Which log splitter for under $2K?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a 22ton also. My neighbor brought his nephews 37 over and the Speeco 22 out split it hands down. When I was a kid in the early eighty’s I bought a Bliss commercial splitter. It was 3 point with its own pump, took a recommended 40 HP to run it, and would snip a 12” Oak limb off like a tooth pick. So, I’ve run commercial splitters, and this 22 ton Speeco does every thing I ask of it. Only thing I do now that’s a little unconventional is since I split on a flat paved surface, I bought an eight foot motorcycle lift as a staging table. It will lay flat so you can roll big rounds on it, then pump it up to deck height and split away. I paid 999 for mine and noe they are down to 899 or less. So, if you went with one of the 22’s, you would have plenty left for the staging table. It was 299 at Harbor Freight.

I like lifts! but don't have one. for chunks too big to lift, or for help to lift we get out my alum ramps. rolls right on up to the beam. piece a cake! slow, but even as a very active residential splitter, I don't need 10 cords a year. the ramps will take up to 1250 # together. I have yet to see a 1250# chunk I wanted to split!!! lol ;)

I have a 40 ton tsc splitter. It is just over a year old, and is on its second hyd. Pump. Also second control valve. Told them when i took it in to be repaired that hyd. Oil would get so hot that water will sizzle when put on cylinder. This is on a 20 degree day , after splitting half facecord. Pump drive coupler is steel to steel ,This makes noise if i don't keep oil on it. Don't buy it with plan of putting a four way wedge on it, it will bend wedge slide. Then after time ,will shear bolt of that connects wedge to cylinder bolt. Bad costomer service when i took it in no one could tell me what was done about the oil getting to hot. Nothing because it is still the same. Took them 5 weeks to fix this. I sell wood on the side, really needed this working at the time. So i dug out my old splitter . For 40 ton splitter this is a joke. About the only thing i like is the fast cycle time. But i only split 2 face cords then , stop because oil is to hot. I am not at all happy with this machine. I think hyd. Filter is to small for the 25 gpm this thing puts out. Motor bogs down when cylinder retracts. I have noticed that the 25 ton uses the same part # filter as the 40 ton, go figure. I guess i will have to send it in so , as the wedge bolt hole is ripping out. And bolt hole in cylinder is not good also. I think i will sell it after it is fixed. Because i cannot use 4 way with out damage to this unit. And all the gas ,and hot oil. I would be better off just useing my old splitter . I have more to say , but am tired of typing.

dang! sounds like a nightmare! what a pi**er! mine will get very warm in summer splitting. I always cycle the ram per the OM at least 10 times in warm weather and 20-25 in cold weather before putting a load to it. I also do the same with my tractor's bucket hydraulics, too.

bogging. never have heard anyone say that about their splitter before. o_O

dang! sounds like a nightmare! what a pi**er! mine will get very warm in summer splitting. I always cycle the ram per the OM at least 10 times in warm weather and 20-25 in cold weather before putting a load to it. I also do the same with my tractor's bucket hydraulics, too.

Just to clear up what i am trying to say,on the return of thr wedge engine will pull down . Seems like it builds up pressure in the return line , and or filter. I think it needs a higher rated gpm filter setup. Which in turn should help it run cooler, the hyd. Oil. And hopefully use less gas. I have been thinking of bypassing the filter, with the return line as a test only to see. That 14 hp engine should not pulldown at that point. Plus on the return stroke of cylinder is when the gpm 's are the highest. No way could i use this on a summer day. The old pump went to leaking, real bad, i think the super hot oil took out seal in the pump. I put on a new filter but no change, on hot oil. Also tsc put on the new pump, but did not change filter or oil. They should have at lessed put on a new filter. Also i got this unit back from being repaired , it would barely run. Had have choke on part way. I took carb. Apart found a speck of something in main jet. It has no fuel filter i am going to install one. Sorry for this long text. Just disappointed with this machine. All this and i have been a mechanic for 31 years.

whatever splitter is equivalent to my circa 2000 tractor supply huskee that is STILL GOING on the original components (literally have never had to replace a thing aside from routine maintenance) after 19 years and hundreds of cords split. Sure it might not be the fastest or fanciest, but it keeps splitting year after year.

Back in 2000 it cost $950 with tax, so I'm guessing around $1300 with 19 years of inflation?

Check out used machines on CraigsList.
Fast changing world.
People want to sell and go bigger,; maybe got a splitters as gift from the little woman because she wanted a weekend fire; people buy things they don't need or use, just to have for a little while; people move due to work or down sizing; we get old and migrate; illness, and ashes to ashes...
What ever the reason, there are some good machines out there.
Which means saving some money or buying an upgraded unit within the same budget.
I bought this one used and used it every year for thirty plus years. IMG_0502.jpg

I've never heard of such a thing before and I worked on heavy equipment for a number of years.

whatever splitter is equivalent to my circa 2000 tractor supply huskee that is STILL GOING on the original components (literally have never had to replace a thing aside from routine maintenance) after 19 years and hundreds of cords split. Sure it might not be the fastest or fanciest, but it keeps splitting year after year.

Back in 2000 it cost $950 with tax, so I'm guessing around $1300 with 19 years of inflation?
My TSC Huskee was $999, about 10 years ago. They went down to $899 for a while. Then changed the name to County Line, changed color but still look about the same.

Here's a pic of my Harbor Freight feed table. It will go flat to the ground to roll big round on, or pump it up to load off the trailer, then pump it up to the beam height.
qiCeQ9h.jpg

mDmlZ8g.jpg

I agree with Sandhill Crane the next six months is a great time to pickup up low hour splitters. You have to do some looking but they are always folks getting new splitters, people passing away, people stop cutting wood, people moving and can't take splitter, people in need of money and sometime deals had be had at dealers during the summer on a left over model. I have pickup a lot of splitters and snow blowers in the summer and resold them in the winter for profit threw the years.

Pretty easy to tip the beam up and flop the round over onto the foot. Get enough small enough to lift decently easy then go horizontal again.
This just shows that you haven't ran a vertical splitter much. I won't repeat how stupid the design is but I will refer you to a review I did several years ago so you can understand why what you said above just is not true.
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/iron-oak-34-ton.234107/
That Iron and Oak is the splitter that completely turned me against vertical splitters. I vowed to never let someone make the mistake of buying one again.

This just shows that you haven't ran a vertical splitter much. I won't repeat how stupid the design is but I will refer you to a review I did several years ago so you can understand why what you said above just is not true.
That Iron and Oak is the splitter that completely turned me against vertical splitters. I vowed to never let someone make the mistake of buying one again.

I haven't run one of those I&Os you posted about, no, but I've run mine vertical lots. Never experienced the issues you were talking about. You did say there you have a bias against vertical - it is showing. Your bad experience doesn't negate the good experiences of others.

I don't remember how I worded the thread, but I did a survey on how many folks used their splitters V versus H. Wasn't even close. A few said they did V to bust big rounds then went back to H. I think it was running about 13% V right up till the last day and a couple more V's jump on board and ran it up to about 20%.

I don't remember how I worded the thread, but I did a survey on how many folks used their splitters V versus H. Wasn't even close. A few said they did V to bust big rounds then went back to H. I think it was running about 13% V right up till the last day and a couple more V's jump on board and ran it up to about 20%.

I do that - vertical just to bust into manageable sizes.

For a commercial machine the only way to go is horizontal only with a log lift, wedge on beam.

For a homeowner it’s nice to have the option to split horizontally or vertically even if you primarily use it horizontally. Sure it’s not ideal ergonomics but you have the option to deal with big rounds on the ground if you don’t like to noodle or have a fancy lift table.

Just to clear up what i am trying to say,on the return of thr wedge engine will pull down . Seems like it builds up pressure in the return line , and or filter. I think it needs a higher rated gpm filter setup. Which in turn should help it run cooler, the hyd. Oil. And hopefully use less gas. I have been thinking of bypassing the filter, with the return line as a test only to see. That 14 hp engine should not pulldown at that point. Plus on the return stroke of cylinder is when the gpm 's are the highest. No way could i use this on a summer day. The old pump went to leaking, real bad, i think the super hot oil took out seal in the pump. I put on a new filter but no change, on hot oil. Also tsc put on the new pump, but did not change filter or oil. They should have at lessed put on a new filter. Also i got this unit back from being repaired , it would barely run. Had have choke on part way. I took carb. Apart found a speck of something in main jet. It has no fuel filter i am going to install one. Sorry for this long text. Just disappointed with this machine. All this and i have been a mechanic for 31 years.

You could add a dump valve for the return stroke.

This just shows that you haven't ran a vertical splitter much. I won't repeat how stupid the design is but I will refer you to a review I did several years ago so you can understand why what you said above just is not true.I've said it on here before but I'll say it again.I have 2 splitters,one straight horiz. and one V/H.If one goes down the road it'll be the straight horiz.

Latest posts

Back