Is this oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like alternate branching maybe, can't quite tell. Bark looks like oak to me too, but end cuts look maple-y. I'm gonna go oak.

With the bark and the heartwood It sure looks like Bitternut Hickory to me but Stumpy75 is right, he’s in the wrong part of the country for it.

I'm hung up on it not looking like opposite branching, which my un-schooled redneck azz says would make it not maple. I've never had a hickory that splits easily, which would mean oak. But without the rays in the ends, that points to something different.

Part of my problem too is I'm trying to compare the characteristics of my midwest wood to something from a different climate.

How about cotton wood? I hope not. That’s the bad part about getting trees in winter is there are no leaves. I seen nothing leaves on the ground either
Big difference between CW and the other hard woods being discussed. How heavy are the splits compared to other local woods?

Back