firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my new toy...umm I mean firewood tractor :)
QPqC2rgl.jpg
best of luck with your new toy er I mean workhorse

This is a 2013 Kubota L3200, purchased as a left over so no Final Tier IV emissions. R4 Industrial tires, rears are filled. We have a 5cu ft ballast box filled with granite and some chains, total weight probably 7-800 lbs. Ofa Eko8 chains on back, some ATV studded diamond chains on the front. Soil is sandy so we harvest a lot of leaners. We have an LED spot/flood mounted with rare earth magnets so we can move it around: above ROPS plowing, below in woods, reversed for backing up.
2018122515125715-IMG_3772-L.jpg

This tractor had SSQD. Don’t have a grapple but pallet forks are really useful.

2019032719300121-IMG_4191-L.jpg

This is a 2013 Kubota L3200, purchased as a left over so no Final Tier IV emissions. R4 Industrial tires, rears are filled. We have a 5cu ft ballast box filled with granite and some chains, total weight probably 7-800 lbs. Ofa Eko8 chains on back, some ATV studded diamond chains on the front. Soil is sandy so we harvest a lot of leaners. We have an LED spot/flood mounted with rare earth magnets so we can move it around: above ROPS plowing, below in woods, reversed for backing up.
2018122515125715-IMG_3772-L.jpg

This tractor had SSQD. Don’t have a grapple but pallet forks are really useful.

2019032719300121-IMG_4191-L.jpg
That’s some pretty deep snow...mine wouldn’t have made it 15 feet. It’s nice being able to work in those conditions!

I had my little Deere in the woods today. Worked fine except the 1 1/2 hours it took to crank it and keep it running. Fuel must have gelled in the low temperatures. Ran the battery down trying to restart it after it quickly ran through the flowing fuel. Ron

View attachment 725196

I recognize that tractor and those chainsaws lol

That’s some pretty deep snow...mine wouldn’t have made it 15 feet. It’s nice being able to work in those condition's

I have seen more tire chains on farm tractors and skid loaders around here this winter than in probably twenty years. We got a layer of ice down and then it snowed and keep snowing and you could get any traction to push the snow. I didn't even have any chains for the 2011 Bobcat I bought new. My chains went with the old skid loader when I sold it . Finally got some old semi truck chains out and cut them down and made a set for the Bobcat. I sold both sets of 18.4x38 tractor chains I had setting in the shed that I hadn't used in years. It was a winter we will remember cold and lots of snow.

Help me out here! I could have you mixed up with someone else but isn’t that your 3rd tractor in the past year? Not sure if it’s you or someone else. Either way...nice tractor!
Yes, actually it's my fourth tractor....LOL
I bought and sold a few to work my way towards a new one.
Ford 3000, Kubota 1550 for a week, Kubota L2850 that I just sold
I actually bought a 2007 Massey 1540 4 years ago with low hours that I sold also.
There's money to be made in used tractors if you are patient, buy bargains, list for sale, get to use it while it's for sale=profit :) and fun :)

Most of you probably remember I was working on my log hauling running gear, that I over loaded with logs and tore one corner nearly off. Here's a pict. after we had it pulled/bent quite a ways back up, it was laying almost flat, when we got started!

standard.jpg

My wife added heat, as I pulled with the come-along... Once I had it at the shop, I "bent" it back into alinement and did some welding,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I bought some 3x3-1/4" angle and reinforced the whole back end, as this gear is getting pretty old!

standard.jpg

I also used some steel I had lying around, and welded it in where I couldn't use bolts,

standard.jpg

Rather than spend several days removing both reaches to straighten them, I just pulled them straight as best I could with a come-along, and bolted angle along side them for reinforcement,

standard.jpg

Here's the two drills I used, the half in Dewalt "brushless" for the pilot hole, and the Milwaukee for the half inch hole.

standard.jpg

After owning a "brushless" Dewalt, I will NEVER go back to a brush drill ever! The brushless are MUCH lighter, have more power and the batts last longer!! BTW, IF, you aren't using "Tap Magic" when you are drilling or tapping holes, you are working waaaay too hard!!

Anyway, here's the last two pieces, ready to bolt on!

standard.jpg

and then, I thought I'd go get a couple hard maple logs, I left out in the woods to "spalt",

standard.jpg

And with a piece of maple "firewood" on top, I headed home,

standard.jpg

On the way, I had two does trying to lead me away, so I went really slow and looked for what I knew, I must have been very close to, and here's what I found,

standard.jpg

It wasn't much bigger than a cocker spaniel, I only saw the one and not to bother them, I took a couple picts., and went on my way...

At some point, I'll build cross bunks with pockets in them, but that's a job for another time!

SR

Nice work on the wagon running gear.

A pair of does trying to lead you away? Here the does split up from their family groups and don't seem to get back together till about mid July when they show off their babies to the other does.

Mowing the front lawn the other day I was whizing by a flower bed of Kare's she has gotten a bit behind on. Some thing didn't look right.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Kare informed me she wasn't going to do much with that flower bed because of the milk weed for the Monarks.

:D Al

A pair of does trying to lead you away? Here the does split up from their family groups and don't seem to get back together till about mid July when they show off their babies to the other does.
I think she had dropped that fawn just hours before I got there... Last spring, I was driving by a doe that was dropping a fawn as I drove by, I just drove by slow and didn't even stop...

After they get them dry, a short time later they leave the fawns so as to not draw attention to them, as the newborns have no scent. Only coming back to feed them until the fawns get bigger...

SR

OK, it's time to take the next step in cutting/removing tree's...

I'm waaaay past tired of what it leaves behind, like this one along the lane between my fields! AND has already been hit at least once with a haybine!
orig.gif

standard.jpg

I could dig it out, or push it out with a dozer, but that just makes too much of a mess, so it's time for me to deal with them in the next best way! ROADTRIP!!!

standard.jpg

Here it is with the box off, as I unloaded it,

standard.jpg

These teeth look like they will get something done!

standard.jpg

The road trip caused me to get a little behind on my work, when I get caught up, I'll put it on my tractor and see how it does...
orig.gif

SR

Mount on the 3 point and run straight off the PTO, shear pins I suppose?

How can you get any work done with all the *)^)*()_*RR$(*^% rain we have had?

It is making some nice hay though, If you can get in the field and cut it and some how dry it to bail.
So wet suppose it will get chopped and put in a silo.

Mount on the 3 point and run straight off the PTO, shear pins I suppose?
Yup, full power right off the pto, no belts, chains or gear box...

If you over load it, the cutter can pivot up out of the cut some, to lighten the load, also the drive line is protected by a drive line slip clutch. There's no shear pins to replace...

SR

Lady that hired me to do some land scapeing hired a guy to come in with a trailer mounted stump grinder. It sure did make quick work of the stumps. But it threw/broke off some of the teeth, told me they each cost a couple hundred dollars if I remember right.

I've Just been cutting grooves in the stumps I need gone and fill with salt. The deer do the rest eatting on the stump and it also rotting away from the moisture.

Some breakage is old wore out teeth and others is operator error, or unseen trash/rocks in the ground...

6 replacement teeth are just under $100.00, hit rocks or get over aggressive and you can break teeth...

At least they are very easy to replace...
orig.gif

SR

Back