038 mag stripped case bolts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
i just got a call from the dealer telling me that one of my case bolts is stripped, one for the cylinder head. Anyone have success repairing these, I tried blue loctite and they still keep backing out. Should I try going back with a 6mm bolt and tapping the hole, or going back with red loctite? The bolt holds down and torques it just backs out when the eingine is running.

i just got a call from the dealer telling me that one of my case bolts is stripped, one for the cylinder head. Anyone have success repairing these, I tried blue loctite and they still keep backing out. Should I try going back with a 6mm bolt and tapping the hole, or going back with red loctite? The bolt holds down and torques it just backs out when the eingine is running.
Timeserts https://www.belmetric.com/time-sert-thread-repair-c-217/

Just go with the 6 mm and red loctite.

The kits run around $85. for most thread sizes up here but I still buy and use them, just did an 026 PRO cylinder spark plug last weekend. I seal the insert in with the cylinder off the saw and I check for leaks by pulling vac on them before installing back on the crankcase, no leaks so a happy customer.

The kits run around $85. for most thread sizes up here but I still buy and use them, just did an 026 PRO cylinder spark plug last weekend. I seal the insert in with the cylinder off the saw and I check for leaks by pulling vac on them before installing back on the crankcase, no leaks so a happy customer.
How do you get the spark plug hole tapped exactly correct so it don't leak ?

How do you get the spark plug hole tapped exactly correct so it don't leak ?

Not difficult for any machinist. Index it with a machined rod turned to 14.95 mm on one end, 15 mm on the other end, in the chuck that tightly fits the plug bore, clamp the angle vice tightly to the table of the drill press or end mill with the cylinder clamped tight in it and when everything is aligned correctly change out the indexing rod for the drill bit from the kit being used. Drill and tap, clean the thread in the cylinder head out well with a solvent to remove any oil and contamination, clean insert threads , mix and apply sealer to the threads in the head, thread in insert until flush with the plug seat and let sit until cured. Clear as mud, eh.

$_59.JPG

tap it out a size bigger'd be what i'd try first.
unlikely red will hold either if blue didnt.
That’s kinda what I’m thinking I have a 6mm tap, did a handle bolt the other day and it turned out well just didn’t know if it was something that would be suitable to hold down a cylinder head. The dealer says don’t do it, but I don’t see how 1mm of aluminum could make much of a difference if any at all on the case.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking I have a 6mm tap, did a handle bolt the other day and it turned out well just didn’t know if it was something that would be suitable to hold down a cylinder head. The dealer says don’t do it, but I don’t see how 1mm of aluminum could make much of a difference if any at all on the case.
It works quit well, actually. Done it many times.

Dont do it use the proper Timesert if you start tapping and screw up you got nothing left to work with you cant keep going bigger, do you even know the larger screw will fit in there?

Dont do it use the proper Timesert if you start tapping and screw up you got nothing left to work with you cant keep going bigger, do you even know the larger screw will fit in there?
Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t you have to drill it oversized to install the Timesert?

Back