RPM effects on bar life

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamT1

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys think faster RpM saws eat bars?
I’m still haveing bar life issues cutting mesquite. The most reasonable excuse I’ve found is the blowing sand that gets trapped in it.

One thing I’ve noticed is my craftsman 3.7 that’s a fairly low RPM saw seems to run a bar for a whole lot longer, like 2X. It doesn’t throw any more oil than other saws judging by the sling off. The one thing that’s not consistent with it is I’ve not yet had to buy a modern bar for it I’ve been able to find old stock bars for it from the 80’s and early 90’s. As well as what’s come on some parts saws.

I like slow saws more than most.
Seems like a reasonable assumption that a slower saw would be easier on bars than a super fast one.

And a high quaility bar and chain lubricant. Bargain brands are worthless.
If your chain like is OK, as in holding its edge, it could be a lubricant problem.
All bar oils aren’t the same.

And a high quaility bar and chain lubricant. Bargain brands are worthless.
If your chain like is OK, as in holding its edge, it could be a lubricant problem.
All bar oils aren’t the same.
I run stihl oil. Yes I’ve had even more serious issues running cheap stuff. Quaker state used to be my favorite but I can’t find it anymore.

If bar wear is the problem with blowing sand. My thoughts are try a cheaper bar/ chain from huztl. You could try a lighter wt bar oil. Try a motor oil or used motor oil that’s not so tacky. Just for ha’s, ha’s speed the chain up so it expels the sand. It’s time to test different setups.

Mesquite any chance is it for a bbq? I’ll be right down there? Wild bores?

Oh yes, chains too tight or too dull play a big factor.

I found out yesterday I can’t adjust the chains on my Stihl saw the way I adjust the chains on my huskys. The difference I can see is the Stihl has a sprocket while the husky has a rim. My point your right the chain is too tight.

If bar wear is the problem with blowing sand. My thoughts are try a cheaper bar/ chain from huztl. You could try a lighter wt bar oil. Try a motor oil or used motor oil that’s not so tacky. Just for ha’s, ha’s speed the chain up so it expels the sand. It’s time to test different setups.

Mesquite any chance is it for a bbq? I’ll be right down there? Wild bores?
Used motor oil :crazy2:.

Mix bar oil with kerosene maybe it will attract sand less.

Never thought about the sand that might be in saltwater drift wood. My dad always told me it burns different colors.

Back