husqvarna 257 fix it or not

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

framecat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I need some advice on if I should fix my 257 I can't find a cylinder just a piston and ring it's in really good shape on the outside but I have been having trouble getting it to start hot so I dug a little deeper and of course it needed a gas line no big deal but the compression is just at 90 psi and it needs a brake band I bought it new in the 90s and it's been a fantastic saw but it's not my main saw I have a ehco CS 600 p that I love and my collection of antique saws all plastic saws are work saws for me the cylinder is not scuffed up and the oil pump is pretty new what do you guys think? Fix it or not

Take some pics of the cylinder before you order parts. Most likely it can be cleaned but before you order parts let's have a look.

I need some advice on if I should fix my 257 I can't find a cylinder just a piston and ring it's in really good shape on the outside but I have been having trouble getting it to start hot so I dug a little deeper and of course it needed a gas line no big deal but the compression is just at 90 psi and it needs a brake band I bought it new in the 90s and it's been a fantastic saw but it's not my main saw I have a ehco CS 600 p that I love and my collection of antique saws all plastic saws are work saws for me the cylinder is not scuffed up and the oil pump is pretty new what do you guys think? Fix it or not

Definitely fix it. Basically the same chassis as the well loved Husqvarna 262XP.

There ain't a whole lot different between the two save the intake and tank parts. There may be a couple other small bits. A 262 top end is a direct bolt on for that saw.

FIX THAT SAW!!!!

If you have a machine shop you may be able to get that to work! Different series saw though, so not a bolt on.

don’t the numbers mean, 257 is the (2) second generation of the 57 model.
Then 357 would mean it’s the 3rd generation of the 57 model?

I don’t know what interchanges.

don’t the numbers mean, 257 is the (2) second generation of the 57 model.
Then 357 would mean it’s the 3rd generation of the 57 model?

I don’t know what interchanges.
You are correct in regards to the series, however, the last 2 digits (in this case "57") only approximate the cc's of the saw. The bore/stroke/intake/exhaust/decomp and base bolt pattern usually all change when a new series is introduced.

And then there are "families" within each series that share many parts. In this case, the 254/257/261/262 are part of a family within the "2" series.

But... Husqvarna also had the "1" series and the 2 digit series which share many parts with various families in the "2" series. It can be a bit confusing but the easiest way to learn what parts will interchange is to buy every Husqvarna saw ever made and study them. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond I'll take some pics and post them .also what about crank seals should I go ahead and put them in to or just do a top end?

If they are cheap and you don't mind doing it, it won't hurt.
But if there is no vac leak I would just do the top end

That is what she looks like .on a lighter note I have some yard sale finds I am happy with if I could find that big homelite 2 near new 36 bars and new 1/2 chain with a solo 36 bar 50 bucksWP_20190308_004.jpg WP_20190308_007.jpg

I notice a wire close to the flywheel fan...

Make sure those are tucked up tidy when you reassemble..
I just put a new coil on it before I took it out last weekend I guess thay popped out of the holders will have to zip tie them good catch. Thanks

Latest posts

Back