Ways to reinforce W6x15 beam for 20-ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 140828

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to use a section of W6x15 H-beam (6" flanges and web, 1/4" thick) for an honest 20-ton log splitter I'm building. No luck so far locating a stronger one. My thought is it should be reinforced. First plan was to add 1/4" plates to both flanges and also box it in with 1/4" plates. As well as cap the ends, of course.

However, the beam is being repurposed from log splitter version 1, powered by a bottle jack, and had the wedge welded onto one of the flanges. So far I have cut off most of the wedge, but grinding the last 1/2" down flush to the flange would be a long and unthrilling process.

Could I instead turn that flange to the back and add a 3/8" plate to the front flange (instead of 1/4), and box it in with 1/4" plate? In other words, add a thicker plate onto one flange and leave the other as is (1/4"). If really necessary, I could also add 1/4" plate to most of the back flange, but would it really be needed?

As far as splitting forces go, as a rule the logs I get from the local tree crews aren't larger than, say, 20", but they can be all kinds of wood, some cut funny, lots of crotches, etc, so there are some tough cases in every lot.

What might be acceptable ways to reinforce this beam?

having seen some other builds here on square or rectangular tube instead of I-beam , I would think it much easier to source , stronger and not in need of reinforcement.

Hold the presses, at long last got a reply from a yard with W6x25 and some W8. Going down there to look now.

I would prefer to work with W6 if possible, but wasn't looking forward to messing with the one I have.

(Edited later)
Yes! Now have a good W6x25. Much better.

Back