Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to quote this & put it in my SIG. Truly sums up the mindset of an axe hoarder who puts reason aside when pursuing his interest.
Unfortunately, that's why I'm broke right now. I was at a gun auction and they had a 1908 Savage Model 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30. SRC's are quite rare, then to find one in a Winchester caliber is extra rare. I had $1600 on me and the bidding bumped me out. Leaned over and told my buddy I was all in, and all out. He handed me another $1000 and said, "don't stop now, you like it, and you will never see another in that condition". Paid $2300 for it.

Unfortunately, that's why I'm broke right now. I was at a gun auction and they had a 1908 Savage Model 1899 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30. SRC's are quite rare, then to find one in a Winchester caliber is extra rare. I had $1600 on me and the bidding bumped me out. Leaned over and told my buddy I was all in, and all out. He handed me another $1000 and said, "don't stop now, you like it, and you will never see another in that condition". Paid $2300 for it.
You only live once [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I had a project for a client who wanted a heavier pack axe for chopping and splitting deadfall on trails. 2.8 lb head on a 23.5" handle - 22.5° grind with a Kydex collar guard.

dzCq0EL.jpg

dnOp6V2.jpg

e5xAot0.jpg

GjaRxz7.jpg

59ZHvRc.jpg

LSiokZC.jpg

Here is a question for you guys, I made a handle a while back out of maple, it broke. I want to make new one out of hickory and was wondering if I can use hickory from a small tree say 5" or even a limb or should I go for center of bigger tree? I have some about 12" to 16" but hate to take it for just a ax handle.

Was at a saw ship locally an saw this sweet axe in the corner. Lou Gibons was the owner back in the day, must have been old school logger guy any way he lost a race at the local timbejack show do to a knotty piece , chipped the edge as you can see. He was pissed an gave this old saw shop the axe.
20182a5832cee4d464eff1dfa0f953d5.jpg
4e03f943832c5e9c3a95439659792116.jpg

Is it for sale??
I've been trying to get on the old man's good side to get to see all his old stuff. He's right fond of the the ole timer that gave it to him so I kinda doubt it. Mabe next time I stop I'll test the waters. [emoji16]

I've been trying to get on the old man's good side to get to see all his old stuff. He's right fond of the the ole timer that gave it to him so I kinda doubt it. Mabe next time I stop I'll test the waters. [emoji16]

Make him feel guilty for that beautiful axe just sittin in the corner collecting dust. LOL

Before the American axe company Plumb started selling Plumb branded axes, a little Australian company was selling well made hand tools under the name Plumb. They were pissed when they were exporting a top quality product around the globe & someone started using their name and selling axes off the back of their reputation. They were some of the best axes EVER made that were produced for the masses. They were the choice of competition choppers for decades. Unable to sort it out in the courts, the original Australian Plumb brand changed their name to Hytest and continued producing axes well into the future. Last year a customer (92y/o lady) offered me he deceased husbands axe. It was fairly rusty on the surface but hadn't seen much use as its original sticker on the head was still half there. The desintergrated paper sticker had most of the letters to the word 'Tasmanian'. I got it home, wire brushed it and saw the Plumb stamp up toward the poll. The 4-1/2lb head also had phantom bevels coming up the cheek on both sides. I was fairly happy that day sitting in front of the fire with that axe on my lap when it sunk in what I actually had. Wifey couldn't understand why I was infactuated with such an old dirty axe when I already had so many others. It put my x27 to shame the next day testing it out in hard wood. Hits hard to say the least. Here it is (cause ya gonna want to see this unicorn! after reading my long winded old lady story) sitting next to a Hytest that I've put a few hours into...from angle grinder to 2000grit:surprised3: I can clearly see my face in it but there are still tiny fine scratches that need working.15537824286091614369630.jpg

Found this. The American Plumb was in business in the mid to late 1800's. I don't know if they were riding on the reputation of the Australian Plumb or not.
This is quoted from an Australian newspaper dated 4 January 1946:

PUBLIC NOTICE
PLUMB (AUST.) PTY. LTD.
Sole Manufacturers and sellers under its own Name of
'HYTEST' AUSTRALIAN-MADE FORGED TOOLS
including 'HYTEST' AXES
Winners of Numerous Woodchopping Conlests
and 'HYTEST' HATCHETS etc
GIVE PUBLIC NOTICE THAT
Neither the company nor its Products are in any way connected
with the American Company,
FAYETTE R. PLUMB (INC.) .

All Distributors And Sellers Are Notified and requested
Only to Offer and Sell our Products as 'HYTEST'
Tools Made by PLUMB (Aust). Pty. Ltd.
and not to cause or directly or indirectly to permit
any confusion in the minds of prospective
buyers between the Axes and Hatchets of
Plumb (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. and
the Axes and Hatchets of
the American Company Fayetle R. Plumb (Inc.)

'HYTEST' TOOLS ARE AUSTRALIAN MADE
BY AN AUSTRALIAN COMPANY
PLUMB (AUST.) PTY. LTD
Sydney and Melbourne.

The Courier-Mail (Brisbane, Qld.), Friday 4 January 1946, page 2
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/50280254

Back