First saw : Stihl 028 or husky 445?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigizverka

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well as the title says I'm buying my first saw. These two are úsed but in decent shape. Both would be around 150$, Will apreciate all the help and advice I can get from you guys.
Ps. There is no other options for úsed saws anywhere near me(I am from Spain)
Thanks in advance !!!

Enviado desde mi ANE-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

I forgot to say its a 028 avs wood boss and husky is 5y old..

Maybe i could get it for as low as 130$
aa2430c71baf794c55682a262908db17.jpg
43d2ec811df74600abd5ad23a09f91ab.jpg

I own several 028's the AV super being the most desireable version. I'm a Stihl guy, and I would go with the 028. If it's in decent shape I would even pick-up another one, esp the AV super.

These saw are from an era of the highest quality manufacturing. They were very much hand assembled in Germany and Virginia depending on the version.

As far as cutting performance is concerned that 028 is a sure winner. I have found the 028 to be in the category of industrial/commercial use. Even though it's a smaller saw it's rated for continuous operation. I have found many saws in the 40-50cc size require a 50% cycle or they run really hot.

You may wish to replace the rubber mounts. Overall the 028 is highly recommend.

Thank You guys, still talking with both about the price. Not sure I want to pay 150$ for the saw that has my age..

Guys at the end I went for 028 avs, got it for 100 euros. Starts good, oils good, needs a cleaning tho. Would you recommend diésel and a toothbrush for cleaning it good? Will post some pics tommorow

Well as the title says I'm buying my first saw. These two are úsed but in decent shape. Both would be around 150$, Will apreciate all the help and advice I can get from you guys.
Thanks in advance !!!

It depends on what you want to do with it. The
Thanks in advance !!!

It depends on what you want to do with it. The 45 is really light and a good limber, but with a plastic case not as durable, but easy to work on. The 028 is metal case and built like a tank but heavy, it should run, idle good at all positions and have good compression if you spend that on it. I have had both like the bar and chain oiling system better on the 028 over any of the homeowner grade saws.

I am ok with the weight and will do almost all the time is firewood duty... Oiling and comoresion are great, starts easy.. When its on Idle it sound strange, it doesn't do a dirt bike sound. I will post a video tomorrow, any opinión will be of great help as I am newby

You made the right choice. I own a husky 450 and a stihl 028 woodsboss and the stihl is a lot better saw with more power. I just used it to cut down a 60 foot ash tree. From limbing to cutting up the base, over 16 inches, it did not bog down or struggle. A sharp stihl chain makes a difference too.

Hey guys, here is the vid. Sorry for video quality. The other saw is a Óleo Mac 2hp heavy as sh.. I think I have to adjust carb settings because it dies every time I stop revving. Also I have a user manual, its in spanish so I understand it although its not my first language (but neither is english). Any suggestions or advice is welcome, I want to use it pretty much when ever I can and it will be my go to saw (no more barrowing from my father in law) Thanks again in advance!
Ps. Be gentle, I know I dont know what I am doing, first saw chain was to tight..
PPs. Thats the first time I started 028 or any stihl saw so bare with mehttp://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5c8e805a6e20c/VID_20190317_180744.mp4

Latest posts

Back