What is fair wage for a helper splitting wood ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People talk about how an auto cycle valve is dangerous, but man when I see guys doing the two or three operator setup with one person running the valve it give me the heebie-jeebies. I'll keep my auto cycle valve and everyone else can keep their hands the fu©k away from my splitter while I'm running it.

You can encourage all you want but the youngsters today can't go 10 minutes with out taking a look. It is just like a drug addict they just have to have their phone fix.

Anyone who has not been around high school aged kids in the last 5 years absolutely, positively, could not, (ever!) imagine how they much they have changed. The smart-phone addiction - it is an epidemic. Walk into a high school hallway and see 20 or even 50 kids, all with their heads down glued to the blue light of their little machines. You'll think you're on a different planet! (I know you think I'm exaggerating... nope, saw this yesterday.)

And while it's dangerous to generalize, and I know some good kids, even some great kids, the masses of them are stuck to those screens like junkies to a needle. In all fairness, they still each need to be evaluated as individuals. So as to the OP, I know one works for the local well company, runs excavators and machinery at 17, working on his CDL for 18, what a great kid - I'd hire him in a minute for $15.00/ hr. - the others? Nope, nope and nope.

People talk about how an auto cycle valve is dangerous, but man when I see guys doing the two or three operator setup with one person running the valve it give me the heebie-jeebies. I'll keep my auto cycle valve and everyone else can keep their hands the fu©k away from my splitter while I'm running it.
Amen. Especially on one of these
img_20190322_194955-jpg.724806

Anyone who has not been around high school aged kids in the last 5 years absolutely, positively, could not, (ever!) imagine how they much they have changed. The smart-phone addiction - it is an epidemic. Walk into a high school hallway and see 20 or even 50 kids, all with their heads down glued to the blue light of their little machines. You'll think you're on a different planet! (I know you think I'm exaggerating... nope, saw this yesterday.)

And while it's dangerous to generalize, and I know some good kids, even some great kids, the masses of them are stuck to those screens like junkies to a needle. In all fairness, they still each need to be evaluated as individuals. So as to the OP, I know one works for the local well company, runs excavators and machinery at 17, working on his CDL for 18, what a great kid - I'd hire him in a minute for $15.00/ hr. - the others? Nope, nope and nope.

you are correct a kid or an adult under 40 that can keep their phone in their pocket for 60 minutes without looking is a rare find these days.

Absolutely right Tom. When you're trying to run an actual buisness you can't take that chance. I get a kick out of guys in the logging business that will pay cutters/skidder operators cash. You are just asking to get taken.

So you get all the wood I sent you split yet?

All split up. Worked out to be about 48 cords worth all said and done.

IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1944.JPG

Haven't had the greatest luck with ones that came by looking for work either.

I think the education system and parents have seriously failed many kids. Sorry but by the time one is early 20s, should be able to do most things a normal adult can.

IE, using hand and power tools, understanding fairly simple machines, like a lawn mower, how to cook basic meals, how to put in a decent day of work, etc. Understanding normal adult responsibility... like having a job, saving $$, paying bills, not doing drugs, etc.

Maybe it's just me, but if you are well over 18 and basically living in Mom's basement and the main goal in life is leveling up in Ninendo games, you might just end up maxing out with a career of the fry guy at McDonald's, putting in 20hrs a week.

Have one that "works". I'd have fired them long ago, but they have my buddy wrapped around their finger somehow.
A welfare rat of at least 2 generations and it's sickening the "I deserve" attitude. Does very minimal but has it in their mind that without them the place would come to a crashing halt.

Anymore I pretty much just ignore them.
now I may be biased having been 21 when my wife and I got married , 21 first house , 23 first child .
by the time some one turns 21 they have had their soft start at adult hood since the day they turned 18.
time to suck it up and learn fast if they were slacking before that.

now I may be biased having been 21 when my wife and I got married , 21 first house , 23 first child .
by the time some one turns 21 they have had their soft start at adult hood since the day they turned 18.
time to suck it up and learn fast if they were slacking before that.
father in-law, always told me that," if you don't have your right mind by 25. you are out of luck" …… lol leaves me wondering if I forgot something?

Back