laying around. Needless to say, there are no more exploding sprockets. The carver doesn't like back-chaining, but otherwise works fine. The Woodland Pro chain is more aggressive, and great for removals. The Stihl chain cuts smoother, but is probably the main culprit for wrecking sprockets.
I just recently discovered 3/8 narrow kerf, and bought a 3/8x.043 bar and 3 chains: Stihl 61PMM3, Woodland 30LP, and Oregon 90PX. I will see how this compares to the 1/4" setup.

I have the Stihl bar and .043 3/8lp on mine and it cuts very well. I’ve used the 1/4” on a 150T and hated it and its a PITA to sharpen being so small.

I know what you mean about the sharpening. I usually have the dealer take care of that one. Our local Stihl shop does a great job for $6, and I have spares to rotate through. Good to know the 3/8x.043 is working well.

I have the Stihl bar and .043 3/8lp on mine and it cuts very well. I’ve used the 1/4” on a 150T and hated it and its a PITA to sharpen being so small.

I know what you mean about the sharpening. I usually have the dealer take care of that one. Our local Stihl shop does a great job for $6, and I have spares to rotate through. Good to know the 3/8x.043 is working well.

Welcome to AS Hitch.
I can see saving time by having them sharpen them, but it doesn't take long to sharpen a little lp/picco chain. It also seems that for the most part you could plan when to sharpen them as they don't dull out quickly when used in tree, on the ground is a different story. It can take about the same time to sharpen as it does to swap out a chain. Just thinking out loud, help me understand your system better.
Brett

I converted mine to 1/4p .043 with a 10" Stihl bar. I definitely feel that's what the saw should have been sold with. It pulled the 3/8 lopro just fine, but the smaller chain makes such nice pruning cuts. If I'm looking for pure cut speed I'm gonna use a full size top handle.
Sharpening isn't much worse than 3/8 lp for me, just need to have good lighting. That being said I'm not using this thing anywhere near dirt so it just needs a touch up every few tanks

The 1/4 semi chisel is much better for making 1 handed cuts and leaves a nice smooth surface. I thought the 3/8lp was faster, but after testing the difference is less than 1 second in 8" green apple, so mine does almost everything with the little chain. I do hate stihl safety rakers.

Interesting that people feel like the Stihl bars don't last. Mine is on year two with plenty of life in it and almost daily service.

I've been thinking of putting a 16" 3/8lp x 1/4 on a ported echo. Anbody running that setup?

I just recently discovered 3/8 narrow kerf, and bought a 3/8x.043 bar and 3 chains: Stihl 61PMM3, Woodland 30LP, and Oregon 90PX. I will see how this compares to the 1/4" setup

The woodland pro in 3/8lp 0.043 I got was disappointing in that it is just the 0.050 sized cutters on the smaller gauge drive links. I have a number of things running the Stihl 44 dl bars and chain in 61pmm3 and the Stihl bar cover that gets cut to size and heat gun modified.

As for 1/4 inch pitch chain I have both Oregon 25ap and Stihl 13RM (the 0,050" gauge stuff) and for me it works a lot nicer if you can run it on a rim sprocket as opposed to a spur. Derails rather easy there is a good reason it has fallen out of favor most likely. The Stihl product does last very long before not cutting well.

Seeing as this is arborist site not timber faller (it may be feller) site isn't it kind of strange that besides myself (who has pretty much gone battery in this class) this Husqvarna model coming or maybe even here now as it is March does not have threads or comments pertaining to it like when will it arrive. Seems to be a direct competitor to the Echo of this thread. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/chainsaws/t525/967633312/

I've been thinking of putting a 16" 3/8lp x 1/4 on a ported echo. Anbody running that setup?
I got a 14" double-guard bar with a 3/8lp .050 chain on mine right now because I buggered a drive link on the 12" that it came with and didn't want to put it back on after I filed it for fear of wearing the sprocket. And I haven't acquired another 12" chain yet.
20190105_111638.jpg
Pulls the 14 just fine and I like the balance better than the 10" I tried on it first.

I think the 12 and 14 inch bars are a perfect fit on this saw. But could definitely see the advantage of the smoother cut with a 1/4 pitch mini chain for pruning big shrubs and small trees.
1/4 should have less chatter also.

I got a 14" double-guard bar with a 3/8lp .050 chain on mine right now because I buggered a drive link on the 12" that it came with and didn't want to put it back on after I filed it for fear of wearing the sprocket. And I haven't acquired another 12" chain yet.
View attachment 720651
Pulls the 14 just fine and I like the balance better than the 10" I tried on it first.

I think the 12 and 14 inch bars are a perfect fit on this saw. But could definitely see the advantage of the smoother cut with a 1/4 pitch mini chain for pruning big shrubs and small trees.
1/4 should have less chatter also.

Anything is less chatter than that stock VXL chain

I hope the T525 is awesome. I'm so deep in 2511t and 150t that I haven't been looking at anything new. I hope to get one on the bench this summer though.

Those drive links are pretty haggard, but considering the amount of tooth left I would take the time to file them. I don't like full chisel on the 2511t. It chatters and makes a rough cut. I believe the PXL is a semi chisel, so somewhat better.

I hadn't really thought about it, but the chatter is probably as bad for the sprocket as bad drive teeth. So yeah, PXL seems to be correct.

Back