What kind of Oak is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
"Another one of these threads"
tongue.gif

Definitely an oak at my moms house. About 60 yrs old. No before pic or of a leaf. Sorry.
Got a little wet from the rain.

Had a straight trunk but not a wide or pyramid type canopy.

Suburb of NYC near the water.

LLZfZG1h.jpg

ReIBRCzh.jpg

IHKeyZzh.jpg

2omlg7jh.jpg

A agree on pin oak which as mentioned before is a member of the red oak family. They have the smoother bark like in the pictures. The limbs are springy, strong, and sharp. In my yard I call them a-hole trees because they always seem to snag, scratch, and snatch things like hats, earmuffs, and glasses off your head and throw them under the mower. As the pin oaks mature the lower branches droop and eventuall die off.

Oaks are broken down into either red or white with red oaks having pointed leaf lobes and white oaks having rounded leaf lobes. Beyond that there are many different varieties of red and white oak trees.

Some of the common reds are pin, northern, southern, scarlet and black

Common whites are post, burr, eastern and chestnut. Clear as mud right?

Thanks guys. No leaf pics sorry. Was just taken. Down and too lazy to find a pic from past.

I was leaning on Pin oak as well but because it was like 50 feet tall I didnt see a pyramid shape.

Thanks guys. No leaf pics sorry. Was just taken. Down and too lazy to find a pic from past.

I was leaning on Pin oak as well but because it was like 50 feet tall I didnt see a pyramid shape.
There were some dried up pointy leaves on the ground that had me on the Pin Oak band wagon.

tongue.gif

Definitely an oak at my moms house. About 60 yrs old. No before pic or of a leaf. Sorry.

LLZfZG1h.jpg

ReIBRCzh.jpg

IHKeyZzh.jpg

2omlg7jh.jpg
tongue.gif

LLZfZG1h.jpg

ReIBRCzh.jpg

IHKeyZzh.jpg

2omlg7jh.jpg
Nice looking tree.
I'd say it's a Northern Red Oak.
The leaf will look similar to the Pin but fatter and similar to the Red that SawerRob posted but narrower.
We have lots of that around me just a bit north west of you here. I've cut plenty and it's great firewood, prvided you season it well for 2-4 years.
Red Oak _Pin Oak_Leaves.jpg

I made a handrail for our home inside entrance using Pin Oak. Hardest oak I've ever used. Very difficult to saw.
I made a stair handrail too from Northern Red Oak.
The stuff is HARD.
Turned out really nice but had lots of sanding and pre-drilling holes just right so it wouldn't split.
It was a heavy piece and started out 12' long.
P_20180508_131854.jpg P_20180508_132205.jpg

Back