stihl ms170 carb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have an answer to your specific question, however I am running a $10 dollar Chinese wt215 on my MS170 off of amazon thats working fine so far. Its been around 2 years since i did it and it gets occasional use. Really helped that little saw being able to muffler mod and richen it up for some throttle response!

The best thing I have found is to buy an ms250 carburetor and pop the ball check out of the front and then it will work perfect with full adjustments. You will have to drill a few holes. One for the idle, one for the high and one for the low. Really an easy job though and that saw will run like you would expect.

I was looking on ebay, and it appears that the Walbro wt215 is the carb for the Stihl ms250. I also saw some listings for kits that included air filters, etc. Would a filter from a MS250 fit the MS170 as an upgrade?

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 025 carb1.jpg
    025 carb1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 025carb1.jpg
    025carb1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 025carb2.jpg
    025carb2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 27
  • 025carb3.jpg
    025carb3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 025carb4.jpg
    025carb4.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 025carb5.jpg
    025carb5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
Yes as that is how you can access the plug and push it out. I hope the pictures help.

That is on the ms260 carburetor not the ms250 carburetor. You don't have to do anything other than pop the plug and mount the carb on this one.

Ok, just got a new ms170 fer my father-n-law, on sale fer $159.00! (I may buy one fer me as well! )
He has cut a TON of wood with his old 170 over the years! Ran over it twice with his tractor! Still runs well, and cuts with it almost everyday! But the chainbrake is busted on his old one (tractor) and he needed a second saw anyway fer when he gets his “pinched”!
I primarily use ms250/o25’s MM’ed! (And have cut a TON with also) (The ms170’s and ms250’s are great saws!)
Anyway, after seeing the difference in mine after being MM’ed he wants his 170 MM’ed! Hence, the reason I’m here! ☺️
I want to thank everyone fer their imput on doing this on this and other threads!
I’m going to order the wt215 soon and give it a go!
Stihl has their ms170’s on sale fer $159.00 till sometime in June 2019..so like I mentioned, I think I’ll pick another one up fer me and carb/MM it as well!
One question though, is it worth advancing the timing on these? And I’ll have to search but is there a thread on how to do that as well? (I’ll take a look)
Hummm..what about advancing the timing on the ms250’s?? (More reading!)
Ok, thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back