What's your favorite firewood scrounging saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got a pretty big job with several pine trees that are over a foot around and the damned dolmar out cut the 372xp big time. so I switched the chains around thinking it was the chain... same thing, however I noticed that the 372xp is cutting crooked. so I guess the bar must be bent?
View attachment 684776 View attachment 684777 View attachment 684778 View attachment 684779

Your cutting crooked issue might be that your bar just needs a good dressing to square it up, and remove any burrs along the edges.

I didn’t think there was a break in period on my new husky 575 & 385. When each saw hit about 10 cords they started to run like my older huskys they screamed.

One rail on the bar can wear more than the other. The 1” wide belt sander from harbor freight can square bars. Then I take a three corner file and deburr the groove on both sides and chamfer the outside edges of the bar, bar maintenance.

I didn’t think there was a break in period on my new husky 575 & 385. When each saw hit about 10 cords they started to run like my older huskys they screamed.

One rail on the bar can wear more than the other. The 1” wide belt sander from harbor freight can square bars. Then I take a three corner file and deburr the groove on both sides and chamfer the outside edges of the bar, bar maintenance.

What grit sand paper do you use on that 1” wide sander?

I was a scrounge small branches, tree tops with my 70’s husky 240sg. Until she kicked back and ran across my logging boots as my toes curled under my foot. It just tattooed my tip of my boot. Then I figured out cutting small branches for kindly just wasn’t worth it. I leave the 1” diameter stuff on the ground. I’ll never cut on a pile of brush again.

You can learn from my close calls.

My 562xp is my go to saw for firewood now that I’ve got a 20” bar for it. I was pleased with it for felling and big logs with the 24”, but now I like it even more. I’m used to running a 550xp with a 20” at work, but the 562 is way faster.

MS462 normal 18" on the picture. Same balance with 20 light.
4acb33e3d23fd311ccd424ce7376673f.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H818 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk
Another vote for the 462, they even handle a 25" bar with full chisel in Australian hardwood. 20190425_124751.jpg

anything up to 10" rounds I, personaly, would use a mcculloch 484 type saw, simply because they are really good value for money, they can take a beating, have a really good quality Italian Gilardoni cylinder, decent anti-vibes, very light with a narrow kerf bar which flies through soft wood as good as any other. I'm not saying they the best saw in the world, but an ideal cheat and cheerful saw ideal for what your doing, you can pick non runners up for as little as £15 here in the u.k . and they perform really well with a muffler mod. why would I want to take a larger more expensive pro-grade saw out when I can get the job done equally as fast with a cheaper saw? but only for ego's sake ;o) an 024, 026 or husky 346xp would equally do smaller stuff.

Back