Trouble with chain fitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parksnrec

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I picked up a ms261-c last month and also bought the “tuning kit” for it, so you get 3/8” 16” bar, 3x picco super chains and the sprocket...

everything is great, works like a charm.. but I thought I’d like to try out an RS chain and see how it works on my saw..
Went out and bought a new 33RS chain, got it home and went to instal it.. only to find that the chain does not fit the roller on the end of the bar... it looks like the bar is too “pointed” and the drivers close too much to accept the rollers teeth..

I’ve double and triple checked all the numbers on the bar and on the chain box.. both are matching.. 3/8” .050 60 drivers 16” bar... anyone had this problem?
I’m wondering if that bar was specifically designed for the low profile picco
Super chains that are sold as that kit...
Thoughts?

Attachments

• C8F69F30-C8C2-4A85-98C6-CE5881951DA2.jpeg
    C8F69F30-C8C2-4A85-98C6-CE5881951DA2.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • 7035438F-A8F9-45D1-ABF1-A7DAC6A2462B.jpeg
    7035438F-A8F9-45D1-ABF1-A7DAC6A2462B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • 6EF31E13-2757-4DC4-A381-41DEFADFE60B.jpeg
    6EF31E13-2757-4DC4-A381-41DEFADFE60B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
The 3/8p drivers are smaller. You can put a 3/8 sprocket non picco and run reg 3/8. I did and love it on my 261.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I didn’t realize there was a difference, I’m just a newb that’s learning as I go, I will go out and get a standard 3/8” bar tomorrow

I’m a tradesman and not new to using chainsaws but this is my first quality saw of my own so buying thing a for it is new to me

I have 3 of them, and they do work great, just wanting to try something else.. I’ve got the extra $ and I’m sure I’ll be adding another saw to the mix before too long so it never hurts to have an extra bar and chain around haha I can see chaknsaws becoming a new addiction

I have 3 of them, and they do work great, just wanting to try something else.. I’ve got the extra $ and I’m sure I’ll be adding another saw to the mix before too long so it never hurts to have an extra bar and chain around haha I can see chaknsaws becoming a new addiction

Pretty sure you will need the rim too.

I think it’s 0000 642 1240

Well that’s good to know! Glad I made that purchase. Also I found that bar/chain catalogue very helpful with all the different types of chains explained

The sprocket, chain, and guide bar work as a system: the pitch, gauge, and drive link count must match.
Change one, and you may need to change the others.
Screen shot 2019-03-08 at 8.17.31 PM.png

'3/8 Picco' is a STIHL only term; most other companies call this '3/8 low profile' chain.
'RS' is a STIHL only term ('Rapid Super') for 'full chisel chain'. 'RM' is a STIHL only term ('Rapid Micro') for 'semi chisel chain'.
You can use any brand of chain on that saw, as long as the pitch, gauge, and drive link count match the bar and sprocket.

Philbert

I bought one for my 261 also but I had to get mine from the UK because it’s not sold in the US
Yeah they aren’t very common here right now, a couple dealers here had never even heard of them.. then I walked into a store 25 minutes away and it was hanging on the wall

Back