Chainsaws and the delicate human frame.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been in the firewood business for 17 years minus a few sabbaticals. I’ve had a few injuries mostly from falling on sticks and stuff. One 6 or so “ limb to the chest while doing a tree job. Lots of bee stings. Nothing persistent though. But 4 years of high school athletics presents itself every morning, and in a big way sometimes when the weather changes. It’s really dumb to subject kids to that. Give your body for a school that will forget you one season after your gone, real smart! I also spent 7 years working a job where I rode a 4 wheeler that I was too big for the suspension every day. My back has 6 bad disks to show for it. The chiropractor says all my muscle from cutting and splitting wood is holding my spine in place and preventing pain. He says if I ever stop and loose that muscle I won’t be functional without surgery or meds. Currently have zero back pain, so I’m gonna keep rolling!

I think the anti vibe of today’s equipment and increased power to weight make for equipment that doesn’t take much toll on our bodies.

it sucks the big one when you blow out a wheel. I mean can't I just break an arm now and then? I Am all British steel baby...er ..um.except for the American (Alaskan) steel down my left tibia..oh and Canadian steel in my left ankle and the Canadian steel in my right lower leg and ankle.
Yeah British steel baby. Born in England and made in North America apparently.
I'm the 6 dollar man.

Yeah I'll take a left leg bimalleilar ankle break. I will come back later for a left leg tib spiral fracture and a fib break 'on the side. yeah and probably come back to get a right leg slight ankle and tibia fracture and broken fiblia and torn legiments. And could I please have a double hernia to go?

wait! I'm not done.
sprained wrist and broken wrist. sprained foot, broken nose. and stitches in left thigh. wait! and one ****ed right hip from standing on the hill for 28 yrs.
I haven't even talked about the physical irreversible damage yet.
Most all talked about is the easy stuff to take. It gets a lot harder..And I mean a lot harder.
This work never broke my body.
Never did it break my body, It took my soul and 'broke me'. that's all.
wait that's not all

Like my father before me.. I'm a working man
And like my brother 'above me.. We fell the timber stands
He was just 24... proud and brave...but a Cedar.... laid him in his grave
I swear by the blood below my feet..you can't raise a Man back up... when he's in defeat.
-----
Virgil Caine mah name.. and I fell the west terrain.

Took a chainsaw to the face, cut the right half of my nose off, doc had to take skin from my cheek and rebuild the missing part of my nose. Shoulders and elbows are wore out from 12 years of football and 17 years of drilling and jackhammering rock. Knees are still ok sorta

Virgil will invite you into his 'emotional bathroom' but Jamie never will.

I always thought you had to be cruel to be kind... so I refused the request a few times to untie peoples hands that are in great pain and refused them of their last drink of water. their two last requests in life it would turn out.
"oh dear me"
Hard to stop thinking about that.

Virgil Caine's the name and I fell the west terrain

I escaped occupational injury by having a (mostly) desk job. My high school sport was golf, so no knee injuries. There is one chainsaw injury, however, and I will bet nobody else on this forum has had one like it. I was stretching way out to cut an oak limb one handed- should have repositioned, and I knew it at the time. The saw jumped out of the cut, bounced down the limb toward me and landed on my left index finger. Would have lost it, but I had let off the throttle and the chain was running slow when it hit. I was wearing gloves, which was good, but threads of the fabric of the gloves ended up deep in the cut. Got it sewed up, and thought all was well. Over the next few months a large tumor began to grow at the site of the cut. Finally had to get it removed:
IMG953981.jpg

Giant Cell Tumor of Tendon Sheath. Benign and probably related to the previous trauma. I've got a working finger now and lucky not to have a stump.

How many of you all with knee trouble played football or soccer in school?

Skiing. Hook a tip in slush, then rotate ski 90° outboard at 10m/sec² with an iced-up binding. POP!

I expected to see a jagged, bleeding broken bone poking out through my ski bib, but it was just the ACL, which is probably worse.

I hope you're hanging in there
Welshman? speedy recovery from the south. Good Idea for a thread. I have thought about doing this topic in the past.

I have much to add but it will take a while.

I will take you from laughing to crying.

I could contribute everything bad to chainsaw work. Its a life style.

a few std's and had my **** broken in 'reverse cowgirl' position

"I met her in a club down in North Soho Where you drink champagne and it tastes just like cherry cola C-O-L-A cola She walked up to me and she asked me to dance I asked her name and in a dark brown voice she said, "Lola" L-O-L-A "Lola"
Your'e award just arrived for your spot-on post !upload_2019-3-12_7-17-6.jpeg

Toby,

Just wondering how you’re feeling? By now, hopefully you’re probably feeling/seeing that the worst part is over, hopefully ...

In the last 2 weeks, I’ve found that I can kneel down, on a firm pad (at 3-1/2 months) and it’s not too bad at all. Just remember to keep taking it easier than you would have in the past. You have nothing to prove to yourself or anyone to show how “tough “ your new knee is..
Saw fixr

Toby,

Haven’t read all the posts, but I underwent a full knee replacement on Dec 8. The first 2 weeks are the worst, but you’ll live. I’m an electrician and was back at work in 7 weeks. Kneeling is the only issue I have, since 1/2 of the knee is completely numb, as they cut thru a nerve getting In There. Not sure you’ll climb again, but plan on 1 year to fully heal.
Take care, do your exercises religiously, and get off the opioids ASAP.
Oh, and ice...ice...baby...
It gets better

And definitely don't forget the stool softeners, the opioids will plug you up.

Hiya guys, I am doing really well thanks, I am off the morphine and starting to build up the physio, the only real painful bit is the kneecap as when I bend my leg it's so tight across the cap, its getting better by the day and the swelling is going down slowly. I was really glad to get off the morphine it was making me dream whilst I was still awake!! Thanks for your goodwill messages it means a lot!

Toby,

Just wondering how you’re feeling? By now, hopefully you’re probably feeling/seeing that the worst part is over, hopefully ...

In the last 2 weeks, I’ve found that I can kneel down, on a firm pad (at 3-1/2 months) and it’s not too bad at all. Just remember to keep taking it easier than you would have in the past. You have nothing to prove to yourself or anyone to show how “tough “ your new knee is..
Saw fixr
Well done for managing to kneel down, that is the one thing I am not looking forward to doing ! Glad you are on the road to recovery very best wishes, Toby.

Hiya guys, I am doing really well thanks, I am off the morphine and starting to build up the physio, the only real painful bit is the kneecap as when I bend my leg it's so tight across the cap, its getting better by the day and the swelling is going down slowly. I was really glad to get off the morphine it was making me dream whilst I was still awake!! Thanks for your goodwill messages it means a lot!

Good luck, you're on your way and you will heal.

2014-09-11 09.06.07.jpg

Latest posts

Back