Post pictures of your firewood cutting kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I mainly carry minus a spud/pry bar. Depending on the time of year I might care a machete or a weed eater. Almost all of my firewood collecting comes from residential settings so Im usually within a few yards of the truck.
Right on!

I cut on my property so I bring a pretty minimalistic kit with me. If I need something, I can just run up to the house and get it. But this is what I carry with me on my ATV. I do all my cutting in one session, then come back with my Jeep and a trailer to haul it up to my outdoor wood stove.

1.jpg

MS362c saw
Pferd chain sharpener
Homemade stump vise
3 wedges
Hatchet
1 gallon can of mixed fuel
1 gallon bar oil
Helmet
Chaps
Scrench
Gloves
Water
Bug Spray
First aid kit

Ok guys, I finally took the whole two minutes to take a few pictures of my little bag. I normally bring this anywhere I have to walk any distance. I don’t go too far off my main trails so I don’t usually carry it very far.

The pulp hook is normally in the truck but was able to fit it for the picture. My chaps normally go in there too.

This kit also has a few small items outside of firewood purposes for when I encounter cool things or require in my travels. GPS, diameter tape, increment borer, notepad, whistle/3 sources of fire/compass (stuff from College), etc.

This is always in the truck so everything I normally need isn’t far. And it isn’t too heavy.
Out of the truck, I’d have the bag on my back, hard hat on, chaps on, saw in one hand, gas/oil in other.

The axe is an old axe we had at work in our fire shed. They were all pretty beat up but serve well as a wedge pounder for the small bit that I use it.

Thanks for all your replies! It was awesome to read

Matt

Attachments

• 0BF811E6-C28F-45C0-8C21-A637E25A7339.jpeg
    0BF811E6-C28F-45C0-8C21-A637E25A7339.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 51
  • B9A34E8F-C36E-4F31-9DC0-84AAC9ED4E22.jpeg
    B9A34E8F-C36E-4F31-9DC0-84AAC9ED4E22.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
  • A30CDF11-6788-4F8E-B44B-8BB37873DE10.jpeg
    A30CDF11-6788-4F8E-B44B-8BB37873DE10.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 51
  • C08B8884-87D8-4279-9548-2AB6754DAC82.jpeg
    C08B8884-87D8-4279-9548-2AB6754DAC82.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • 213BC842-1F21-4582-8277-31D3DC8EF33A.jpeg
    213BC842-1F21-4582-8277-31D3DC8EF33A.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 56
I consider my must have items first, saw, gas, bar oil, scwrench, file, and my cell phone. Often I take two or three saws and a couple of extra chains. I cant remember ever using a wedge and dont even own one. I got a saw, dont need a axe. I keep a 100ft steel cable on the truck along with a snatch block. I aint carrying those on my back into the woods. And if I can get close enough with the truck to pull trees, it aint that far to walk to retrieve those items out of the truck. Been thinking about swapping the steel cable for some amsteel rope. I also keep a few bottles of drinking water handy. My truck has a firstaid kit always. In reality, if I am cutting firewood, my truck is going to be pretty close. I aint toteing wood a mile to load on a truck and I aint into heliochopper logging.

Looks like you have enough gear for a few days cutting non stop. No reason to stop production and go back to the shop. A spare saw?
Stapler??

Where I live when cutting in the forest you need a permit then attach tag to the wood before you move more than 50ft from where youre cutting. I use a staple for that. Also a hole punch to punch the tag.

I carry 4 saws. A top handle to mark length, a 40cc to limb, a 60 and 70cc to buck in case one saw goes down. Chains so I dont have to sharpen in the field. Files, brushes, bar groove tool, screw drivers for carbs. :D Im usually cutting a good hour away from home, so a trip back because something isnt working is a bad day.

I cut on my property so I bring a pretty minimalistic kit with me. If I need something, I can just run up to the house and get it. But this is what I carry with me on my ATV. I do all my cutting in one session, then come back with my Jeep and a trailer to haul it up to my outdoor wood stove.

First aid kit

carrying the First Aid Kit is a good idea!

Ok guys, I finally took the whole two minutes to take a few pictures of my little bag. I normally bring this anywhere I have to walk any distance. I don’t go too far off my main trails so I don’t usually carry it very far.

The pulp hook is normally in the truck but was able to fit it for the picture. My chaps normally go in there too.

This kit also has a few small items outside of firewood purposes for when I encounter cool things or require in my travels. GPS, diameter tape, increment borer, notepad, whistle/3 sources of fire/compass (stuff from College), etc.

This is always in the truck so everything I normally need isn’t far. And it isn’t too heavy.
Out of the truck, I’d have the bag on my back, hard hat on, chaps on, saw in one hand, gas/oil in other.

The axe is an old axe we had at work in our fire shed. They were all pretty beat up but serve well as a wedge pounder for the small bit that I use it.

Thanks for all your replies! It was awesome to read

Matt

I like the camp axe, of course... the files, too! and wedges.

spare bar nuts , just added to my tool bag on a wire so I don't loose them.

Thursday I went to fire up the saw and missing a bar nut , 12 years of owning my own saws , years before that running family and work saws and never lost a bar nut and now I lost 2 in a week , 20 minutes from where I am cutting to my dealer an hour for a 1 dollar nut luckily it was while he was open I bought 4 and good thing I threw another bar nut later in the day.

i use this box on the pallet forks. If I had to do it again I would have built it narrower. I have 3 pt forks as well and use it on the back in the woods. 2 saws - gas/oil - bad of saw stuff etc and a cant hook. The reason I didn't make it a carry all for the 3pt is because I can set it down and use tractor in wood with out this big thing hanging off the back. I have a 5400 JD utility tractor and its about as big as i would use in the woods. Also at the end of the day I can just drive into shop and set it down and its ready to go the next day. IMG_1128.jpg

i use this box on the pallet forks. If I had to do it again I would have built it narrower. I have 3 pt forks as well and use it on the back in the woods. 2 saws - gas/oil - bad of saw stuff etc and a cant hook. The reason I didn't make it a carry all for the 3pt is because I can set it down and use tractor in wood with out this big thing hanging off the back. I have a 5400 JD utility tractor and its about as big as i would use in the woods. Also at the end of the day I can just drive into shop and set it down and its ready to go the next day. View attachment 725686
Good idea! Do you load this box with a bit of wood too? Then set your gear on top of wood?

Good idea! Do you load this box with a bit of wood too? Then set your gear on top of wood?
It is used for wood / sometimes helpers haha / rope / chains / slings really anything I need depending on what time doing.

Having the ability to put it on the back of the tractor allows me to use loader to carry logs out or I can put the box on loader forks and skid a tree out. Very versatile

It is used for wood / sometimes helpers haha / rope / chains / slings really anything I need depending on what time doing.

Having the ability to put it on the back of the tractor allows me to use loader to carry logs out or I can put the box on loader forks and skid a tree out. Very versatile
Right on! Do you use a cant hook often in the woods or mostly for the mill? I’m looking to make my work easier with the upcoming softwood logs I’ll be cutting. I’ll be in the woods trying to get them to roadside. 8-16ft lengths. Is it worth the money?

Right on! Do you use a cant hook often in the woods or mostly for the mill? I’m looking to make my work easier with the upcoming softwood logs I’ll be cutting. I’ll be in the woods trying to get them to roadside. 8-16ft lengths. Is it worth the money?

I bring all my logs out to a concrete pad to process. So the cant hook is used to roll over logs occasionally - i don't use it much but it is handy when you need it . Having forks I can pick up logs to buck them. Im ordering a LOX OX 3-1 tool I think it would be more useful for my set up .

Latest posts

Back