whats the largest size unsplit wood you should burn in the in door fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whatever the size, do not under any circumstances burn pine !

The-Burbs-the-burbs-movie-41477634-240-138.gif

Are stove loads from the top. I just put normal size splits in till there stacked to the top. Top loading stove is the only way to go.

Just use railroad ties cut to lenght and throw in save time in splitting youll be in good shape!

And if there is any room left on top of the RR Ties, fill that wasted space with cut up hunks of Old Tires;)

Your Wild Thang, will work Great for cutting up the Tires too :laughing:

Doug :cheers:

Just use railroad ties cut to lenght and throw in save time in splitting youll be in good shape!
my grantpal when he was a kid thay burned rail road ties in the wood stove
thay did not have much money he had to quit school and get a job i think when he was 12

most stoves I have used burn better when you can get 3 pieces in at a time 2 with a gap between them and the 3rd bridging the gap.

remember your not burning the wood you are gassifying it. heating the wood to the temperature that it off gasses then the volatile super heated gasses when they contact air burn clean and more complete.

you will have to see what makes the best fire in your stove with your wood but a good place to start , figure out what size piece you can grab one handed and hole out at arms length one handed for 30 seconds that is the biggest you can reasonably load decent. work down from that to see what burns best in each type of wood you get.

most stoves I have used burn better when you can get 3 pieces in at a time 2 with a gap between them and the 3rd bridging the gap.

remember your not burning the wood you are gassifying it. heating the wood to the temperature that it off gasses then the volatile super heated gasses when they contact air burn clean and more complete.

you will have to see what makes the best fire in your stove with your wood but a good place to start , figure out what size piece you can grab one handed and hole out at arms length one handed for 30 seconds that is the biggest you can reasonably load decent. work down from that to see what burns best in each type of wood you get.

I don't think Gunny's fireplace has much of a gasification process going on. :drinkingcoffee:

technically all wood burning is Gassification , this is why even in a camp fire you benefit from a log cabin or tepee design, all the heat concentrated in the center burns the wood from he inside out especially in the tepee you keep adding new wood to the outside to insulate the fire allowing heat to build up the volatile gasses when they escape meat air and flame.

gassifying stoves just are designed to better concentrate the heat in the firebox then provide air at the top of the fire box to enhance combustion.

Back