hauling wood with garden tractor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garden tractors are more than capable of hauling wood. Before I got my Ford and my Kioti, I used exclusively garden tractors. Hauled dozens and dozens of cords of fresh cut hardwoods. Some of the loads were up to 2500#. Tons of pictures, but I've posted them before in numerous threads already.

Thing to remember is a garden tractor is a lot different than a lawn tractor. Big bolt on rear tires, huge axle (usually with 2 ranges), heavy duty frame as thick as a pickup truck, steel and cast iron throughout, 800+ lbs dry. Meant for year round work.

My 9020 Simplicity Powermax for example weighs 1480 lbs without any additional ballasting, has 20 x 8 x 10 front tires, and 29 x 12 x 15 rear tires (could be outfitted with OEM 31 x 15.5 x 15 high floatation rears as well. Has 3 ranges. Just an absolute monster of a garden tractor. 60" deck, 3 point hitch, rear pto, standard front hydraulic ports, 15" ground clearance, about 7' long and 4' wide with a 56" wheelbase.

If my 700 lb dry Sears SS14 with a single cylinder 14 hp Briggs will pull 2000+ lbs in a trailer, I can't venture to guess what the Powermax would pull. Allllottttt.

I didn't say that is what he needed.. once again someone ASS-U-ME ing. I can't imagine a yard tractor can pull much of a log.
Well a yard tractor No. A garden tractor yes it can you would be varry surprised. A buddy of mine was over yesterday as I was outside splitting fire wood and said Holly **** haw did you get these logs over here, I pointed and said the tractor he said no you didn't. I hoped on to the tractor and backed up to the 25foot 18inc diameter log put the skidding tongs on it and took off pulled it up the hill around the house and came back. He said yea your not shiten that thing isn't playing around.

Back