Husky 480cd Serial number decoding help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandFarmer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I found this old saw in my gramps garage, its missing the carb and some related parts. I'd like to bring her back to life and add her to the line up. Can anyone shed some light on the date of manufacture?

Attachments

• IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3243.JPG
    IMG_3243.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3241.JPG
    IMG_3241.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
eBay for parts but it limited for the 480. The 480 is one of the big block heavy duty husky saws.
They have larger crankbearings like the 298/1100/2100/2101. I like the 480.

View attachment 722997 These manuals are all I have. Can’t get parts very easily. Especially electric

It would be nice to get my hands on some of those manuals, I'll keep my eye on eBay.

eBay for parts but it limited for the 480. The 480 is one of the big block heavy duty husky saws.

With your experience what length bar would you figure she will run stock?

I lucked out! Just found a local guy with a complete parts saw with everything I'll need. I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares to my new saws. It definitely has some heft to it but I image she's a workhorse. Does anyone have experience hopping them up?

Like I said before the bigger cc’s and the extra weight doesn’t matter when we go to longer bars, like 20” & up, this is when these early monsters kick in. I factor in the weight as going to the gym.

I lucked out! Just found a local guy with a complete parts saw with everything I'll need. I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares to my new saws. It definitely has some heft to it but I image she's a workhorse. Does anyone have experience hopping them up?

If your going to sell the left over parts email me.

Port it?

I found this old saw in my gramps garage, its missing the carb and some related parts. I'd like to bring her back to life and add her to the line up. Can anyone shed some light on the date of manufacture?

Sorry, I know of no way to decode those pre 1982 or so serial numbers into time of production. All that tag tells me is that the saw left the factory as a 480CD (4801), and that it likely happened before 1982.
By coincidence 1981/82 also is about the time when the production of this model in Sweden stopped, and the model was replaced by the 181SE in "Western" markets.

As I recall it the production years of this model in Sweden was limited to about 1978 to 1981 - but it was made at the TOMOS factory in Yugoslavia (later Slovenia) after that.

The 480 isn't part of the same "model family" as the others that you listed (or with the 185/285), it belongs to an older and smaller "family".

It is in the same family as the different versions of the 180/280/380 (77 cc), 160/260 (58 cc) and 163/263 (63 cc).

The 480 is a bit stronger than the other 77 cc models though, mainly (or only?) because it has a larger carb.

Attachments

• WS manual 160 - 480 (hele serien).pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
The 480 isn't part of the same "model family" as the others that you listed (or with the 185/285), it belongs to an older and smaller "family".

It is in the same family as the different versions of the 180/280/380 (77 cc), 160/260 (58 cc) and 163/263 (63 cc).

The 480 is a bit stronger than the other 77 cc models though, mainly (or only?) because it has a larger carb.

Your right the 480 family is the 77, 180, 280, 380. But what’s confusing is the clutch covers and starter recoil housing is the same as the 2100/2101? Right,

Your right the 480 family is the 77, 180, 280, 380. But what’s confusing is the clutch covers and starter recoil housing is the same as the 2100/2101? Right,

I don't know if those parts are the same (it has been discussed before, but I don't remember the outcome) - but they sure look close. This is not so odd though, as those "families" were of the same basic generation despite the smaller "family" predated the larger one with about 4 years regarding the first model (about 1969 for the 180 vs. 1973 for the 1100).

The 77 use the same top end as the 180/280/380 (unsure about the 480) - but it (and the 65) is lacking the "two-mass" anti-vibe that was a major selling point with the 180 etc, so it usually isn't considered as belonging to the same family.

The "family" thing isn't carved in stone though, opinions will vary on that matter. However, the fact that the 65 and 77 wasn't included in the manual I attached above is a quite strong indication of how Husky was looking at it.

It would be nice to get my hands on some of those manuals, I'll keep my eye on eBay.

With your experience what length bar would you figure she will run stock?

Here is an IPL, but it is from after production was moved to the TOMOS factory;

Attachments

• 480CD IPL 1985-11 TOMOS.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 6
If your going to sell the left over parts email me.

Port it?

Will do. Yeah I know I've read the 80% rule when porting but not sure its worth experimenting with such a beauty... I figure I'll see how she runs first. I thought I might use it to back up my 67cc that runs a 27" bar. The bar that's on it now I figure is a 18" or 20"

Sorry, I know of no way to decode those pre 1982 or so serial numbers into time of production. All that tag tells me is that the saw left the factory as a 480CD (4801), and that it likely happened before 1982.
By coincidence 1981/82 also is about the time when the production of this model in Sweden stopped, and the model was replaced by the 181SE in "Western" markets.

As I recall it the production years of this model in Sweden was limited to about 1979 to 1981 - but it was made at the TOMOS factory in Yugoslavia (later Slovenia) after that.

I kinda figured that was the case with everything I read online... I just picked up that parts saw I'll go ahead and post it after its all cleaned up. It will be interesting for a comparison. Is it worth continuing to dig like contacting husky? or really its just a waste of time?

"Will do. Yeah I know I've read the 80% rule when porting but not sure its worth experimenting with such a beauty... I figure I'll see how she runs first. I thought I might use it to back up my 67cc that runs a 27" bar. The bar that's on it now I figure is a 18" or 20""

I would NOT port it. I've been running mine since purchased new in 1980 and it has about a zillion hours on it and makes PLENTY of power. Currently running a 30" bar on it for felling some of the larger dead Ash trees we are confronted with in these parts. In all the years I've owned mine it's only needed a tank vent (difficult to locate NOS), ignition switch, and had to braze the linkage on the end of the carb where it was staked at the factor cause it got loose.

It's a not high RPM design, but makes great power and very well suited to a 20" bar, decent with a 24", and enough ars to effectively pull larger bars with skip tooth chains on them.

Negatives are no compression release and weight......Cliff
Husqvarna 480 002.jpg

Latest posts

Back