Log Splitter Inconsistent pressure issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshy

Reaction score
Hi All

I am looking for some help on a log splitter issue I have. I tried searching, but could not find someone who described a similar issue of inconsistent performance.

I have a 18 ton log splitter (4" bore @ 3000psi) with a 2 stage hydraulic pump driven by a 3-hp 1800rpm electric motor. Everything is basically brand new (less than 2 hours on it). I installed a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the pump and brand new oil. The splitter serves double duty as a press as well by replacing the wedge.

My issue is when I first start splitting, I can dead head and build 3000psi. But after using it for a while (maybe 15 minutes) I notice it getting weaker and I will check it and it will only be able to build like 2000psi and it seems like it maybe taking a bit longer to build the pressure. Nothing seems like it is getting very hot. If it is 40F out, pump and reservoir and control valve maybe feel like 60F?

If I let the splitter sit for about an hour, it will return to the 3000psi pressure.

I suspect aeration, but my reservoir is full and the only thing that seems to be leaking is a very slight weep from the cylinder seal.

Does your reservoir have a vent? 60 degrees fluid temp is well below the optimum operating temperature for hydraulics which is 120 - 140 degrees.

Yes, it has a vented cap. If I over-fill the reservoir, the fluid burps out the cap during use. Is there a risk with not enough air space in the reservoir? What is the risk of the fluid not getting up to temp?

I have to go on a work trip for the next week, but I will take some pictures of the setup and I will run it for a while (an hour or so) with a thermometer in the reservoir to measure the actual temp fluid temp when I return.

You could be right on the aeration. Tank inlets & outlets & their locations might play a part - without seeing it.

Could also be a chance there is a spot on the suction side where it's pulling a little air in - clamps/fittings all tight?

What hydraulic fluid are you using?Name brand or cr8p?
Had a similar problem with my dump truck.
Hoist needed rebuilding,took it in,they rebuild the seals and wipers on it.
Got it back ,after hauling a couple loads (live a mile or so from a rock quarry),wouldn't lift a full load unless i idled it up HIGH.
Anyway,called the guy,he had no idea except to flush system, change filter.
They used a generic hydraulic oil,it started foaming after a while.
Changed fluid,works like always now

You could be right on the aeration. Tank inlets & outlets & their locations might play a part - without seeing it.

Could also be a chance there is a spot on the suction side where it's pulling a little air in - clamps/fittings all tight?

Clamp and fitting are all tight, just checked. I did notice the supply line to my pump had a slight high spot, maybe air got trapped in there and then got into the oil?

What hydraulic fluid are you using?Name brand or cr8p?
Had a similar problem with my dump truck.
Hoist needed rebuilding,took it in,they rebuild the seals and wipers on it.
Got it back ,after hauling a couple loads (live a mile or so from a rock quarry),wouldn't lift a full load unless i idled it up HIGH.
Anyway,called the guy,he had no idea except to flush system, change filter.
They used a generic hydraulic oil,it started foaming after a while.
Changed fluid,works like always now

The more I think about it, the more I think this very much could be the problem.
I used the hydraulic oil they sell at costco. See attached for label. That along with being a slightly higher weight (AW46 vs AW32) in cold temps ( I assume higher viscosity oil entrains air better?)

Do you recommend a brand (Valvoline, Chevron, Mobil)?

20190313_184531.jpg 20190313_184607.jpg 20190313_184845.jpg 20190313_185058.jpg

How much does that pump flow? How many gallons is the tank?

I've never seen hydraulic oil at the Costco, though it's been several years since I've been there. I quickly realized that I didn't need 6 bottles of ketchup, a 150 pack of toilet paper, 5lb cans of tuna, etc!

We get oil at Napa, under the account it's about $140 for 3 pails. They have some "deal" where the price is better for 3 pails. The next price break is I think 20 or 25 pails, and yes, have had to buy that much oil more than once.

I use ordinary ATF in my splitter. Manufacturer recommended. I think also recommended by other manufacturers also.

Hi All

I am looking for some help on a log splitter issue I have. I tried searching, but could not find someone who described a similar issue of inconsistent performance.

I have a 18 ton log splitter (4" bore @ 3000psi) with a 2 stage hydraulic pump driven by a 3-hp 1800rpm electric motor. Everything is basically brand new (less than 2 hours on it). I installed a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the pump and brand new oil. The splitter serves double duty as a press as well by replacing the wedge.

My issue is when I first start splitting, I can dead head and build 3000psi. But after using it for a while (maybe 15 minutes) I notice it getting weaker and I will check it and it will only be able to build like 2000psi and it seems like it maybe taking a bit longer to build the pressure. Nothing seems like it is getting very hot. If it is 40F out, pump and reservoir and control valve maybe feel like 60F?

If I let the splitter sit for about an hour, it will return to the 3000psi pressure.

I suspect aeration, but my reservoir is full and the only thing that seems to be leaking is a very slight weep from the cylinder seal.

Have you used this set up in the past or is this a new build? Is your motor a 1800RPM motor or is it a 3600 RPM motor? Those two stage pumps are made for 3600 motors if you are running half speed that could cause a lot of issues.

Pressure relief valve dumping back to tank ? Cavitation will damage a cane pump quickly , however you would have elevated oil temps and foam with cavitation . Secondly , direction valve seals could cause blow by but against normally with hot oil temps !

Latest posts

Back