No regrets hot saw direction

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summitlt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've read a few posts on porting, generally on bigger name brand saws I know how it works from other Powersports and wanted to be play a little. I've got an Ms460 that I cut with but also have a free junk old Craftsman. I was going to Port it for a trial and error project. Any tips for a saw in not going to change the carb on or spend a dime on? Thought about cleaning everything up, taking some material for Port timing and taking a belt sander to the cylinder. Any other tops to make something it isn't, be even if it only lasts a minute.

You're gonna need some nitrous:chainsaw::lol:.
Just do lots of reading, you'll figure out the basics soon enough.
Google search "ported ms460 arboristsite" and see what you find.
Easy things, mod the muffler, advance timing a little.
Do videos with off the roll chain so you can see what mods work/give the most gains.
Welcome to the forum.
Brett

Porting homeowner saws has limited results.

@chipper1 has it right. Start with a muffler mod. Then try a timing advance. If you want to make changes to the cylinder I would recommend conservative widening of exhaust and intake, but no timing changes. Most homeowner saws don’t have enough hidden power to gain with raising the exhaust or lowering intake. You’re probably working on a clamshell saw, so changing squish may not be easily achieved either.

But even just a muffler mod on your Craftsman will probably get you hooked.

Porting is better done on a pro model with a fully adjustable carb and a cylinder base gasket. Maybe find a cheap pro saw (like a stihl 026, or jred 630) and work it over before grinding on your 460.

If I had a craftsman saw I’d port it. Raise the exhaust port, lower the intake port, advance the timing, mod the muffler. Learn and practice on the craftsman.

After seeing the porting job that the husky rep did on a 2100 I copied it in my husky dirtbike engines making little changes more and more on each bike. Seeing the changes on each bike I took the next bike and did all the changes on one engine. This was the bike that no one could pass in the straights. I learned as I went with two strokes. I was porting drag race engines long before two strokes.

Heck I even ported my Briggs 8 hp log splitter engine. One day while splitting the blue oil fog fumigated the area. I took the engine apart and found all the ring gaps lined up thus burning oil. I decarbonized the engine, ported it and lapped the valves. The engine looked like new. I put in new chrome rings, crank seal, rear gasket, head gasket. I purchased a new b&s 8 hp engine with a aluminum cylinder the cheapest engine b&s made. The dealer said it won’t last a year on a log splitter. It lasted over 25+ years for me and still running for the guy I sold it too. I always put my left over two stroke mix in it.

Back