Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug into that Mulberry I mentioned a week or so ago. I rented the 4x7 U-Haul trailer. I brought home 2 loads today. There are at least 2 more trailers worth of good wood. The home owner said I can take what I want, and there is another smaller Mulberry farther back in the yard that I am also welcome to. I think I will wait until mud season is over before getting to that one.

What I learned here:
  • If you don't have a pole saw, get one. There is no way I could have safely gotten this tree on the ground without one.
  • Mulberry is HEAVY AS FARK when it's green. I knew it was heavy but holy balls.
Here are some before/after pics from today. The saw is my 245 with the 28" bar.

View attachment 721386 View attachment 721387 View attachment 721388 View attachment 721391 View attachment 721389 View attachment 721390
I never realized how heavy it was till another member pointed out to me that what I thought were small rounds were close to 75 pounds a piece. He was surprised I was throwing them in the truck by hand.

I dug into that Mulberry I mentioned a week or so ago. I rented the 4x7 U-Haul trailer. I brought home 2 loads today. There are at least 2 more trailers worth of good wood. The home owner said I can take what I want, and there is another smaller Mulberry farther back in the yard that I am also welcome to. I think I will wait until mud season is over before getting to that one.

What I learned here:
  • If you don't have a pole saw, get one. There is no way I could have safely gotten this tree on the ground without one.
  • Mulberry is HEAVY AS FARK when it's green. I knew it was heavy but holy balls.

View attachment 721386 View attachment 721387 View attachment 721388 View attachment 721391 View attachment 721389 View attachment 721390

Yes, mulberry is heavy when green. Is it me or is that one BIG mulberry? I don't recall seeing them that big around here.

My buddy Scott just sent me this picture of the road he’s working on today, not sure how deep it is on left but those bars are 12’View attachment 721315this picture taken close to same spot going the other direction, last May I think.View attachment 721316

thanks for the pix! I always like seeing snow pix from Washington State... reminds me of some trips up to summits in the High Cascades... but I don't remember eastern wa getting so much snow. that's quite a snow blower...

but then looks like whole state has seen more than its share this year!

What I learned here:

imo, takes some real fortitude to get out and cut and split wood in winter's grip! thx for the pix...

this should make some of you get a good laff! almost a 'why bother?' compared to some of the pix and scenes I see here. but, imo... all firewood scrounging is serious business. and as such, I never run out of firewood! :D

barely toothpix to some, but a nice scrounge for me. inside the city the causal homeowner has to be diligent in his search. firewood size, no splitting required. always good stuff! and still some good wood even if a drop. I found this 2 houses down the street lying on some leaves bags for yard pickup day. I couldn't resist. I was walking my dog, so on return leg just put under my arm and walked it in. a 'I don't pass it up!...' walk-in-a-scrounge! scrounges. lol did I mention it? I never run out of firewood! easy peasey always gets my attention! ;)

barely a toothpick's scrounge. but free oak for the taking... plenty fire in that wood!P8150024.JPG
P8150026.JPG mostly for outdoor use, but when its solid and clean oak... I will burn it inside.

I had my eye on some other nearly as close locations. so this haul put me in the mood. besides, the weather was great for scrounging. overcast, cool... and slight breeze. so I went down the street a bit and took out a deadfall, quite tall... over 20' high... and some related branches to some. lol, but I just see it as requirements: saw only! splitter for another day. lots of fire in these bits n pieces of oak... oak tree drop... given my Pacific NW heritage... any good firewood activity keeps me interested. I still have to cut this up. but mid 80's today... but I may get to it. wood don't show up usually on its own, and I have yet to see it cut itself up for the firewood pile! lol -

when I show up with such... I can hear mr Brutus applauding! ~ :clap:

P8150032.JPG

View attachment 721450 They do get big around here. The one Bobby is working on is the same size as the ones we did at Steve's. The one in the pic above is the biggest I've seen personaly.

reminds me of some of those early days logging pix we see from time to time... what size is the smaller Echo JM?...

one of my neighbors has frequent drop from their oaks. usually they just put it at base of one of their big oaks in corner of yard. sometimes I go in and cull it out. they appreciate it. they had some help to put what had accumulated out to curb for tree pick up. there was a dead tree, no idea type. after a few days of seeing it and being out gathering firewood... I decided to cut it up. wont burn any of it inside, but will make more than just a couple of fires outside... mite cut the root chunk in half first before burning it...

as they say, one man's ceiling is another man's floor! ~
P8150033.JPG

I never realized how heavy it was till another member pointed out to me that what I thought were small rounds were close to 75 pounds a piece. He was surprised I was throwing them in the truck by hand.

good for you JM! :D you make it sound like mere 'child's play!' lol... here is a round of :clap: :clap: for you! especially since I don't even like hauling in 40# feed sacks! lol.....

Scrounging and mud seem to go hand in hand this year. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not here. Still froze up solid. had to haul from the outside stacks to the porch again today. I ran out in the woodshed and porch, stocking the back porch now before the thaw hits and the haul paths turn to mud.

The wind was from the east today. Promised myself next time that happened this old dead ash was coming down. Tried to drop it between a couple hackleberries but caught the one on the west / left. Could NOT lose this tree to the east or it was going down a 30' embankment into a swamp.
That's a 1 1/2 lb. coffee tin on the stump for reference.20190309_121810.jpg 20190309_121611.jpg 20190309_121338.jpg

I had my eye on some other nearly as close locations. so this haul put me in the mood. besides, the weather was great for scrounging. overcast, cool... and slight breeze. so I went down the street a bit and took out a deadfall, quite tall... over 20' high... and some related branches to some. lol, but I just see it as requirements: saw only! splitter for another day. lots of fire in these bits n pieces of oak... oak tree drop... given my Pacific NW heritage... any good firewood activity keeps me interested. I still have to cut this up. but mid 80's today... but I may get to it. wood don't show up usually on its own, and I have yet to see it cut itself up for the firewood pile! lol -

when I show up with such... I can hear mr Brutus applauding! ~ :clap:

View attachment 721461

I have the same cart but yellow , I like your runflats :)

Knocked down a bunch of trees today and got them hauled home before the big rain storm predicted for tomorrow. We got everything done for the drywallers at my buddy's place so today was my day to go to the bush. My wife went there and did a few odds and ends though. I cut down one of the big trees that the wood peckers have ripped apart. The top exploded when it hit the ground. It was all punky at the top so I guess I might as well cut everything now. At the rate I'm going my sawmill will likely never get used, the wood will be rotten before I get to milling it. I should have bought a processor instead I guess. Once the ash is gone I could cut up some cedar and mill it I guess. And there is always the poplar if I really want to run the mill. Got 3 big loads home and one flat tire. Good thing I have a spare log wagon.
20190309_172847.jpg 20190309_172809.jpg 20190309_172803.jpg 20190309_142921.jpg 20190309_132239.jpg

Knocked down a bunch of trees today and got them hauled home before the big rain storm predicted for tomorrow. We got everything done for the drywallers at my buddy's place so today was my day to go to the bush. My wife went there and did a few odds and ends though. I cut down one of the big trees that the wood peckers have ripped apart. The top exploded when it hit the ground. It was all punky at the top so I guess I might as well cut everything now. At the rate I'm going my sawmill will likely never get used, the wood will be rotten before I get to milling it. I should have bought a processor instead I guess. Once the ash is gone I could cut up some cedar and mill it I guess. And there is always the poplar if I really want to run the mill. Got 3 big loads home and one flat tire. Good thing I have a spare log wagon.
View attachment 721663 View attachment 721665 View attachment 721666 View attachment 721667 View attachment 721668
Every time you post something like this I get jealous.

Latest posts

Back