stihl 201tc chainsaw review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the Stihl 201TC chainsaw reliable?
I love mine. Been using it several times a week for removals, deadwooding and pruning.
I personally use a 14 inch bar becuase I like the balance but it can pull a 16 no problem. Just make sure to set the Saw's electronic carb when you get it. ( cutting through a log with the whole bar buried at full throttle 5 times I believe)

I love mine. Been using it several times a week for removals, deadwooding and pruning.
I personally use a 14 inch bar becuase I like the balance but it can pull a 16 no problem. Just make sure to set the Saw's electronic carb when you get it. ( cutting through a log with the whole bar buried at full throttle 5 times I believe)

Thanks for the opinion and advice, nice to know how to set the carburetor, I have made up my mind now to get the Stihl 201TC instead of the Husky T540, I found out that you have to almost disassemble the whole chainsaw to get the muffler off. Do you think you will ever do any modifications to your Stihl 201TC?

I like my 201tc. Sadly it's going in to get the kill switch fixed. Can't even choke the thing to kill it. Thankfully I'll be doing a few pruning jobs and some smaller takedowns for a few days. The older 201 will have to suffice for those

Thanks for the opinion and advice, nice to know how to set the carburetor, I have made up my mind now to get the Stihl 201TC instead of the Husky T540, I found out that you have to almost disassemble the whole chainsaw to get the muffler off. Do you think you will ever do any modifications to your Stihl 201TC?
Yes after the warranty is up. I'll do a muffler mod

I like my 201tc. Sadly it's going in to get the kill switch fixed. Can't even choke the thing to kill it. Thankfully I'll be doing a few pruning jobs and some smaller takedowns for a few days. The older 201 will have to suffice for those
Yeah little things like that can happen. Honestly though I've never had a problem with mine after it's been fully adjusted property. Plus I love the cold weather feature. It's already 50 degrees max out here and I still have a good flow of work

Ok, sounds good, but nobody is more of a beginner than me, that said, what is a hoof rasp? The only porting work I have seen on the internet was using something like a die grinder on the inside of the cylinder and those tools or VERY EXPENSIVE. I also read that the 201TC does not rely respond well to a timing advance. I am in no hurry to do anything because I also won't do anything to my Stihl until the warranty is up but I have an old poulan which I would like to experiment on.
t

So far so good with mine. Had it for a month. More power than the 201 and much better than the husky t540
I still have rebuilt 200t's though just in case.

I did some port work on a 201TC last week. I was very impressed with the power it made after the mods.

How were you able to measure the gains, timed cuts? Is there any real world gains? Like saving minutes on a big removal?
Or is it more like putting loud exhaust on your truck, just louder and more fun?

They're about $700 here. I recently done a muffler mod and timing advance on my 201 tc. I really like it now. Didn't before. Didn't have time to time any cuts but definitely more responsive and powerful. Still like my older saws better though.

Back