Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly cut up and ready for pickup - except the 8 or so pieces that will get noodled. That will be this weekend's project.

So, that tree farther back on the property produces red chips amongst the white. I believe it's a box elder. Still, I'll take it.

I brought the 490, the 346, and the 3516. The 346 performed flawlessly as usual. The 490 got retarded and the 3516 saved the day. I'll start another thread on the 490 so as to not have it get lost in this thread.
It is mud fest out there gentlemen. Be careful.

Don't pass up the smaller dead limbs Bobby. They can be almost dry enough to burn now. Cut this about a week ago and around 10% moisture now.
View attachment 721777
I have some rounds that size that have been on the rack for 2 years or better and the middle is still around 18%. I need to find me some dead mulberry.

Got the work done at my buddies place but that was about it for the day other than clearing ice , snow and water off the driveway. Grand kids were over so that took priority. So I got thinking about how much wood I hauled out yesterday. I got 3 wagon loads about the same or a little bigger than the one in the picture I posted. The orange stakes are 36 to 40" tall, at least 72" between the stakes and the logs are 13'2" long. Any guesses as to how many cord of split firewood that would end up being? So 13 x 4 x 6 = 312 cubic ft / 128= 2 3/8 cord per load? That means that I cut down, trimmed up, skidded to loading area, cut up to length, loaded up onto wagon, hauled home and unloaded onto piles 7 1/3 cord of wood? Damn no wonder I'm dying. I headed to the bush at 10:30, noticed flat tire on last load at 5:30 so would have been done by 6:30 if I didn't have to go home, change wagons, unload and reload. So 8 hours of work, I don't stop for eating or drinking. I think that's pretty good considering I wasn't rushing or trying to set any records and had a few time wasting moments too. Anyone know a better way to guess at the amount of firewood on my wagon other than scaling each log?

Well , no wood scrounged this weekend , got told my weekend plans :(

2mdCTVk.jpg

Well, if my Dad were still alive he would have turned 100 today. Surly part of the Greatest Generation, he grew up during the depression, was in the reserves when WW II broke out, was 1 of only 2 guys who were still in the unit and returned at the end of the war (all the rest were replacements) (771st Tank Destroyers). When the War was over he didn't get to come home, since he spoke both Italian and German fluently, he helped them document the stories of the Concentration Camp survivors.

He returned home a fallen down drunk, but somehow recovered and (while working full time) went to school at night and first got his Accounting Degree, then his Law Degree, graduating with honors from NYU. He was a workaholic the rest of his life, but always put family first.

Some of his favorite sayings:

Quality will be remembered long after the price paid is forgotten.

Handsome is as handsome does.

Mother Nature gives you the first 40 years, after that you better work on it.

Whether you are rich or poor, it is nice to have money.

Pick the lean horse for the long race.

Attachments

• NNJr-FtEthanAllen-Jan1942.pdf
    210.8 KB · Views: 13
  • NNJr-WarPhotos-June1945.pdf
    322.1 KB · Views: 10
They don’t come like that anymore.
Well, if my Dad were still alive he would have turned 100 today. Surly part of the Greatest Generation, he grew up during the depression, was in the reserves when WW II broke out, was 1 of only 2 guys who were still in the unit and returned at the end of the war (all the rest were replacements) (771st Tank Destroyers). When the War was over he didn't get to come home, since he spoke both Italian and German fluently, he helped them document the stories of the Concentration Camp survivors.

He returned home a fallen down drunk, but somehow recovered and (while working full time) went to school at night and first got his Accounting Degree, then his Law Degree, graduating with honors from NYU. He was a workaholic the rest of his life, but always put family first.

Thanks for sharing. That was a great generation. Now, We have to deal with the Snow flake generation. :-(

Back