What is a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10 ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Macs are Wonderful! especially if treated well! My ProMac 700 screams especially after hotrodding by Jereme Bell! the 10-10s have good RPMs going for them and will run a 28" bar with only a 54cc engine! that is pretty incredible! and they Hot rod/port nicely if you know what your doing...They can give a 70cc saw a run for their money
We hope you love your 10-10!
Thread Resurrected! :clap::clap::clap::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:
Aloha TD

This is pretty cool! This post started in 08 I think?
Popular opinion of Macs seemed pretty low in general. Now, they are almost sacred and revered.
Supply and demand, coupled with the new "green" limitations.
People who have only ran the newer limited saws get hold of one of the old torque monsters, and it changes their entire outlook.
I personally dont want anything that ISNT YELLOW.
I dont make a living with a saw, just cut a lot of firewood.
If I did, it would be a different story, as parts availability and service/warranty support would be a real factor.
As it is, I can take the time to service the 1010S and PM700 properly. A little compressed air and some brake parts cleaner, along with a new spark plug and the right lube for recoil starter, and these old brutes are as reliable as anything.
Both of mine start and run well. They will let you know when they get dirty and need cleaned, as they tend to overheat. Thats what most people complain about is hot starting. Never had an issue, but I dont let oil and sawdust build up around cooling fins and the coil.
Did I mention that the 700 with an 18" bar literally CANT be stalled down unless the tree pinches tight on the bar? You can lay down on it if you want. It doesnt care. Try that with your new "faster" saw. A shorter bar and an aggressive chain grind will cut faster than a lot of 15k rpm saws. That torque is a factor. They were built that way for a reason
Not saying anythimg bad about modern saws. They are faster and lighter than the older ones. I just dont believe they are as well built, but maybe they arent made to last as long as the older ones. If they were, Stihl and Husky might be as out of bisiness as Macculloch is.

I learned to cut with my Dad's old Mac SP 60, I Wish that I had known he was trading it off, I would have bought it, I would Love to Stihl have that old Mac around.

That "Restore Kid" is an IDIOT, I don't know what his experiences were with Husqvarna, but they sure weren't the same as Mine. I have 6 Huskies (Ok 5,and the Wife has 1;))

That old Mac SP 60 was a Great Saw, but it wouldn't hold a candle to my 266XP. I bought that 266XP New in '91, it is Stihl a Ripping saw, it has NEVER been difficult to start, usually FIRST, sometimes the Second pull. IF I have to pull it more than 3 times, I am checking the ON/OFF Switch (Done That:dumb2:) if that doesn't do it, I'm checking the Fuel Tank( Yep, Done That Too:angry::dumb2::innocent:) There is a REASON that I call my 266 "Old Reliable" closing in on 30 years old, and Stihl Running Like a Champ.

I Love those Old Mac's but that Restore Kid was sounding Like Nancy and Chucky at a Trump Rally, and sounds just about as Stupid, as Nancy and Chucky;)

BTW, some one thought this thread went back to 2008, yep, but Even Further Back to 2002:surprised3:, this thread has been revived several times

Doug :cheers:

Interesting, thats a pretty big disadvantage with respect to tunability. I would favor the 10-10s then, especially given their relative availability.

Haha, I'd love to Mark. Problem is not only into saws, but got 2 vintage sleds, 4 modern sleds, and a hot rod I'm trying to build. Trying to actually get myself down to about 10 saws. My Macs aren't going anywhere though, they are too fun....and make such a wonderful sound!

Haha, I'd love to Mark. Problem is not only into saws, but got 2 vintage sleds, 4 modern sleds, and a hot rod I'm trying to build. Trying to actually get myself down to about 10 saws. My Macs aren't going anywhere though, they are too fun....and make such a wonderful sound!
Hey, just wanted to let you know, the 1-52 turned out great. Fixed that handle bar mount and got the right fan housing and air filter cover on it.
02ac744a659a2ef23d82903fa3a7dafa.jpg
c9b5f9855d1eaeb46b94a89c40cfb38c.jpg

Macs are Wonderful! especially if treated well! My ProMac 700 screams especially after hotrodding by Jereme Bell! the 10-10s have good RPMs going for them and will run a 28" bar with only a 54cc engine! that is pretty incredible! and they Hot rod/port nicely if you know what your doing...They can give a 70cc saw a run for their money
We hope you love your 10-10!
Thread Resurrected! :clap::clap::clap::chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw:
Aloha TD

I occasionally see mention of porting Mac saws. When I Google the topic for more info I really don't come up with much. I've got a spare pm700 cylinder and 10-10 chassis. Wouldn't mind putting together a bit of a hot rod saw, but I have no idea where to start.

I occasionally see mention of porting Mac saws. When I Google the topic for more info I really don't come up with much. I've got a spare pm700 cylinder and 10-10 chassis. Wouldn't mind putting together a bit of a hot rod saw, but I have no idea where to start.
JEREME BELL North Carolina - *Southern Boys Repair* tell him Timothy from Michigan sent you... he will treat you right, gentleman, southern hospitality, pretty much ego less fella who goes above and beyond just like the good old ,just like momma raised their boys how to be... a total pleasure to work with ... AND HE KNOWS HIS SH!T :) i will send you his phone # in a private message- aloha TD

Back