Working the big rounds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrider

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
4A0EE540-30C4-42CA-B3B0-5301EAF31B23.jpeg 8D830A33-B56F-4A6F-B358-88AC0EC10B46.jpeg 2E7AA153-67FC-48CA-A82A-9DB1F3D44A8D.jpeg E6EE0720-1C5A-42A5-8969-9454553E2803.jpeg I’ve been working on the big logs for the last few weeks trying to get them done before it really gets warm out. I’m very thankful for my tw6 with log lift. Most of what’s pictured is over 30” in diameter and there’s some stuff pushing 45”. I will be glad when I have these done.
I included 2 pics of my piles so far. Usually only have one going at a time but I have 2 due to where logs and rounds were dumped.

A couple years ago we bought a bunch of huge logs that a tree service guy had saved. I'll never do that again. The big rounds makes some beautiful firewood but they are a lot of work to wrestle them around. Did you find the piece of metal in that one round? We had 2 logs this year that had that distinct black dot in them and we found it both times.

IMG_0926.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

TW-6 is a nice machine.
These pick are from 2014/15, and I've posted them before.
I found the big round splitting process goes something like this.
Big round on beam, split, big pieces fall on ground on each side of machine.
A variation is one piece can be wrestled to the beam, the far side piece falls on ground next to log lift. Or, if you operate alone and on the log lift side, the big piece falling is not next to the log lift. Either way, your circling the machine if working alone.

There are some red flags here.
One is big falling pieces, at hundreds of pounds per chunk.
Typically more than one person would run a splitter/load a splitter of this size. Which tells me right there it is problematic. Also, as noted, the log lift on the opposite side is just not ideal for a single operator.

So after a month, of this machine working me way more than necessary, I had a welder modify the four-way wedge.
(He used a piece of scrap with holes in it, which at the time I was not thrilled with, but oh well, it worked.)

I split from the log lift side.
First split with four-way lowered.
Large pieces remain within reach on top of four-way.
If lower pieces need re-split, raise four-way to untrap them and pull back with pulp hook.
(both large pieces remain on top of four-way wing)
Re-split lower pieces, and lower four-way wedge.
Using pulp hook slide near side half to raised log lift, far side piece to beam.
Repeat. Raising wedge as needed to untrap lower splits. Splitting large pieces with wedge lowered, and small pieces with wedge raised and tabling the larger pieces in the air out of the way.
Using a pulp hook to pull and slide pieces rather than lifting, and keeping fingers away from the wedge, especially the lower splits is the way to go.
A second person staging rounds near the lowered lift is great but not loading or pulling splits.
Everyone does it, regardless of the obvious hazards, in part because the machine are set up poorly for single operators.
Add complacency (the it only happens to others mentality), fatigue, the quick knee jerk repositioning splits that move or shift, are all problematic with multiple helpers.
Rant over, this mode proved helpful being more ergomomic/efficient and requiring less physical input per round at the splitter.
New:

IMG_1383.jpg IMG_1385.jpg IMG_1435.jpg
Modified a month later:

IMG_1466.jpg IMG_1505.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1511.jpg IMG_1513.jpg IMG_1515.jpg
This splitter is now in Illinois somewhere.

A couple years ago we bought a bunch of huge logs that a tree service guy had saved. I'll never do that again. The big rounds makes some beautiful firewood but they are a lot of work to wrestle them around. Did you find the piece of metal in that one round? We had 2 logs this year that had that distinct black dot in them and we found it both times.

View attachment 725305 View attachment 725307 View attachment 725308
I didn’t find the metal thankfully

When we get large logs of nice quality, they usually get saved and turned into lumber. May as well get $500 of lumber out of it vs $50 of firewood.

Firewood grade is more common though, trees in this area over ~2ft dbh are often rotten in the center or look like something out of a horror movie with all the twists, crooks and knobs!

We cut them by hand, then chunk them up with vertical splitter to reduce the size/weight and then toss into the processor splitter.

I may pickup a skidsteer splitter at some point, would certainly be easier not wrestling big pieces.
https://www.woodsplitterdirect.com/p/30-ton-upside-down-skid-steer-log-splitter-attachment/

jrider
You have a nice pile of firewood there. I think this last fall I finished the last of the big dia logs off the farm we cut wood at. I am getting too old to work that big wood and I do have a skid loader and a log lift on my splitter that will handle the big stuff.

Wrestling big blocks back into position for re-splitting is exactly the issue that makes an upright, table mounted splitter like the Powersplit so efficient.

I’ve built several.
They are a pleasure to use.

TW-6 is a nice machine.
A variation is one piece can be wrestled to the beam, the far side piece falls on ground next to log lift. Or, if you operate alone and on the log lift side, the big piece falling is not next to the log lift. Either way, your circling the machine if working alone.

Typically more than one person would run a splitter/load a splitter of this size. Which tells me right there it is problematic. Also, as noted, the log lift on the opposite side is just not ideal for a single operator.

So after a month, of this machine working me way more than necessary, I had a welder modify the four-way wedge.
(He used a piece of scrap with holes in it, which at the time I was not thrilled with, but oh well, it worked.)

If lower pieces need re-split, raise four-way to untrap them and pull back with pulp hook.
Using pulp hook slide near side half to raised log lift, far side piece to beam.
Repeat. Raising wedge as needed to untrap lower splits. Splitting large pieces with wedge lowered, and small pieces with wedge raised and tabling the larger pieces in the air out of the way.
Using a pulp hook to pull and slide pieces rather than lifting, and keeping fingers away from the wedge, especially the lower splits is the way to go.
A second person staging rounds near the lowered lift is great but not loading or pulling splits.
Everyone does it, regardless of the obvious hazards, in part because the machine are set up poorly for single operators.
Add complacency (the it only happens to others mentality), fatigue, the quick knee jerk repositioning splits that move or shift, are all problematic with multiple helpers.
Rant over, this mode proved helpful being more ergomomic/efficient and requiring less physical input per round at the splitter.
New:

View attachment 725323 View attachment 725324 View attachment 725325
Modified a month later:

View attachment 725326 View attachment 725327 View attachment 725328 View attachment 725329 View attachment 725330 View attachment 725331 View attachment 725332
One question, Sandhill. On the side of the log lift, it says “Caution-keep feet away.” How many feet away?

View attachment 725266 View attachment 725267 View attachment 725268 View attachment 725269 I’ve been working on the big logs for the last few weeks trying to get them done before it really gets warm out. I’m very thankful for my tw6 with log lift. Most of what’s pictured is over 30” in diameter and there’s some stuff pushing 45”. I will be glad when I have these done.
I included 2 pics of my piles so far. Usually only have one going at a time but I have 2 due to where logs and rounds were dumped.
I see Maple
Some can get HUGE.

TW-6 is a nice machine.

New:

View attachment 725323 View attachment 725324 View attachment 725325
Modified a month later:

View attachment 725326 View attachment 725327 View attachment 725328 View attachment 725329 View attachment 725330 View attachment 725331 View attachment 725332
Those big Oak rounds would be heavy.
It looks like hard work pushing and pulling them around.
But you have some nice firewood in a couple years for sure.
I love Oak, Maple and Ironwood(Hop Hornbeem)
We have lots of those species here.

Post #5, photo #2.
There is room to stand between the hydraulic tank and the log lift, behind the back inside edge of the tire.
There is down pressure on the log lift. Toes be ware!
You have to make sure the the splitter is level side to side and front to back. Especially front to back if your going to stand on the postage stamp footprint, next to one quarter ton rounds. And that the round does not have a protruding nub below or behind it that will contact the log lift and cause a shift. There is little to no escape route.
Having used it, my assessment is that it is a poor layout.
Why it is copied so much I have no idea.
The whole machine is an accident, or at very least, a hernia waiting to happen.
Accessory tools are a pulp hook, a cant hook, and a full water jug, per person, equally as big as the machines five gallon gas tank.

Back