Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep..View attachment 721281this is above our house but thankfully drains away from us, well mostly anyway..

We have a short section (several miles) of State Hiway 27 a few miles away with slot trenches like that. The highway was closed for a couple weeks due to snow kept drifting and closing it faster than they could keep it open. Finally opened last weekend. Average snow depth here util the warmup started a week ago was about 1.5'

We have a short section (several miles) of State Hiway 27 a few miles away with slot trenches like that. The highway was closed for a couple weeks due to snow kept drifting and closing it faster than they could keep it open. Finally opened last weekend. Average snow depth here util the warmup started a week ago was about 1.5'
62FB2C42-E9E3-435C-B203-06FFE64BA49F.png
That’s a bunch of snow

Scrounging wood?

I had so many offers to come and cut in the beginning. These guys wanted to be my partner. We cut together and I would pour it on with the 2100. One or two days they would last. One thought it was he didn’t have a husky chainsaw. I took him to the husky dealer and he purchased a new 480cd at the time. He still couldn’t keep up.

How many guys gave up cutting trees with you?

I built a 76 Chevy c30 into a k30 with locker diffs to haul firewood at first. I could back up to the trees, no carrying. Just load the truck. In 77 the first k30 come out. The 2wd frame was the same with up front. My 76 had the 8” heavy wrecker frame rails with the 11k rear Dana 80. A 400th tranny with the lower first gear and a 400hp 350. I raced a k30 plow truck with a sander while I was hauling a cord of firewood and beat him we both laughed. Lol I had 72 leaf springs in the truck. Ten leafs in each front spring with 16 leafs in the main and 10 leafs n each helper. I almost rolled the truck off road when the thinner front leafs flex in the off camber I stiffened it up to ten leafs. I orginal built the truck to haul diesel to the equipment I was going to buy a skidded and bunk truck. But a good corporate job killed that dream..

I wish I stayed in the woods. I hate stuffed shirts with ties they have no clue what hard work is.

Preview of what's to come for us. I learned my lesson last year. I was selling some saws on cl and needed a test log. So I took the tractor out and grabbed a short 36" oak log. Took me until July to get the ruts out of the yard and grass again.

Scrounging and mud seem to go hand in hand this year. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Every spring for me. Sometimes it a bit frustrating but most of the time i just enjoy playing in the mud with my truck[emoji1787]

a826d5f9b33ab70cbfd8ff4cf179d5b0.jpg
8aae53907329d829079266c0f25400dc.jpg

That a sub compact tractor?

How does it handle that kind of work?

My buddy has a 25 HP Nortrac diesel and it moves quite a bit of wood, better that a wheel barrow. He had a renter that moved out and was a month behind on rent. Told him to just keep the tractor. It has a 4' bush hog, box blade, 5' push blade and FEL. He just sold the one house where I scrounge Oak. He still has a 3.5 acre building lot and another rental he's going to sell. He said I can have the tractor when he moves to Fla.

That a sub compact tractor?

How does it handle that kind of work?

Yes it is...22 hp kioti
Pretty good in my opinion as long as i can get on some what solid ground. Power not an issue...weight of the tractor is. More weight on the front the better as long as its not too much...we have a descent amount of snow yet...that doesnt help. Need to push it out of the way first..then its a go..i would like to try skiddin with the 3 pt hitch...there a draw bar attached...1000# lift capacity at the bar...

I dug into that Mulberry I mentioned a week or so ago. I rented the 4x7 U-Haul trailer. I brought home 2 loads today. There are at least 2 more trailers worth of good wood. The home owner said I can take what I want, and there is another smaller Mulberry farther back in the yard that I am also welcome to. I think I will wait until mud season is over before getting to that one.

What I learned here:
  • If you don't have a pole saw, get one. There is no way I could have safely gotten this tree on the ground without one.
  • Mulberry is HEAVY AS FARK when it's green. I knew it was heavy but holy balls.
Here are some before/after pics from today. The saw is my 245 with the 28" bar.

20190308_112231.jpg 20190308_112235.jpg 20190308_163638.jpg 20190308_163636.jpg 20190308_163649.jpg 20190308_163625.jpg

Yes it is...22 hp kioti
Pretty good in my opinion as long as i can get on some what solid ground. Power not an issue...weight of the tractor is. More weight on the front the better as long as its not too much...we have a descent amount of snow yet...that doesnt help. Need to push it out of the way first..then its a go..i would like to try skiddin with the 3 pt hitch...there a draw bar attached...1000# lift capacity at the bar...
Skidding with a tractor is real dangerous. The pivot point is the center of the rear tire. If your log snags it flips faster than you can react. I've had several tractors in the 35-45 HP range and used my friends JD 4020 that is 95HP and weighs in the 9000 pound range. They will flip in a heart beat. I don't think I've ever skidded with a FEL. I always had the front end loaded to it's max rating with weight. Be careful.

Back