58CC JonCutter G5800

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the 5800 runs like my Chinese 62 did before mods, it will have good torque but only rev about 8000-9000rpm while cutting. They're not fast but don't slow down when you burry the bar, in bigger wood the 5800 will outperform the stihl 251 but in smaller stuff I'd rather have the 251.
What Chinese 62cc saw do you have? There seems to be many out there in the market. What mods did you do?

What Chinese 62cc saw do you have? There seems to be many out there in the market. What mods did you do?
Timberpro 6150. They don't sell that exact one anymore but there's a bunch of 62cc ones just like it on ebay, amazon, alliexpress, etc.
It's the same size (other than cc) as the 5800 or 4500.
I did a tread on porting it (so I ported a timberpro). The short version is I added a 372 carb, custom intake, muff mod, timing advance, base gasket delete and ported everything I could. It responses well to adding a larger carb/intake and porting as its based off the 45cc saw so everything is too small for a 62 cc saw. The 5800 would be the same way, it has a tiny carb/intake for its cc which is why they don't rev high stock.

I ordered the 5800 and it showed up Monday. Packed well. The label on the recoil cover says "54.6cc". The saw has an "easy-start" type recoil pulley. I am not a fan, I rather things be simple. Initially no oil from bar pump, had to prime the oil pump to get it working. I am using a 20" bar in small Husky size mount. 18" would be a better match but K095 pattern 18" bars seem to only come in 68 drive link. I already have 3/8" loops with 66 and 72 count drive links. It does have a rim sprocket. I have been cutting small 8" to 12" stuff and a few bar buried cuts noodling. No issues so far with chip clearing. Oils okay in the smaller stuff but with bar buried the oil pump can't keep up with a 20" bar. Should have gone with 18".

The saw seems pretty well put together. @NSEric nailed the description. The saw starts easily and runs good. Feels small and light. Kind of torquy, not fast, home owner type saw power. First 4 tanks have been 20:1 premix. Out of the box tune after about half a tank the saw would get almost 11k RPM out of wood. I turned it down to 10,500. Now it will spin 11,400 RPM with ~1/4 turn in on the H screw but loses the burble. At 10,500 it four strokes and sounds to clean up in wood. I'll probably leave it at 10,5 for now and go to 25:1 premix for a while. A negative, the air filter doesn't seal well. O-rings helped the leak but did not stop it. Just added some grease, see how that works. So far the saw seems worth the cost.

I am running a 16" .325 setup on the G4500; it oils ok. Without having a G5800, but knowing they use the same case as the G4500 and most likely the same oiler, I would think an 18" bar would be about perfect for it. I wonder if it would react similar to a Husqvarna 55 when using a .325" chain setup and not the 3/8"... I try to keep all my small Husky mount saws running .325" /.50 and large mount running 3/8" / .50... What oil are you using; I only have a Stihl dealer locally and use their stuff in the silver gallon jugs?

Usually Echo brand from HD or ProSelect(sp?) from Lowes online for the case discounted price. I would not doubt the Stihl silver jug oiling a little better but local cost is around $24 a gallon with no price break for cases.

One dislike for me is the recoil starter on the 5800. Does anyone know if a standard recoil pulley will be a direct fit/swap fot the "easy start" pulley? The "easy" on the 5800 is 74mm in diameter and 36mm tall, roughly. Steel pawls on the flywheel. From online descriptions the standard pulleys look to be around 60mm diameter and 30mm tall, some use plastic pawls. Does the 4500 have a typical recoil or easy start?

One dislike for me is the recoil starter on the 5800. Does anyone know if a standard recoil pulley will be a direct fit/swap fot the "easy start" pulley? The "easy" on the 5800 is 74mm in diameter and 36mm tall, roughly. Steel pawls on the flywheel. From online descriptions the standard pulleys look to be around 60mm diameter and 30mm tall, some use plastic pawls. Does the 4500 have a typical recoil or easy start?
Buy the entire pull start assembly for the 45-52cc Chinese saws not the pulley, it will bolt right on.
I did the opposite to my 4600 which is a 52cc now putting the easy start set up on it so it matched the 62, I like the easy start set up.
This one should fit.https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Recoil-Pull...m=132987456806&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Has anyone picked up any spare .325-7 rim sprockets for these saw and have a part number?

I picked up one of these saws the first of the week.
My back up saw was having issues, it was a 10 year old 52cc Chinese saw I got for free, then modded it to death, it never died but the crank seals were leaking causing running issues and the gas cap sucked so I scraped it. I had the larger 372 carb with a home made intake on it which is now on the joncutter.:D I also put the 3/8lp bar and chain I had on the 52 straight on the 5800 and the gutted muffler so I didn't have to gut another muffler.

I tried to port the joncutter but one of the cylinder bolt heads is striped and wont come out so I didn't port it at all. If it needed rebuilt I could drill the bolt out but it seamed silly to mess with it just to port it. I checked the squish and compression, the squish was .045 and it had 175psi, it doesn't need much of a compression bump anyway. Also this saw is the 58 for sure not the 52, it has 34mm of stroke.

I put the bigger intake/carb on it and its way faster now. It cuts at 11500rpm now not 9000rpm, the max revs are only 1000 higher at 13500rpm but it doesn't drop down as much while cutting. Im thinking 90% of the gains on my 62cc timberpro were the carb/intake now, it also cuts at 11500 but has more power but it should it has more cc's and mods.
I'll post a video on the weekend.

If the Allen hex stripped hit the hex with a flat punch to close up the hex then pound in the Allen wrench to rebroach the new hex.

I was thinking of collecting a Chinese saw. Maybe a project saw ? I have a new farmtec 372xp engine here and a husky 372xp that needs rebuilding. So much on my plate, so little time. I just removed a 2100 engine from the handle today. I’m not sure if I want to soup up a 2100 or 285 since I have a new husky oem 285 kit.

but I just got a Bergin Castor chain saw from Italy. Pics to follow. Like looking at a lambro. I was thinking of a new Castor saw.

I could get the allen bolt out a couple different ways if I tried.
I kinda wanted to run it with just the bigger carb and intake to see what happened, it works great so I will leave it alone.
Im sure it would have a little more power ported but it's my back up saw with a short bar to boot so it's fine as is.

Latest posts

Back