Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask the Dealer if they preformed a Engine check list. And if it passed. It’s a check list stihl wants them to do before they call tech for a problem or warranty for engine related warranty.
I hate the dealer won’t dig into the problem. Everyone I know with a new 362 20” loves it.
If your really leaning towards taking it back then run it just enough to make your decision and be able to say you gave it another try.

I think a lot of dealers lacks that “go to guy”. You know the old guy in the corner that can pull the saw a few times and know what to look for.

If they suspect a fuel problem, plug it up to m-tronic software and see what the graph looks like.
If they suspect a cylinder or piston, do a pressure and vacc test “ look at the piston while muffler off”.
And a cylinder blow-by test. Then pull the jug if something doesn’t look right. If the compression is truly 110 then somethings wrong. I’ll make a couple calls tomorrow. You may have to Remind me lol.

OP, you need to march right into the dealer where you bought the saw, speak to the owner, not the desk flunky or the “tech” (tech is a word that describes someone who is not a mechanic, imo).

Put your big-boy pants on and go find out who you can talk to above the dealer.

Your saw is weak. It shouldn’t be.

You describe it as dangerous while falling. I believe you.

You remind me of my youngest son: asks for advice and then doesn’t take it. Over and over...

OP, you need to march right into the dealer where you bought the saw, speak to the owner, not the desk flunky or the “tech” (tech is a word that describes someone who is not a mechanic, imo).

You remind me of my youngest son: asks for advice and then doesn’t take it. Over and over...

Couldn’t agree more. A squeaky wheel gets greased!

You don’t have to go in being an ******* but go in being stern and headstrong for answers. They already won’t help you so what do you have to lose? It’s not like you’re burning a significant bridge if it ends in you telling them to G.F.Y.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm going see how it runs myself a bit more and if it's not up to what I want I'm going try and take it back...not sure I want another Stilh if the warranty no good. But I'm thinking I want my money back seriously. I pretty much liked Stihl I have 3 Stilh plus this one. But I ran my husky 353 the other day clearing some road blocks and it runs pretty good...maybe that's the future for me if I can't get any support or Stihl warranty is any good. I actually haven't contacted Stihl myself so I can't say their warranty isn't any good. But 2 of the 3 dealer in the area are both saying that just how this design is suppose to run. If you ask me falling with this saw is dangerous. I won't get chance to run this saw until next week. I need pick up some fuel save the receipt so that can blame me for running bad fuel. But I'm seriously not happy in good conscience I can't sell the saw, but I can trade it in worse case I guess argue the shops point that the saw is fine but not for me it's not. Thanks guys for all the support lot of you have gone out of your way to help
dont trade it in to the jerks that wont help you so they can profit on their lies! I wish you would pull that muffler and see if there is damage!

dont trade it in to the jerks that wont help you so they can profit on their lies! I wish you would pull that muffler and see if there is damage!

He would trade it for what he paid. Not at a discounted price. At least I hope they wouldn’t pull that

People will and can bring back a unit that they didn’t like or found out it was to small for there job.
In the OP’s case his is warranted.
The dealer doesn’t like doing it or even mentions it. I can’t find the info I was looking for but this is how the registration is voided. Or can be done online.
9de0203eda0c3449bd0b8a73724d9e45.jpg

I agree with lone wolf, pull the muffler and check the rings, then pull spark plug and check squish. Thats what the dealer should have done and you shouldn't have to, but it would be nice to know, we are all very curious about it. If the squish is just very big like 0.040 or more you can base gasket delete without any cutting and make sure the rings are free. If the saw idles and four strokes fine doesn't sound like a fuel delivery issue, but a mechanical one.

Not sure about these new saws, i was using my 462 yesterday and it was not accelerating good until a couple minutes of working the throttle, then later cutting stumps the thing was smoking hot, i mean you could boil an egg in 5 sec on the muffler, then it didn't start easy after that. i am running 40:1 with Echo Red Guard 2-cycle oil, i don't think the saw would last long without a very good quality oil. It also has the newer spark plug that is smaller so i cant use my usual piston stop tool and my extra NGF BPMR7a. other than that i love the rest of the saw.

People will and can bring back a unit that they didn’t like or found out it was to small for there job.
In the OP’s case his is warranted.
The dealer doesn’t like doing it or even mentions it. I can’t find the info I was looking for but this is how the registration is voided. Or can be done online.
9de0203eda0c3449bd0b8a73724d9e45.jpg
They dont put a time limit on there I wonder what the time limit is?

I agree with lone wolf, pull the muffler and check the rings, then pull spark plug and check squish. Thats what the dealer should have done and you shouldn't have to, but it would be nice to know, we are all very curious about it. If the squish is just very big like 0.040 or more you can base gasket delete without any cutting and make sure the rings are free. If the saw idles and four strokes fine doesn't sound like a fuel delivery issue, but a mechanical one.

Not sure about these new saws, i was using my 462 yesterday and it was not accelerating good until a couple minutes of working the throttle, then later cutting stumps the thing was smoking hot, i mean you could boil an egg in 5 sec on the muffler, then it didn't start easy after that. i am running 40:1 with Echo Red Guard 2-cycle oil, i don't think the saw would last long without a very good quality oil. It also has the newer spark plug that is smaller so i cant use my usual piston stop tool and my extra NGF BPMR7a. other than that i love the rest of the saw.
Dont let it get that hot! Thats why I carry a bunch of saws!

Not sure. I’ve personally seen less than 2 weeks and a rare case of a month but you can tell it was barley used.
And nothing bigger than a 261 or FS56.
They seem to be really screwin him over! Bunch of BS they should have dug in to it and looked! How do you say nothing wrong if you dont look! I had a 200T a week ago with 160 compression and a scored piston but I looked anyway and that revealed it!

Does it look like there's a big gap between the piston and cylinder, in the top picture, right between the two ports?

Course ya still can't see if it's got any rings on it.
I took several pictures and thought I posted both side of the exhaust port but guess I hosed that up. The camera has a built in lite and it leaves shadows, I thought the same thing. But I think its shadow from looking at the other pictures. I used my phone the camera is wifi and the picture format is not something easy to find the files to transfer. So I had hard time getting the files to loaded to post.

The shop I bought it from is son dad business and I did talk to both of them...they are the once that ran the 1st compression test and ran my saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back