Which log splitter for under $2K?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
If you were in the market for a new log splitter, which one would you choose based on the following criteria:

- Prefer to have a Honda GX engine
- Would prefer idle down feature found on the NorthStar
- Must be able to split vertically and horizontally
- Would like at least a 30-ton unit (would prefer a 37-ton)
- Having a removable, 4-way wedge included would be a bonus
- Cost under $2K
- Parts availability is important to me

I have looked at NorthStar, YardMax, RuggedMade, CountyLine, Dirty Hand Tools. Of those, I'm leaning towards a NorthStar. Are there any others I have overlooked that I should be considering. This will be used for personal use to heat with wood.

I believe member SB47 has had the model I posted for around a year. He will likely chime in with how he likes it. The nice thing is that for a budget price hydraulic splitter, it has a pretty fast cycle time of 9.5 seconds. A lot of the hydraulic splitters are more like 15-20 seconds.

I second the forget tons (most are claiming tonnage that they can't produce anyway) and look at cycle time.
I also find vertical splitting to be stupid. Why would anyone want to work on the ground? If it was vertical up on a table waist high that would be different, but a log lift with a horizontal only splitter is much more productive. If you can't afford a log lift, noodle the stuff you can't lift.
Pretty much any hydraulic splitter uses the same basic parts so replacing them is fairly universal.

I second the forget tons (most are claiming tonnage that they can't produce anyway) and look at cycle time.
I also find vertical splitting to be stupid. Why would anyone want to work on the ground? If it was vertical up on a table waist high that would be different, but a log lift with a horizontal only splitter is much more productive. If you can't afford a log lift, noodle the stuff you can't lift.
Pretty much any hydraulic splitter uses the same basic parts so replacing them is fairly universal.

No, it's not stupid. I don't want the extra weight and size of a lift since I tow my splitter thru the woods right to where the rounds landed when cut off the tree. Pretty easy to tip the beam up and flop the round over onto the foot. Get enough small enough to lift decently easy then go horizontal again. Maybe if my splitter was parked in a yard and had all the wood brought to it I would consider a lift. Different strokes for different situations does not make one of them stupid.

DHT

I have the 27 ton and am happy with it , they also have a 30 ton with Honda

not sure how important the idle down as I try and spend very little time not splitting when I am splitting but I suppose it could save some fuel.

A call to DHT they had the parts available to be shipped to me when I needed them.

there are times for vertical like when the splitter is easier to move to the round than the round to the splitter.

faster a cycle time is nice.

unless you have just wicked twisted grain and knots in every piece I don't know that you need 37 ton , 27 ton will cut right through some very twisted knotty stuff.

the DHT 27 you would have room left in your budget.

I have a yard max 25 ton but it's a Briggs not a Honda and let me tell you for the 899 I paid its awsome I've used and owned 4 other splitters and this thing is pretty good goes horizontal and vertical came was a free removable 4 way wedge and log catchers and its built pretty dang well and the briggs is pretty easy on gas and starts on first pull the exhaust is loud but I wear the 3m am/FM ear muffs so no biggy for me

IMO all the splitters in your price range are pretty much the same. They are built to a price point. Luckily they seem to be pretty well sorted out and reliable from what I have seen.

You didn’t mention how much use it would see in a year. Unless you are using it commercially, which you said you’re not, you’ll probably never wear out any engine so paying a lot more for a commercial Honda engine is overkill.

As far as parts availability, most splitters are off the shelf hydraulic parts and engines so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. They are simple machines. Engine, pump, valve, cylinder, hoses, and frame. Other than the frame it’s unlikely that any other parts are proprietary.

I have a 22ton speeco about ten years old. It has split anything and everything 10-15 cords a year with not problem one. I have used it side by side with a 37ton splitter and I prefer the 22. The 22 ton is faster in the first stage but slower in the second but most of the cycle is in the first stage. The 22ton is easier to maneuver too. I can move the 22 ton like a wheelbarrow, not so much with the 37. It was the first time I bought a tool that wasn’t the heavy duty version and I still am happy with my choice.

I chose the speeco because I could pick it up locally, price, and at the time they had demonstrated good customer service. Today I would probably choose a DHT based on the same criteria.

Agree on tonnage. I have a 22 ton Countyline, do 15-18 cords a year for myself and others and have not found anything I can’t split. It has a Koehler engine.

I’ve got a 22ton also. My neighbor brought his nephews 37 over and the Speeco 22 out split it hands down. When I was a kid in the early eighty’s I bought a Bliss commercial splitter. It was 3 point with its own pump, took a recommended 40 HP to run it, and would snip a 12” Oak limb off like a tooth pick. So, I’ve run commercial splitters, and this 22 ton Speeco does every thing I ask of it. Only thing I do now that’s a little unconventional is since I split on a flat paved surface, I bought an eight foot motorcycle lift as a staging table. It will lay flat so you can roll big rounds on it, then pump it up to deck height and split away. I paid 999 for mine and noe they are down to 899 or less. So, if you went with one of the 22’s, you would have plenty left for the staging table. It was 299 at Harbor Freight.

I have a 40 ton tsc splitter. It is just over a year old, and is on its second hyd. Pump. Also second control valve. Told them when i took it in to be repaired that hyd. Oil would get so hot that water will sizzle when put on cylinder. This is on a 20 degree day , after splitting half facecord. Pump drive coupler is steel to steel ,This makes noise if i don't keep oil on it. Don't buy it with plan of putting a four way wedge on it, it will bend wedge slide. Then after time ,will shear bolt of that connects wedge to cylinder bolt. Bad costomer service when i took it in no one could tell me what was done about the oil getting to hot. Nothing because it is still the same. Took them 5 weeks to fix this. I sell wood on the side, really needed this working at the time. So i dug out my old splitter . For 40 ton splitter this is a joke. About the only thing i like is the fast cycle time. But i only split 2 face cords then , stop because oil is to hot. I am not at all happy with this machine. I think hyd. Filter is to small for the 25 gpm this thing puts out. Motor bogs down when cylinder retracts. I have noticed that the 25 ton uses the same part # filter as the 40 ton, go figure. I guess i will have to send it in so , as the wedge bolt hole is ripping out. And bolt hole in cylinder is not good also. I think i will sell it after it is fixed. Because i cannot use 4 way with out damage to this unit. And all the gas ,and hot oil. I would be better off just useing my old splitter . I have more to say , but am tired of typing.

I'd get a Supersplit. If I were to be stuck on a hydraulic, I'd probably get this.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-40-ton-log-splitter

definitely a nice splitter. the H and V capability for any splitter is a great feature. I do like the Honda engines on small tools, however... this unit uses the Kohler engine. I have a 25 hp Kohler on my XMark 60" -0- turn. over the past 20+ years it has proven to be a very powerful, reliable workhorse. in general, all I have had to do to it is change the oil, very easy to do, keep the air cleaners clean, change now n then. and plugs. shouldn't have any issues with 40T splitting power.

I would be more concerned with cycle time vs tonnage. I run a lot through my old 22 ton.

given its not like molasses in winter... I would want tonnage! cost issues aside. I keep my I-beam, ram plate etc always lubed when splitting. fast enough attention to hands, etc is very important... carelessness and splitting are not hand-in-hand companions. safety first.

interesting point of view. I have not V split before. but seems to me a heavy chunk could be easily managed. the dual plane splitters I have taken a look at appear to go V and H easily. I also like the PTO version NT sells. of course, one needs a tractor. but is in the $800 range. imo, well engineered and built.

No, it's not stupid. I don't want the extra weight and size of a lift since I tow my splitter thru the woods right to where the rounds landed when cut off the tree. Pretty easy to tip the beam up and flop the round over onto the foot. Get enough small enough to lift decently easy then go horizontal again. Maybe if my splitter was parked in a yard and had all the wood brought to it I would consider a lift. Different strokes for different situations does not make one of them stupid.

you are right, NSM!...

IMO all the splitters in your price range are pretty much the same. They are built to a price point. Luckily they seem to be pretty well sorted out and reliable from what I have seen.

You didn’t mention how much use it would see in a year. Unless you are using it commercially, which you said you’re not, you’ll probably never wear out any engine so paying a lot more for a commercial Honda engine is overkill.

As far as parts availability, most splitters are off the shelf hydraulic parts and engines so I wouldn’t worry too much about that. They are simple machines. Engine, pump, valve, cylinder, hoses, and frame. Other than the frame it’s unlikely that any other parts are proprietary.

I have a 22ton speeco about ten years old. It has split anything and everything 10-15 cords a year with not problem one. I have used it side by side with a 37ton splitter and I prefer the 22. The 22 ton is faster in the first stage but slower in the second but most of the cycle is in the first stage. The 22ton is easier to maneuver too. I can move the 22 ton like a wheelbarrow, not so much with the 37. It was the first time I bought a tool that wasn’t the heavy duty version and I still am happy with my choice.

I chose the speeco because I could pick it up locally, price, and at the time they had demonstrated good customer service. Today I would probably choose a DHT based on the same criteria.

I was just thinking, ease of acquisition would influence me it I was buying a new one today. both of my splitters are working like brand new.

Agree on tonnage. I have a 22 ton Countyline, do 15-18 cords a year for myself and others and have not found anything I can’t split. It has a Koehler engine.

in nearly 40 years of splitting... me, too! well... let's me be a bit more honest... prob 4 or 5 chunks in 40 yrs I couldn't split with my 15T unit. I only split oak or pecan. there have been some that wanted to stall... but, my solution is simple. I paint the split point on the wood and the wedge couple inches back from the point with 80-wgt gear oil. wakes everybody up for the party! what din't, then goes on thru with ease. ease.!

Latest posts

Back