Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ran out of room for wood and had to start a new spot to dump and split. Wet western has made access in to dump interesting. The split pile is two rows side by side you are seeming one of the piles the other is hidden by it the in split wood goes all the way down to the left of the split pile and there are a few more cords to the right of the picture that I couldn’t get close enough to dump due to mud will have to move it with the tractor later 74032258-9580-4A1D-AE0F-D9932705D644.jpeg

James, I can actually say that I have never owned a Echo chain saw but I have used lots of Echo gear. I likely still have some laying around. And it was a joke, I wouldn't let me wife use an Echo to cut meat, that would be a waste of bar oil. My buddy bought an Echo a couple of years ago and he loved the thing.
Back in the 70's Dad mostly had Homelites, but if he got a new climber that wanted something different for his personal climbing saw, he would get one for him. One guy wanted an Echo and it turned out to be a good saw, so, Dad tried 2-3 more, up to about 70CC's, and never had a bit of trouble with them. I still have one of his old ones, but it just rides on the shelf. I have too many to keep them all running. I used to tell friends to get a new Echo for homeowner use, it was much better than the Poulans, and a lot cheaper than a Stihl or Husky. But, if they let them sit for long periods with fuel in them they have the same problems as every thing else. Now I tell people to get one of the good battery saws and never have carb problems. Now they just have to hope they don't keep changing the batteries so you can't get new ones when they die.

You Aussies and Kiwi amaze me everyday. Just watched a video that showed up this week of a “bloke” that caught a a barundi and a salty comes flying out of the water and chases them until it gets close enough to grab the fish and swallow it. Scrounging wood near water would be out of the question.
You know better :dumb:.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
Or videos in this case, I know, some Aussie may fix the emoticon to say video for me :badpc: :lol:.

I am not really sure what type of oak it is, the Bark on the trees is very different then what I have seen in the past. I sure would like to identify it though. I think most of it is Coast Live Oak, as im not cutting too far from the pacific ocean. there is a few Red oaks scattered amongst them too. I got 3 trailer loads of what I estimate at least 1.25 cords each and 1 8ft pick up bed out of the tree in the creek bed.
I've heard that live oak out there can be real fun to split :chop::surprised3::eek::nofunny::baba:, okay I give up:chainsaw: :rock2:.
Looks like some very nice loads your piling up there. Do you have plenty already put up for next season to let this sit for a a season or two.

Back in the 70's Dad mostly had Homelites, but if he got a new climber that wanted something different for his personal climbing saw, he would get one for him. One guy wanted an Echo and it turned out to be a good saw, so, Dad tried 2-3 more, up to about 70CC's, and never had a bit of trouble with them. I still have one of his old ones, but it just rides on the shelf. I have too many to keep them all running. I used to tell friends to get a new Echo for homeowner use, it was much better than the Poulans, and a lot cheaper than a Stihl or Husky. But, if they let them sit for long periods with fuel in them they have the same problems as every thing else. Now I tell people to get one of the good battery saws and never have carb problems. Now they just have to hope they don't keep changing the batteries so you can't get new ones when they die.
The second half of that sounds much like the tree guys who will buy the farm ranch saws, they say if they're gonna run them over, drop them from the bucket, and straight gas them in a yr it's not worth buying a pro saw, there's only so much time to be saved on cutting a branch anyway. Yes I said that :surprised3:, it's just one type of business model and I know many will disagree, that's okay.
For people who will only run a saw once in a while(to me less than a card worth of cutting a yr) and don't run 2-stroke equipment else wise, they should just buy canned fuel. It can save a lot on repairs for the average person, and a lot of time for someone who is handy.
Your dad sounds like a great guy to work for, I'm sure he had high expectations, but it also seems he gave you what you needed to met those requirements :). I can say with certainty that's not been the case with all my employers :nofunny:.

I've heard that live oak out there can be real fun to split :chop::surprised3::eek::nofunny::baba:, okay I give up:chainsaw: :rock2:.
Looks like some very nice loads your piling up there. Do you have plenty already put up for next season to let this sit for a a season or two.
Yeah. I’m trying to get 40’cords + stock for rotation 28 wasn’t enough

Saw wasn’t running well but still got a couple tanks in. Walked behind the cabin to what was mostly softwood species. Most of them were cut but not processed. Some cut to 4ft lengths. I’ll be cleaning them up little by little. 5529C7BA-9E3C-496A-9297-AE1B30BA97E8.jpeg94016435-B5BB-4F56-B47B-8ADC389A8954.jpegD57E0A00-3FFC-4796-90C3-BC6F22BC2253.jpeg

Last picture is where I was. You can see a small part of the cabin to the right.

You Aussies and Kiwi amaze me everyday. Just watched a video that showed up this week of a “bloke” that caught a a barundi and a salty comes flying out of the water and chases them until it gets close enough to grab the fish and swallow it. Scrounging wood near water would be out of the question.
Only crocs in NZ are those soft shoes. No 'gaitors, snakes, drop bears. A few angry spiders but that's about it.

And remember, you have to watch out for Donk !
yep, don't need a gun when you have a donk!! AKA @bigfellascott in his younger years.:laughing:
5JOo8mG.jpg

Latest posts

Back