Alert Jred saws on eBay not as advertised

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My luck in buying something new that works and I have no problem with chances are slim to none I’d get a good one. Husqvarnas are the only thing I never had a problem with.

Except for my Subaru’s all my gm new cars went back for engine problems. I junked better running suburbans than my $28k new Chevy suburban.

My first 55 Chevy I had at 14yo. I been a Chevy lover till the new suburban.

I bought a 2166 from dsell before Christmas that had the transfers already ground out by him and I must say I am very pleased that I bought from a good guy on this forum and didn’t have to deal with a circle R on a machine that was advertised as new. I paid more than the eBay sellers advertising but I have run the saw I bought from dsell with a hundred percent confidence and it has gotten stronger with every tank run through it. Sometimes things are not what they seem. I really hope everybody who has bought a saw from this eBay seller gets what they were sold and nothing less. I understand everybody is looking for a deal to save money and that’s not a thing to be looked down on and nobody wants to be taken advantage of. I was looking at the 2250’s myself and after seeing this thread and I have decided to keep my money in my pocket. I really like the red ones but I feel that saving my money for a real new saw, albiet a more expensive one is in my best interest. Good night and good safe sawing to all

If anyone has purchased a refurbished Husqvarna or even a refub Makita power tool, I have done both, most of the time 90% of the plastics looks new/good, wear and tear items are replaced but a majority of the parts are used and appropriately discounted. The giant point that a lot of people are missing is the guy advertised the saws as NEW, NEW is never used. These saws are not new, my 2166 is a 2013 with the R on the tank. To the best of my knowledge the factory does not run saws, the saws are built, carbs are set to default specs, the dealer is where saws are first run and tuned.

I've been reading post after post about how my saw is all scraped up, damaged, has rust, corrosion, looks like it's minimally run, but it runs great so it's OK. You're just trying to justify your purchase and convince yourself that you didn't get f**ked, well you did. That's the truth

Honestly, WTF is wrong with people, the guy is taking advantage of everybody here, making fools of everyone and taking their money. Husqvarna is selling these saws for pennies on the dollar to wholesalers and the nice melted R is to red flag any dealer to not warranty these saws. THEY ARE REFURBS. If the guy advertised the saws properly most people here would have still bought them and been happy. "I got exactly as advertised"

If this seller was pushing these saws as new on the AS or OPeeEee sight guys would have crucified him.

NEW IS NEW
I don't disagree with this for the most part.
I thought the saws were run at the factory, but more so the engine and that there is no fuel put into the tanks but rather fuel hooked straight to the carbs, but this is just an assumption so please take it as that.
I'm not trying to justify my purchase at all as I know if it sounds to good to be true it probably is and I wasn't sure what I was going to get at all. I actually thought I may be buying a 2250 since that's what was in the picture and I might have to send it back, so I was surprised to see I actually got 2166's, and I feel they were appropriately discounted for what I got. I had also hoped these were saws from the TSC stores/dealer buybacks so I had an idea of what they were or at least what I hoped they were.
No they were not new(as in the Ebay description) and as you said it's not right to say they are if they are not! I would, as I've said before, liked to have believed that there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line. Now it seems quite clear since they are not changing the listing to refurbished saws that there is at least a certain level of dishonesty going on within the company, but I still won't say the "seller" is a liar as I don't know that for fact, but someone is or isn't communicating with others all that's going on.
And your right I would have said something if there was someone on here selling them as new and they weren't. I didn't even realize that the mark on the bottom was an "R" when I got mine or I would have said something about it myself to the seller and in this thread as well as others. I saw the mark and wondered what it was as I've never seen a casting mark like it before, because the "R" is incomplete and maybe because I was told they were new I overlooked it. Your right folks still would have bought them, so there is no reason not to be upfront about what they are, I don't feel like a fool paying what I did for it even with the "R" on the handle, but I do for not realizing what it was.

If anyone has purchased a refurbished Husqvarna or even a refub Makita power tool, I have done both, most of the time 90% of the plastics looks new/good, wear and tear items are replaced but a majority of the parts are used and appropriately discounted. The giant point that a lot of people are missing is the guy advertised the saws as NEW, NEW is never used. These saws are not new, my 2166 is a 2013 with the R on the tank. To the best of my knowledge the factory does not run saws, the saws are built, carbs are set to default specs, the dealer is where saws are first run and tuned.

I've been reading post after post about how my saw is all scraped up, damaged, has rust, corrosion, looks like it's minimally run, but it runs great so it's OK. You're just trying to justify your purchase and convince yourself that you didn't get f**ked, well you did. That's the truth

Honestly, WTF is wrong with people, the guy is taking advantage of everybody here, making fools of everyone and taking their money. Husqvarna is selling these saws for pennies on the dollar to wholesalers and the nice melted R is to red flag any dealer to not warranty these saws. THEY ARE REFURBS. If the guy advertised the saws properly most people here would have still bought them and been happy. "I got exactly as advertised"

If this seller was pushing these saws as new on the AS or OPeeEee sight guys would have crucified him.

NEW IS NEW

Quite a few debatable areas in your speech. First I have bought quite a few saws from internet dealers who said they never started the saws and when I tore them down they looked exactly like the two 2166’s I just bought. Your statement that a majority of the parts are used is exact opposite of my two saws.
I do agree that the eBay ad should have stated the R stamping.
I agree 100% with the poster that said just advertise what you have here and I bet it will be sold quickly . I also believe most people seeing an eBay sell for 50% off truly expects something is up and if you don’t .. welcome to the internet !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most relatable thing I’ve read in weeks [emoji23]
Loves my Chevy’s but the phuckin abs blocks, Cancer from the thought of moisture and that damn cold start knock.

My new suburban had a cold start knock it was anti freeze in the oil from a crack in the lifter valley. Cost reduction was make the cast iron thinner. The service department laughed at me when I added three gallons of anti freeze. I been buying Japanese cars ever since.

I don't disagree with this for the most part.
I thought the saws were run at the factory, but more so the engine and that there is no fuel put into the tanks but rather fuel hooked straight to the carbs, but this is just an assumption so please take it as that.
I'm not trying to justify my purchase at all as I know if it sounds to good to be true it probably is and I wasn't sure what I was going to get at all. I actually thought I may be buying a 2250 since that's what was in the picture and I might have to send it back, so I was surprised to see I actually got 2166's, and I feel they were appropriately discounted for what I got. I had also hoped these were saws from the TSC stores/dealer buybacks so I had an idea of what they were or at least what I hoped they were.
No they were not new(as in the Ebay description) and as you said it's not right to say they are if they are not! I would, as I've said before, liked to have believed that there was a miscommunication somewhere along the line. Now it seems quite clear since they are not changing the listing to refurbished saws that there is at least a certain level of dishonesty going on within the company, but I still won't say the "seller" is a liar as I don't know that for fact, but someone is or isn't communicating with others all that's going on.
And your right I would have said something if there was someone on here selling them as new and they weren't. I didn't even realize that the mark on the bottom was an "R" when I got mine or I would have said something about it myself to the seller and in this thread as well as others. I saw the mark and wondered what it was as I've never seen a casting mark like it before, because the "R" is incomplete and maybe because I was told they were new I overlooked it. Your right folks still would have bought them, so there is no reason not to be upfront about what they are, I don't feel like a fool paying what I did for it even with the "R" on the handle, but I do for not realizing what it was.

Finally after 25,000 long winded post from @chipper1 I finally agree with this one. Especially the part about you and your buddy posting right away about what great saws you got and both of you totally leaving out the brown box with the R stamped ???? At least you have enough brain power to call yourself a fool over that.
I recommended to the seller that the best way to sell the saws was to have someone ( like many of us on the forums) to go over the saws and let them do the initial Checkup and fire them up. That is what I was trying to workout when all this mess happened .
I am completely satisfied with my buy but than again my family has well over 10,000 eBay transactions and I did a lot of investigation and phone calls about the saws. Hopefully the rest of the saws and there a lot of them will go smoother and the ad will read better... time will tell.

Finally after 25,000 long winded post from @chipper1 I finally agree with this one. Especially the part about you and your buddy posting right away about what great saws you got and both of you totally leaving out the brown box with the R stamped ???? At least you have enough brain power to call yourself a fool over that.
Glad you agreed, I actually agreed with your previous post to the one above too.
Oh and thanks for reading 25,000 post of mine lol.
But be sure I didn't call myself a fool, but that I felt foolish. A fool rushes in without concern for the outcome, I knew I was taking a chance and I still feel as though I won with what I got even with the "R" and the brown boxes(they are real nice boxes).
Not sure where I said anything about my buddy in that post, and none of the boxes I got have an "R" on them?
Any ideas on the compression before and after base gasket delete ?

Here's before swapping cylinders on mine, it was about 162, camera was at a little bit of an angle.
Screen Shot 2019-03-17 at 11.33.29 PM.png

W
Glad you agreed, I actually agreed with your previous post to the one above too.
Oh and thanks for reading 25,000 post of mine lol.
But be sure I didn't call myself a fool, but that I felt foolish. A fool rushes in without concern for the outcome, I knew I was taking a chance and I still feel as though I won with what I got even with the "R" and the brown boxes(they are real nice boxes).
Not sure where I said anything about my buddy in that post, and none of the boxes I got have an "R" on them?

Here's before swapping cylinders on mine, it was about 162, camera was at a little bit of an angle.
View attachment 723793
Who's your buddy?
I didn't see the r stanp at first
When i got mine i took it apart and checked everything
All new no fuel or oil had ever been in it.
No chips or dust anywhere
I've never bought a pro saw that came in the factory box
So i didn't care it was repackaged
Hoping to buy some more if they sell returns.

I would be in for that myself, no one who uses these are gonna care if it has an R or not, at the price they sold them I still consider it a bargain myself, I mean retail is closer to 750-800, part the thing out and still make your $ back and then some
W

Who's your buddy?

I'm about to piss a few people off now. With how many jred saws my local tsc had stocked which was about 20 with display models and knowing they sold pp5020 poulans far more frequently at 4 a month from what I saw whereas the cheapest jred in a box sat for 6 month and the last 2166 they had on display sat for at least 2 years. Any displays saws that get returned by a store to the manufacturer or distributor get labeled as refurbished because they have to be repackaged and if it's done by a distributor that has just a few left out of the box they will do it the absolute cheapest way possible. Obviously some have gotten nib saws from this seller and some of the refurbs are properly packaged. As for the people going oh my ****ing God my saw has a slight mark its obviously used.....sorry a human handle your saw.

Some of you guys are literally returning them because they had a scuff mark and say the seller lied to you, I can understand doing that because the tank is broke and it's covered saw dust but not for minor blemishes. You guys seem surprised that you saw is more than 2 years old too, well jonsered isn't real popular anymore and some have sat around for a bit. I bought a Tanaka 5601 NIB from 2010. This seller had the lowest price for the 2166 on ebay new or used and advertised them as new because some of the companies they were dealing with had nib saws. You're calling this seller a complete liar yet you probably wouldn't have a problem paying the 610 for that road hard jred 2077 on ebay in listing posted in this thread thats at best a 400$ saw.

W

Who's your buddy?
I'm not sure who he's talking about since I didn't say anything about a buddy in the post he quoted?
As I said I noticed it and even thought it was odd as I've been around a good bit of plastic injection shops, but it's not a full "R" so I never made the connection. I've never owned a refurbished saw although I have seen them, I guess I can't say that anymore lol.
I didn't, take mine apart, but I looked it over pretty good, same here, no evidence of being fueled or oil, no chips either.
There have been one or two new ones as well as boxes come thru here, I like the boxes, makes shipping a 24" and maybe even a 28" out pretty easy.
For the right price I'd buy one or two more as well, be nice to have some dusty old jreds around a few yrs from now, I could even bring up this thread if I listed them here.

I'm not sure who he's talking about since I didn't say anything about a buddy in the post he quoted?
As I said I noticed it and even thought it was odd as I've been around a good bit of plastic injection shops, but it's not a full "R" so I never made the connection. I've never owned a refurbished saw although I have seen them, I guess I can't say that anymore lol.
I didn't, take mine apart, but I looked it over pretty good, same here, no evidence of being fueled or oil, no chips either.
There have been one or two new ones as well as boxes come thru here, I like the boxes, makes shipping a 24" and maybe even a 28" out pretty easy.
For the right price I'd buy one or two more as well, be nice to have some dusty old jreds around a few yrs from now, I could even bring up this thread if I listed them.

You want to know what is so funny @chipper1.. you call yourself a “fool” and I agree than you State no I said foolish. After 25,000 post I am beginning to realize you don’t really know what you say 10 minutes later . Do you know anything about the stock market ? Have you heard the term Pump and Dump?
Ok your words “ , I don't feel like a fool paying what I did for it even with the "R" on the handle, but I do for not realizing what it was.
Again “ I do ( feel like a fool) for not realizing what it was ..... finally the Fool self recognizing !!!!
To add a little more to your nonsense babbling
Your words “But be sure I didn't call myself a fool, but that I felt foolish” hahahaha

I'm about to piss a few people off now. With how many jred saws my local tsc had stocked which was about 20 with display models and knowing they sold pp5020 poulans far more frequently at 4 a month from what I saw whereas the cheapest jred in a box sat for 6 month and the last 2166 they had on display sat for at least 2 years. Any displays saws that get returned by a store to the manufacturer or distributor get labeled as refurbished because they have to be repackaged and if it's done by a distributor that has just a few left out of the box they will do it the absolute cheapest way possible. Obviously some have gotten nib saws from this seller and some of the refurbs are properly packaged. As for the people going oh my ****ing God my saw has a slight mark its obviously used.....sorry a human handle your saw.

Some of you guys are literally returning them because they had a scuff mark and say the seller lied to you, I can understand doing that because the tank is broke and it's covered saw dust but not for minor blemishes. You guys seem surprised that you saw is more than 2 years old too, well jonsered isn't real popular anymore and some have sat around for a bit. I bought a Tanaka 5601 NIB from 2010. This seller had the lowest price for the 2166 on ebay new or used and advertised them as new because some of the companies they were dealing with had nib saws. You're calling this seller a complete liar yet you probably wouldn't have a problem paying the 610 for that road hard jred 2077 on ebay in listing posted in this thread thats at best a 400$ saw.
Now I'm really mad :laugh:.
I know what you're saying for sure. If anyone is unhappy with the saws they got because they are in any way not as described then they should by all means work something out with the seller(I did), if it's not as described, it's not as described. For those who feel as though they got a good deal and are fine with it that's great too, I fall into this category after talking to the seller.
I bought a bar a while back and the seller showed it was a jred labeled bar (written on the bar) in the picture, I got the bar and it was a standard grey bar, so I requested it go back(I failed to get it back in time so I'm stuck with it now). It would have cut wood just fine, but I wanted the one labeled jred for my bar collection.

So these refurbs were never run.? Where they pulled from the warehouse and refurbed after the problem was discovered?

The keurig coffee maker was selling refurbs but these were brand new but they had faulty water pumps. $99

The kitchen aid mixers, they were selling factory refurbs $189.

Refurbs seem a common practice lately. Oh we f’d up so sell them as refurbs,

Latest posts

Back