Is this black locust?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely not a piece of meat like this. Cost me about 45 bones. Taste like pot roast on steroids, super rich. Did it Friday 033A0ADF-B563-4B8F-B23D-0A74B967F208.jpeg 739C124C-6AC6-4BDA-8700-8FDCA9BE4AC7.jpegusually I start it with propane. And I put the meat on the grates first so no wasted time 17285854-6CA1-4BD3-A651-C9EFE657922E.jpegthis is a piece of plum in here and I used white oak5C3AC4EA-9945-4332-963E-F7514EF8FA91.jpeg

I have burned a lot of black locust. Nothing like that. Black locust doesn't have thorns, honey locust does though. I have had very little plum but it did look like that.

Black locust does have thorns but only on young wood - usually gone on wood over 3 years old. They sting like the devil when you get punctured. Great wood once you get all the thorny branches off them

I have heard that there is both thorn and thorn free black locusts, but any I have cut did not have thorns. Seen plenty of thorny honey locusts though. I wonder if the cross breed and hybridize.

Regardless this is certainly not locust at the beginning of this thread.

If you cut a black locust the resprout will be very thorny, they seems to react to the stimuli such as grazing in the environment they grow in. Forest grown is usually not thorny

If you cut a black locust the resprout will be very thorny, they seems to react to the stimuli such as grazing in the environment they grow in. Forest grown is usually not thorny

That would explain it. I only cut in woods with mature trees. Most the locusts I have cut are at least 40 ft tall and somewhere around a foot diameter at the stump.

The thorns on the black locust around me are only on the newish growth and they are fairly small, kind of like rose thorns but they are sharp as a needle and just about as hard.

The color and grain of OP's wood reminds me of a Bradford Pear I took out. Almost had a peach color to it. It didn't splinter at all, it kind of flaked.

Latest posts

Back