Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a little google search for "track chisel" and did some reading. Apparently it's a metal cutting chisel on a stick. High carbon alloy. New they cost between $100 and $150. I saw drawings of someone holding the chisel in place comfortably distant from the fellow swinging the sledge at it.

Is it just me or does everyone that develops an interest in axes start sharpening everything made of metal within reach? That sanding block works quite well after I figured out how to flex it while putting sandpaper on it so that it pulls nice and tight. Oh, and if you sharpen your 12" machete up and then use it for a makeshift draw knife, wear gloves. It'll let the blood out if you give it a chance.

Finally got this head hung i got from multifaceted ,4.5 lb with a shape similar to the hb arvika ,got a link racing axe handle because the eye was larger like a racing axe uses ,the grip was pretty rough ,so i reshaped it for comfort.View attachment 720410 View attachment 720411 View attachment 720412 View attachment 720413 View attachment 720414 View attachment 720415 View attachment 720416

Looks awesome! I forgot how big that bad boy was, never thought to compare it side-by-side with my Arvika. As a fallers or chainsaw axe, how do you like it?

I still have yet to use the square chains you sent me. Ever since I have been able to get back to work with my knee I have been swinging axes and not much splitting or chainsaw work. Soon that will change...

Looks awesome! I forgot how big that bad boy was, never thought to compare it side-by-side with my Arvika. As a fallers or chainsaw axe, how do you like it?

I still have yet to use the square chains you sent me. Ever since I have been able to get back to work with my knee I have been swinging axes and not much splitting or chainsaw work. Soon that will change...
Just got it together ,have not tried pounding wedges yet ,it splits firewood real nice .has a little thicker blade section over the arvika so does not stick as bad doing firewood. Has a nice feel swinging it .

Didn't see any Hudson Bay pattern stuff either. I saw a video of a guy that altered a carpenter's hatchet into a little bearded hatchet that looks cool. Thought about trying it with mine.

Recently received an old, very old 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) Swedish collared axe from my friend in Östergötland, Sweden. It is a Hults Bruk Norrbottens pattern, probably circa 1910. They don't make handles for these any more, so I will have to make one from an 8/4 piece of lumber. I have since filed down the minor mushrooming and re-worked the grind. Not a final sharpening or grind just yet, but close...

w6vDn8n.jpg

oJOw0jP.jpg

bLjAx2B.jpg

xDust4G.jpg
GCkeIWA.jpg

Back