Looking to buy a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have at least 2 saws when cutting...never know when you'll need to cut your first saw out of a jam :p
That said...if you you want one saw for a spread of wood diameter get a Stihl in the size you like and run a couple different bars. Full comp chain and 8t sprocket on smaller bars and full skip and 7t sprocket on longer.
From what you've been saying it sounds like a 18" 261 will work fine. get a 25" bar/skip chain and 7t sprocket for the larger stuff.
Why the Stihl? easy rim sprocket change! Can't do that with Husky...have to pull the clutch. I don't know about the Echos.
I use my 346xps (16, 18") down to around 18-20" diameter then switch to the 661. used to cut all day with a 266xp and 066/24"...those days are looong gone :p
this getting old schtuff sucks...

So...please correct me and I don't want to offend anyone..but if your only cutting firewood, I assuming you driving up close to it and you're just carrying the saw to the tree. My dad's 84 this April he cuts a lot of firewood for as extra income. He's on his 4th motor on his log splitter he cuts a lot of wood. He just wore out his 461 and bought a 372 and I asked him why he bought another big saw instead of something lighter. He said he wants to get something done and wanted a saw that would chew thru the wood. The few limbs he cut wasn't the issue. So...84 yr old has been working in the woods falling timber since he was 12yrs old. He should know something about cutting firewood.

I think the 362 is the perfect saw for most everything and I did a lot of looking before I bought mine. Problem is my saw I bought has low compression... brand new 110 psi dealing with that now. My go to saw has away been a Stihl AV034 love that saw which is about the same weight as the 362. The 034 has less power and I've cut with a 28" bar a few time, I run a 20" most of the time. The loggers in my area that do run 362 run 25" or 28" bars. So the 362 with 20" bar should have good chain speed/ power which is why I think its a good saw for firewood. I just recommend you have the saw shop run a compression test on the saw before you buy it...should be > 135lbs worse case. One thing I did find out about the 362 if your old school like me the oiler is bit stingy for 25" bar...fine for 20". I upgraded mine oiler to 462R oiler. The dwg is bit small I think if you're falling. My 362 with the light weight 25" bar weighs less and is suppose to have 1/2 horse more power than my 034AV with 20" bar. Plus the balance is better on the 362 with my bar choice. Longer bar you don't have to bend over as much. I'm sure what ever you choice will be fine 262 or 362 but I'd lean towards the bigger saw if your not dragging up and down hills and doing a lot of limbing.

Well, I get as close as I can with the buggy. From there I have to fight my way in through the briars. You really don't want to stumble through that mess with any bigger saw than absolutely necessary. Some of that stuff has to be cut away, but some is best pushed aside. A chainsaw really isn't good for cutting briars. Sometimes, if the chain is the slightest bit loose, cutting briars can cause the chain to jump off the bar. That causes all kinds of problems. Since I live in the big thicket, briars are a way of life. Besides as was pointed out earlier, the tree gets considerably smaller working up towards the top. So only a few feet of tree needs the big saw. I use everything big as my wrist. It all has to go away, since it's as much about clearing out deadwood, as it is about cordwood. So it's definitely a multiple saw solution for me. Pretty much have to have a back up saw on hand anyway.

So...please correct me and I don't want to offend anyone..but if your only cutting firewood, I assuming you driving up close to it and you're just carrying the saw to the tree. My dad's 84 this April he cuts a lot of firewood for as extra income. He's on his 4th motor on his log splitter he cuts a lot of wood. He just wore out his 461 and bought a 372 and I asked him why he bought another big saw instead of something lighter. He said he wants to get something done and wanted a saw that would chew thru the wood. The few limbs he cut wasn't the issue. So...84 yr old has been working in the woods falling timber since he was 12yrs old. He should know something about cutting firewood.

I think the 362 is the perfect saw for most everything and I did a lot of looking before I bought mine. Problem is my saw I bought has low compression... brand new 110 psi dealing with that now. My go to saw has away been a Stihl AV034 love that saw which is about the same weight as the 362. The 034 has less power and I've cut with a 28" bar a few time, I run a 20" most of the time. The loggers in my area that do run 362 run 25" or 28" bars. So the 362 with 20" bar should have good chain speed/ power which is why I think its a good saw for firewood. I just recommend you have the saw shop run a compression test on the saw before you buy it...should be > 135lbs worse case. One thing I did find out about the 362 if your old school like me the oiler is bit stingy for 25" bar...fine for 20". I upgraded mine oiler to 462R oiler. The dwg is bit small I think if you're falling. My 362 with the light weight 25" bar weighs less and is suppose to have 1/2 horse more power than my 034AV with 20" bar. Plus the balance is better on the 362 with my bar choice. Longer bar you don't have to bend over as much. I'm sure what ever you choice will be fine 262 or 362 but I'd lean towards the bigger saw if your not dragging up and down hills and doing a lot of limbing.

My vote would be 261 v2. We dropped 40 trees and bucked them up, mostly ash, but all with the 261 with a 20 bar with the .325 chain. I just love how the 50cc feel so light and easy to maneuver. When i tried the 362 and 562 they felt to me just as heavy as my o44, so i just went up to 70cc, but that option is too expensive for you. Plenty of other good saws like echo timberwolf, husky 365, makita 6401 but they are all 70cc heavy to me, especially if you run a 170 a lot.

My vote would be 261 v2. We dropped 40 trees and bucked them up, mostly ash, but all with the 261 with a 20 bar with the .325 chain. I just love how the 50cc feel so light and easy to maneuver. When i tried the 362 and 562 they felt to me just as heavy as my o44, so i just went up to 70cc, but that option is too expensive for you. Plenty of other good saws like echo timberwolf, husky 365, makita 6401 but they are all 70cc heavy to me, especially if you run a 170 a lot.

Well the 170 rides shotgun on the utv. But some days I already know that won't do it. And a 42cc poulan doesn't cut as well as I'd like. So I did need something bigger, but more than that, I wanted a bigger go to, all around saw. After visiting the dealer though, I knew that the 261 wouldn't be the right fit. It's just a bit heavier, and physically bigger than I wanted. So while I still need a heavy duty saw, I've solved the poulan problem for now with a ms 251. I'm not crazy about the whole design of the 251. But it cuts decent, and runs better than the poulan ever did. This will free up some time to search for a better deal on a more suitable saw. The beauty of this plan, is that weight will no longer be a concern. I've already got my eye on a like new ms391 in the local classifieds.

Congrats on the new saw, i know people on here prefer the pro models, but my dad used a 025 then 250 then now a 251 and he loves it and drops more trees than me! He thinks its ridiculous the cost of the larger saws when he can get so much done with his.

Well the 170 rides shotgun on the utv. But some days I already know that won't do it. And a 42cc poulan doesn't cut as well as I'd like. So I did need something bigger, but more than that, I wanted a bigger go to, all around saw. After visiting the dealer though, I knew that the 261 wouldn't be the right fit. It's just a bit heavier, and physically bigger than I wanted. So while I still need a heavy duty saw, I've solved the poulan problem for now with a ms 251. I'm not crazy about the whole design of the 251. But it cuts decent, and runs better than the poulan ever did. This will free up some time to search for a better deal on a more suitable saw. The beauty of this plan, is that weight will no longer be a concern. I've already got my eye on a like new ms391 in the local classifieds.
Sounds like a great plan. That 261 is slightly chunky.

I've got even a smaller step up in my saws.

I got the little Echo CS-346 with a long slender 16" bar and chain for easy reach. Which is probably very similar powerwise to the 170, but smaller and lighter.
While this saw can cut some bigger stuff...if you've got the time, it's slow roll really shines in cutting up small diameter limbs, and brush, of four inches and down. This saw will also cut through vines and briars and brush without ever throwing a chain, I guess because it doesn't rev very high.

And then a more modern version of the same saw in the CS-361P, with a shorter 14" bar, a little more size, a little more weight, a lot more speed and a good deal more power. This saw is good for cutting down and cutting up anything up to about eight or ten inches, with an adequate amount of speed.
That might be a bit optimistic. I'll usually grab the 490 when I get over 8" hardwood so it doesn't take too long.

But with these two lightweights getting most of my work done, I sure don't mind picking up a heavy saw when I need to.

Congrats on the new saw, i know people on here prefer the pro models, but my dad used a 025 then 250 then now a 251 and he loves it and drops more trees than me! He thinks its ridiculous the cost of the larger saws when he can get so much done with his.

I really wanted a pro saw, but it looked like the next step up was the 261. The 251 definitely cuts better than the poulans that I've been using. And that's using the chain that came with it. I picked up a more aggressive chain while I was at the dealer. But it throws much bigger chips as it is.

I don't really know how that chain tensioner will work out though. I'm guessing that it's one of those things that some love, and some don't care for. One thing is certain, it makes the chain adjustment process go much faster. It's new right now, but after everything gets worn a bit, we'll see if it has to be tightened much more often. I'm expecting it'll be more often, but if it's every other cut that might be a pain in the backside. I would've preferred the standard two stud set-up.

So, Would a 266XP be considered a 60cc Class saw, or an Honorary 70 cc Class saw? :confused:

I have wondered about this for quite awhile, at 66.7cc, it is much closer to 70cc, than 60cc, and everyone seems to group saws in 10cc classes, so what do you all consider a 266XP, 60cc or 70cc?:confused:

Doug :cheers:

I would call it a 60cc saw. Most people call a Dolmar 7900, which is 79cc, a 70cc class saw.

Well, I get as close as I can with the buggy. From there I have to fight my way in through the briars. You really don't want to stumble through that mess with any bigger saw than absolutely necessary. Some of that stuff has to be cut away, but some is best pushed aside. A chainsaw really isn't good for cutting briars. Sometimes, if the chain is the slightest bit loose, cutting briars can cause the chain to jump off the bar. That causes all kinds of problems. Since I live in the big thicket, briars are a way of life. Besides as was pointed out earlier, the tree gets considerably smaller working up towards the top. So only a few feet of tree needs the big saw. I use everything big as my wrist. It all has to go away, since it's as much about clearing out deadwood, as it is about cordwood. So it's definitely a multiple saw solution for me. Pretty much have to have a back up saw on hand anyway.

Sounds like the 262 if you're still thinking about Stihl would be better choice. Smaller used saw around here are lot easier to find if you have time to wait. Here an example of used almost new 262
" https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/d/beaverton-stihl-ms261c-chain-saw/6849507036.html " I see home owner buy saws and have plans to use them and never end up doing so and selling them later. However, I rather buy saw from a logger then a woodcutter but these saws home owner used for some tree that fell down are the best. I hope you find what your looking for...there are lot good saws out there and some that are not ...even New saws have problems which I'm finding out. If your buying new you have a warranty, if its used the price different may not be worth...I would run compression test on any used saw and run it before you buy it. Make sure it idles good , rev right. You never know what kind of fuel or oil was used. But once you buy a used saw its yours and all its problems.

I’d go for the Echo. They’re durable, easy to start and use, and have plenty of power. Echo also doesn’t discontinue parts availability like Stihl does and they don’t hide their part numbers and diagrams from the public like Stihl does.

That’s my $.02.

As long as you are comfortable pulling the carb limiters and know how to tune it.

You may void the warranty doing so but from what I’ve read about their warranty covering anything you are probably better off voiding it anyway.

Ms261s are nice, as the new husky 550xp v2 probsbly will be too.

A sweet cherry 026 would probably be nice too.

I was in the same predicament last year i had a ms 250 for a while and it was a decent saw i wanted to go bigger thats when i joind arborist site and got lots of great help... in the end i went with the ms 261c-m and i love it ive cut about 3 cords this year its probably my favorite saw ive used hope this helps btw i got a 20 inch bar

Sounds like the 262 if you're still thinking about Stihl would be better choice. Smaller used saw around here are lot easier to find if you have time to wait. Here an example of used almost new 262
" https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/d/beaverton-stihl-ms261c-chain-saw/6849507036.html " I see home owner buy saws and have plans to use them and never end up doing so and selling them later. However, I rather buy saw from a logger then a woodcutter but these saws home owner used for some tree that fell down are the best. I hope you find what your looking for...there are lot good saws out there and some that are not ...even New saws have problems which I'm finding out. If your buying new you have a warranty, if its used the price different may not be worth...I would run compression test on any used saw and run it before you buy it. Make sure it idles good , rev right. You never know what kind of fuel or oil was used. But once you buy a used saw its yours and all its problems.

Here's a good example of our local craigslist. While I'm sure it's an oldie but goodie, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

Screenshot_2019-03-27-13-38-54.png There's quite a few craftsman, and even a John Deere. All the quality saws are either too rough, or too old, or more saw than I need. Anything worth having is going for a hundred less than full, brand new prices.

Your firewood cutting and mine are similar. I mostly cut 20" poplar with occaisional 24" plus tree in the mix.

A 60cc saw is in my oppinion what you want and or need. I used to run 2 ms260s (one ported) up about 14" wood and then pull out my 038 magnum (72cc) for everything bigger. The big saw is fun and very fast but it beats me up over a long day so I tire quickly.

After putting some time on my newly built 562xp husky I'm now a 60cc believer. Its got enough grunt to noodle big logs and its light enough to use all day. I went cutting last saturday and I put more wood on the truck with 1 562 then i ever have with any of my other saws. I figure its from the smoothness of the saw, the fuel econmy and the fact its pretty light so I had more energy for a longer period.

Wether its an echo, stihl, husqvarna or whatever I think 60cc is the best all around size for most of us..
I have to agree with the 562. its a really good saw. mainly cut oaks and it is now my go to saw. I use it to limb and buck as well as dropping limbs and trees when needed too. I only have about 14 tanks through it, but purchased a bunch of chain for it as it is really a nice saw to run.

Here's a good example of our local craigslist. While I'm sure it's an oldie but goodie, it's not quite what I'm looking for.

View attachment 725968 There's quite a few craftsman, and even a John Deere. All the quality saws are either too rough, or too old, or more saw than I need. Anything worth having is going for a hundred less than full, brand new prices.

Don't discount an older Craftsman saws. Most are rebagged Poulan saws. Many here know the Craftsman to Poulan cross reference chart in their sleep, so if you find one that looks good, ask about it. You may have stumbled into a jem.

Latest posts

Back