91VXL Chain is very chattery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akbeard

Kobuk
Reaction score
I love this forum and have gotten a bunch of great information from it. I just bought 2 new chains for my saw and it is very chattery. I tried looking up some threads and saw that other people mentioned the same and also mentioned that it could be resharpened? Does anyone have any suggestions or is this something I'll just have to deal with? I'm running it on a 40cc Husky saw. Thank you in advance.

Usually when it's like that the depth gauges are to low. I would sharpen the cutter and see if that helps if not sharpen it again. Not familiar with this chain but that's what I would do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I run it on a 490 Echo and love it, I think it’s smoother than the original .325. As @brock1994 said, check your rakers.

Yes, they are brand new low profile 3/8 chains. After reading that other thread you showed, I’ll use it for a bit and see how it goes. I don’t feel like filing that rear relief cut yet and I guess I’ll wait until it needs sharpened and see if that changes anything. I only tried it out on a reel from the woodpile when I was adjusting the carb. I haven’t really got to use it yet. This is a secondary used saw I bought to throw in wheeler, take camping and just have a small backup saw. Thanks for your replies!

Adding a bit more hook may help. That won't shorten the cutter, just change the profile.

Ok, that's what I'm going to do, just run 'em! I guess it won't bother anything. From my test reel, it seems to cut pretty well in birch. I did a muff mod too and that's why I was adjusting to carb. I have some more to learn on that part as well but it seems to be pretty well dialed in. I may fine tune it after I can get it into a little more wood.

LOL, just cut some wood!!
After you sharpen them, there will be no issue then.
Just note if they cut better/faster now, or after you sharpen them.......

Much of the issue with VXL is the top plate is very long. Clipping the heel helps a bit. Taking the cutter back after a few filings also helps. It is one of my least favourite chains to use on a small saw. Very chattery and grabby until after several sharpenings. I much prefer picco.

Much of the issue with VXL is the top plate is very long. Clipping the heel helps a bit. Taking the cutter back after a few filings also helps. It is one of my least favourite chains to use on a small saw. Very chattery and grabby until after several sharpenings. I much prefer picco.
I’m really surprised to hear that— after so many positive comments about VXL a couple years ago I got a loop for my 30cc limber. Immediately loved its speed and smoothness so much I tossed all the old chains and ordered several more VXL’s. Never found any of them to be chattery nor grabby.
In fact, I’ve been so pleased with its cost/performance I didn’t even consider anything else when I recently ordered a bunch for a 37cc Echo project saw that’s nearing completion. Really hoping something hasn’t changed in the design or quality

Some people might not notice? To me, even the Stihl 3/8LP is nowhere near as smooth as 325NK. I don't even bother with VXL. I run 325nk on my Echo 390 and MS241. But I mainly do firewood and cut large pieces. Also, 325nk lasts much, much longer.

http://en.oregonproducts.com/pro/products/chain/95TXL.htm

168953134.u1IBl6dd.DSC00765.jpg

168965249.CfcIRYph.241_saw_horse_2.jpg

158973933.t0wfdcQt.firewoodses3.jpg

And I did most of this with 3/8Lo Pro Stihl chain on an 18" bar riding along in an MS241 in case anyone wonders what sort of 3/8 experience I've had:

161127244.FB9THQwK.241woodle.jpg

That explains why txl has the angled heel. Good stuff.

That's a heck of a pile of wood going down that hill.

Latest posts

Back