Cleaning stove glass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two stoves running 24/7 during the long winter--late Oct through April some years. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot : who has the time to clean the clear ceramic anyhow ?:bang:

It's done only when :
1. Company comes, SWMBO says jump.:taped:
2. Romance in front of stove #2.:rockn:
3. Some repair or maintenance on either stove.

Otherwise, the stoves are for heating. Too many more important things to do,

I am running 1984 Heathstone HS 2.

Heathstone technical person told me that trying to clean the glass of this stove is waste of time because (1) the glasses made in 80's are not as good as ones made today, (2) the secondary air holes in HS 2 are directed in a way to make the glass dirty.

Conclusion: I never clean the glass.

Noko

I don't spend alot of time cleaning either but my thread was to say the glass became clear on its own. Like a self cleaning oven. I've went to bed with black glass and awoke to a clean window many times or vise versa. Thats why I think it has to do with the way smoke is pulled out of the stove.

Finally figured out a way to clean my stove glass the easy way. Just take a paint scraper- the ones with the replaceable razor blade that are about 3-3.5" wide and scrape that stuff right off the glass. You have to get the angle right, like when your sharpening a knife. All the stuff just basically peals right off the glass, even the light brown stains. Haven't scratched my glass yet. Try it out, you'll like it!:clap:

GLASS WINDOW CLEANING PROBLEM SOLVED: I have tried everything to keep my glass clean (wet rag dipped in water, cleaners, razor blades, vinegar formulas, etc.) but all of it was a pain and never really worked that well. One day I just happened to try the product Simple Green on a half sheet of newspaper and got fantastic results. Easy peasy. Every morning I either spray the window and wipe with newspaper OR spray the newspaper and then wipe... depending on how hot the glass is. I don't recommend anyone trying to clean hot glass because the Simple Green dries up too fast. But if the glass is only warm, that works the best. No scraping, ash mess, or anything like that. You may have to initially get the glass clean with a razor blade to get a fresh start, but after that it just spray and wipe... no problems. Works for me.

Finally figured out a way to clean my stove glass the easy way. Just take a paint scraper- the ones with the replaceable razor blade that are about 3-3.5" wide and scrape that stuff right off the glass. You have to get the angle right, like when your sharpening a knife. All the stuff just basically peals right off the glass, even the light brown stains. Haven't scratched my glass yet. Try it out, you'll like it!:clap:
My new Drolet HT2000 is an EPA stove and over the three years I've burned, I've never had to clean the glass yet.
Just make sure you burn good seasoned wood with low moisture content.
That's it, that's all.

Uh oh... Lennox say's we're all doing it wrong: (From my Lennox woodstove manual.)
glass-cleaner.jpg

I use SOS pads, wet them a little. Comes off very easily then just use a damp paper towel and wipe the glass. but the trick is to do it before the soot gets caked on. Just take a little more time if it does (few seconds more)

Back