Oregon chain vs Woodland Pro (Carlton) vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't touched the chain on the little saw, but it seems as if I'm sharpening the 6100 chain fairly often. I use the little saw as my "beater" it goes on the wheeler, cuts down the tree and sections it. It's a fairly apples to apples comparison.

Sounds like woodland is working great for you. The few loops of .325 and NK that I tried held an edge good except the square chisel, but I expected that to need frequent touchups.

Imo the best thing to do is get a loop of each and find out for youself, i have found carlton the hardest wearing in dry Aussie hardwood followed by stihl then Oregon. Thats using semichisel, the down side of the carlton is its a PITA to file very hard on files so much so that i bought a chain grinder. Here in Aus the going rate per DL is stihl: 75c, oregon: 45c and carlton: 30c for me carlton works out the best, all though another thing to throw into the mix is its the least smoth cutting. Oregon is the smoothest.

I'd put the order slightly differently to Jeff. Stihl, Carlton, Oregon. It's a bit of a risk but I try to standardise on stihl full chisel and round grind it. I just like it better than carlton when felling, but bucking firewood rings/rounds I think Carlton semi is better suited, but I'm trying to get it down to one roll of chain to do everything, even if it doesn't do it all the best. For that reason, i still prefer Stihl overall.

Back