Husky 480cd Serial number decoding help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CliffR do You want to trade your 480cd? For a mint 266 or 268 in good running order?

I require a saw once in a while that will pull a 30" bar so I keep it around. Here is one of those jobs and the 480 worked it's way thru it once again without grumbling much. I'm also sort of attached to it, bought it the same year Deb and I got married and she's still around too!........Might bring some bad karma on myself if I got rid of either one of them!.......LOL......Cliff
IMG_0791.JPG

The recoil cover on the 480 is the same as the 285CD and can be made to work on the 298/2100/2101 saws with the correct spacer. I dont know about the clutch cover.

I have one in nice shape that has some scoring. I bought a good used piston and cylinder. I need to do crank seals while I'm at it. I look forward to running it but it's a low rpm saw and I dont think it will have the power comparable to my 285CD even. It has that nice classic heavy muscle look like the 2100 series saws had. That alone makes it worth owning.

In these parts the 480CD's were overshadowed by the 2100's so not nearly as popular. They were both heavyweights and back in those days if you are going to tote around 20 something pounds of chainsaw why not be it a 2100 vs the less powerful 480CD.

I have a really nice 2100 at my disposal but hardly ever use it, nor the 480CD. We just don't run into too many jobs where my CS-590/600 or 268XP doesn't make the grade. It's still fun to pull out the big guns once in a while, then we run them dry and back on the shelf till the next century old tree hits the ground in a storm.......Cliff
IMG_1596.JPG IMG_1597.JPG IMG_1598.JPG

I was called to do a job because the ranger knew I had two 2100’s after a hurricane took out a giant maple tree that was over 100 yo. That blocked the access road, he had to give out home owner cutting permits soon he needed the tree moved asap. But they didn’t tell me it had three poison ivy vines the size of 1” diameter thick on it. I waited till the pouring rain to keep the dust down and cut it. The tree was massive.
The 2100 does earn its keep in the husky line up.

I always grabbed the 2100’s. My first 480 grew roots on the shelf. If it wasn’t the 2100 doing the cutting then it was the 266. If I wasn’t running the 2100’s I would run a tank of gas thru them, add fresh gas and park them again. I always kept there tanks topped with fresh gas.

I require a saw once in a while that will pull a 30" bar so I keep it around. Here is one of those jobs and the 480 worked it's way thru it once again without grumbling much. I'm also sort of attached to it, bought it the same year Deb and I got married and she's still around too!........Might bring some bad karma on myself if I got rid of either one of them!.......LOL......Cliff
View attachment 724466
wow, cut with 480 Cliff?

I did almost all the "cross-cutting" with the 480 as the pieces were WAY to heavy to manage as we rolled them away. I used the 480 on some of the trunk until the 30" bar was no longer effective. It's not the fastest saw in our line-up, but doesn't stall against the clutch easily and does a great job in bigger material if you aren't in a big hurry........Cliff

I ended up trading my 480 for a Husqvarna 250 OR dirtbike. The or is three gears 1 to 3 is wide ratio and 4 to 6 is close ratio. It keeps the rpms up 4-6. This bike was wrecked but I had the right serial number frame for it. This was my first 480 like over ten years ago.

This was an older deal like over ten years ago. The flywheel you mailed to me is for a basket case 480 I purchased. I think I have most of the parts it’s missing But it missing a good cylinder I haven’t check the old cylinder yet, been busy.. My other 480 is almost finished, I have two 480 one runs ones a project.

I think if I rollerize the clutch drum with a 8tooth rim and a 18” or 20” bar with a skip tooth chain she will keep up with most saws in its class. Less load from less teeth, faster feet per minute on the saw skip chain should run good. Plug the over speed governor in the carb.
The specs say she turns 9,000 rpm stock. I’m going to move the intake and exhaust ports on my project 480.

Back