HELP!! Newbie Ready to Sledgehammer Husky 272xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick4283

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok so first off my names Rick and I'm new to this forum. Hello all. You might need some patience if you continue reading.
SO..... I started building custom items with slabs and decided I was going to mill my own so I graduated from my Poulan homeowner's special and decided to buy me a husqvarna 272xp. I started it up at the pawn shop I purchased it from several times and it fired right up. I get it home and get excited to slab up a cedar I've been waiting years to do. 5 min or less into my cut it dies when I go to restart I notice the recoil pulley cover was missing the bottom screws. I'm guessing from me holding sideways. I decided to take apart and try to fix it and clean it up before I ruined it. I took chain brake off engaged and wound up breaking it as well as the recoil starter since it was worn out.
A year later I finally get parts to fix it as well as a makeover. I bought new carb, muffler, air filter and air filter casing, new brake, recoil starter cover assembly. I drained all fluids and put back the premixed fuel and husky bar and chain oil. Oh and I put a new spark plug. Once I put cover on and pull cord I can get 2 or 3 good pulls and it's like the sprocket or clutch catches and I have to take cover off and push it with a screw driver or something maybe an inch or so and it breaks loose and turns normal for 3 or 4 pulls. If you don't put the cover on and turn it with hand it turns freely but you can still feel good compression. If you turn the clutch backwards it turns freely every time.
Its driving me crazy. I checked to see if the cover was rubbing or something and no signs of it. I have replaced everything but have not taking housing apart and changed piston. please tell me I haven't ruined it and I'm an idiot and it's something minor.
I can post anything needed that will assist in getting this thing going.

I will take a stab but will need to know more info. First, have you tried to start it with the sprocket cover off? If not try that to see if something is still hanging up. It doesent sound like your starter but they can bind if the recoil pulley has a crack and the rope will bite into itself. Just from the info I am reading though, I would have to suspect your bearings are binding. I have seen this before and really at this point you are better off pulling it down and replacing bearings and gaskets and seals. The good news is the bearings are non proprietary which means you can buy a quality SKF or similar very reasonable. Seals and gasket kits are pretty inexpensive also. But pull the starter also and roll it over by hand with the spark plug removed and check for resistance as well. There should b minimal drag and should be quiet and smooth. This is just going through certain steps and procedures and process of elimination. Also pull the clutch and drum and oiler gear to inspect and make sure all is good on that end. Sometimes oiler gears melt and can drag and bind quite a bit. Also just out of curiosity, what are you pushing with a screwdriver?

I will take a stab but will need to know more info. First, have you tried to start it with the sprocket cover off? If not try that to see if something is still hanging up. It doesent sound like your starter but they can bind if the recoil pulley has a crack and the rope will bite into itself. Just from the info I am reading though, I would have to suspect your bearings are binding. I have seen this before and really at this point you are better off pulling it down and replacing bearings and gaskets and seals. The good news is the bearings are non proprietary which means you can buy a quality SKF or similar very reasonable. Seals and gasket kits are pretty inexpensive also. But pull the starter also and roll it over by hand with the spark plug removed and check for resistance as well. There should b minimal drag and should be quiet and smooth. This is just going through certain steps and procedures and process of elimination. Also pull the clutch and drum and oiler gear to inspect and make sure all is good on that end. Sometimes oiler gears melt and can drag and bind quite a bit. Also just out of curiosity, what are you pushing with a screwdriver?
I don't know what half the parts are called sorry. I'm pushing on the sprocket I guess it is. Not to the point where I could bend or damage anything. It spins fine with cover off and every full rotation or 2 i hear a puff like air pushing out. I will have to Google all the parts you said check and i will order bearings. This thing will be brand new by the time i get done with it. The only thing I have not touched or removed is the thing the spark plug goes into. The cylinder I guess it is. I also have not pulled the casing apart.
I thought of trying to start with the cover off but could not figure out how to safely pull it since it's not possible to wrap cord around it. Any ideas? I'm posting a few photos so you can see what I'm pushing on to give it a slight boost after the 3rd or so full rotation. Maybe you will see something obvious I'm missing.
Thanks for the help. 20190313_005916.jpg 20190313_005908.jpg 20190313_005751.jpg 20190313_005853.jpg 20190313_005825.jpg 20190313_005811.jpg 20190313_005757.jpg 20190313_011020.jpg 20190313_011022.jpg

I replaced the spark plug but never checked the spark. I just pulled the plug and put the wire on it to check the spark and the clutch spins freely perfect without catching at all. Should it do that or does that tell me where my problem is?

Don't overthink it to begin with. It's a process of elimination. The part you are showing in the picture is the flywheel. Does your starter recoil turn smooth and is the rope rotor (which is the pulley that the rope spools around) warped at all? Meaning when you pull the rope is is wobbling or catching anywhere? When you reassemble the flywheel and starter you need to pull the spark plug and see if it pulls smooth. Also make sure you have the sprocket or clutch cover off so there is no possible resistance from that or the chain. If you have a broken clutch spring it will try and turn the chain and that's tough. If you are not experienced on these saws its hard to explain scenarios that may b in play. My thoughts are, if you find someone on the site close to you that would diagnose and fix, it may b worth that route. If you were close to me I would help ya diagnose and fix it.

Don't overthink it to begin with. It's a process of elimination. The part you are showing in the picture is the flywheel. Does your starter recoil turn smooth and is the rope rotor (which is the pulley that the rope spools around) warped at all? Meaning when you pull the rope is is wobbling or catching anywhere? When you reassemble the flywheel and starter you need to pull the spark plug and see if it pulls smooth. Also make sure you have the sprocket or clutch cover off so there is no possible resistance from that or the chain. If you have a broken clutch spring it will try and turn the chain and that's tough. If you are not experienced on these saws its hard to explain scenarios that may b in play. My thoughts are, if you find someone on the site close to you that would diagnose and fix, it may b worth that route. If you were close to me I would help ya diagnose and fix it.
I was just thinking that. I havetoo much in this thing to ruin it trying to tinker with things I'm not good at. Where are you located? I'm in Alabama but headed up to Pennsylvania in a few days. If you are in the path I would gladly drop off and pay In advance to have you fix it or pay for shipping if that's an option. The flywheel spins super smooth with the spark plug out by the way.

Rick,go to the chainsaw stickies and the tbeg for manuals thread. Some one should be able to send you a IPL(parts list) and possibly a repair manual. These may help diagnose your problem. Sorry I can't help much. I'm a Stihl head. Good luck.

Rick,go to the chainsaw stickies and the tbeg for manuals thread. Some one should be able to send you a IPL(parts list) and possibly a repair manual. These may help diagnose your problem. Sorry I can't help much. I'm a Stihl head. Good luck.
That is a lot of help actually. I appreciate it.

It looks to me like in the second pic the flywheel is shinier that it should be. Possibly the metal tabs on the starter pulley are contacting the flywheel and binding up. Oh and get that POS spark plug outta there lol.
POS spark plug? Lol. I had my brother pick one up at home depot. See these are the things I need to know. Thanks. What brand do you recommend. The shiny might be cause I cleaned it with brake cleaner just as I took photos and I felt some rough raised metal so I took a file and just made it smooth without changing the surface as much as I could help it. I just hit it lightly

First off, I love the title of this thread, it gave me a chuckle :). But seriously though i'm sorry your having troubles with the saw. I think I understand what you are describing and it sounds like your starter rope rotor was damaged and killed the saw due to those starter screws being gone. I've also seen the same scenario happen from a flywheel loosening up. There's a few things worth considering, A)Starter rope rotor is damaged B)Starter rewind spring is shot or C)Flywheel pawl springs shot or gunked up. Inspect the small spring under both of those metal pawls on the flywheel. If the springs are worn or super gunked up with dirt and grime the pawls won't operate properly. You should be able to move the pawl back with your finger and as soon as you let go it should snap back easily. It would help if we could see the inner side of the starter, could you take a picture of that and post it up?

I would concur with the rope rotor but in looking at the pics and seeing that pry bar in the flywheel fins is a little suspicious and may b beyond a binding rotor. If you can't find someone close, I would offer you this. If you pay shipping fees and parts, I will repair it for you for no charge. Labor free even if I have to completely rebuild from the ground up. Worse case scenario is only a little over an hour for me to completely tear down and rebuild. That being said, if you can find someone close to at least diagnose that would b huge.

It looks like the starter pulley center is rubbing against the flywheel judging by the shiny wear pattern around the flywheel nit. It shouldn't rub there at all. Perhaps the recoil spring is not installed properly or the wrong pulley is installed - there are different sizes. Or if it is the original pulley, they can get badly worn in the bore which allows them to wobble. Also, the bottom bolts are missing from the starter housing because the bolt holes are stripped. They will have to repaired or you just keep having issues with the recoil housing.

POS spark plug? Lol. I had my brother pick one up at home depot. See these are the things I need to know. Thanks. What brand do you recommend. The shiny might be cause I cleaned it with brake cleaner just as I took photos and I felt some rough raised metal so I took a file and just made it smooth without changing the surface as much as I could help it. I just hit it lightly

NGK BPMR7A gapped at 0.025".

Back