LOOKING FOR PICS OF TRAILER MOUNTED CRANES

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've ran all these thoughts throug my head at one point or another. I've thought about a small crane, a folding log loader, winches ect. Haven't found anything that will be able to do everything without sacrifice in one way or another. Good luck.

I think this was in another thread on here somewhere...
http://gorillabac.com/our-products/
Looks flimsy but if its on the internet it has to be real.. :innocent:
I have seen those before. One on steriods is really what I am wanting to build. I already have a small boom with winch on my splitter and can lift rounds with it. I have a 20ft long control cord so I just walk over to the big round, hook up, and walk back to the machine while winching up the round. Beats the heck out of trying to roll a heavy log to the machine and trying to put it on a lift. I would also like to have a lift, but would use it to stage rounds on the splitter more than lifting. as soon as I get my trailer boom made, my splitter is going to be getting a face lift too. Might consider adding a lift.

This is what I am after, just a little smaller scale. Growing up, dad had one we used for pulpwood. 200ft 3/8 cable and enough power to drag whole trees up the side of the mountain. The loader in the picture is a bigstick brand. Later on dad bought a kennemer which was a similar design. I dont think either brand is still being made. Skidders and knuckle booms took their place. The nice thing about the cable loaders was if clearing a house site, you could park the truck in the middle of a lot and reach every tree on the place. Load all the wood on the truck and use the cable to pull the brush into one pile. Best thing was you could drive up to a lot and didnt need a lot of support equipment to get the wood out. Back in the 70's, I could make $600 a day clearing house sites. Maybe not a lot of money in todays dollars, but pretty good for a 16yrold back in the 70's.
Looks like the filters wont let the picture post. I will try and find another one
img_20161027_173910686_hdr-jpg.554337

Mud what is wrong with $600 a day. If you are only after one cord on your trailer. Just fabricate a type of a A frame over your trailer with winch. It should be easy to unbolt off of trailer. Run your winch dragging logs or rounds up into trailer then arrange them as needed. Thanks

Nice! did you buy or build
Half bought half built. Bought an engine crane, made the post mount and pivots. I take it off, when needed in the garage. Trailer needs to be fairly level, which I can usually back up onto a block if needed. Works well. Thanks!

That's a lot of beef on a single axle trailer. What is that trailer rated for?
I can see adding outriggers to that setup to make it much more stable as well. Wouldn't have to be an expensive hydraulic unit either as a receiver hitch on the side of the trailer with a welded together square tube foot that can be removed by pulling a pin would work.

That's a lot of beef on a single axle trailer. What is that trailer rated for?

I can see adding outriggers to that setup to make it much more stable as well. Wouldn't have to be an expensive hydraulic unit either as a receiver hitch on the side of the trailer with a welded together square tube foot that can be removed by pulling a pin would work.
Sure would help at times. For logs I simply load some small ones on the far side for counterweight before picking heavy ones. That mill weighs about 1600 lbs.. If you look at the far side of the trailer, towards the rear, I have 4 elevator weights as a counterbalance. I thought about stabilizers, but also thought about them being a trip hazard. It takes over 1000 lbs. to get the far side of the trailer light. For most jobs, it is fine without.

HF has their 12000lb winch on sale now for $299. I was going to go pick one up today and then read where they only offer a 90day warranty. I could tear my trailer in half with that big a winch anyways. I have decided to build the boom without a big winch and take my 3500lb winch off my gator until I really need something bigger. Got a little honey do project to finsish up and then too start drawing up plans

I fear Im beating a dead horse but for those of you that have seen my setup bear with me :D. Muddstopper this is what I done for my truck but since its removable it could be put on anything. I took a cheap engine hoist and welded a 3/8 plate and a piece of 3 1/2" tube to the bottom, added some gussets and a 2500lb cheapy winch and it will lift a big a piece as I want to fool with. I welded a socket of sorts into the bed of my truck so it will swivel about. You could do the same on a trailer, log splitter etc.100_2371.JPG truck cookie.png

Attachments

• 100_2893.JPG
    100_2893.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 17
I fear Im beating a dead horse but for those of you that have seen my setup bear with me :D. Muddstopper this is what I done for my truck but since its removable it could be put on anything. I took a cheap engine hoist and welded a 3/8 plate and a piece of 3 1/2" tube to the bottom, added some gussets and a 2500lb cheapy winch and it will lift a big a piece as I want to fool with. I welded a socket of sorts into the bed of my truck so it will swivel about. You could do the same on a trailer, log splitter etc.View attachment 727221 View attachment 727225
I agree, that is a good setup and I have considered that exact same thing. I dont intend to remove the boom from my trailer once its mounted and I need something a tad stronger. I want to winch 10ft logs up to and onto the trailer, not just rounds. My dump is home made with a little heavier frame than most of the factory ones. My electric hyd pump is off a piece of heavy equipment with a seperate hyd tank. I used a vickers d03 hyd solenoid valve. I intend to swap out the subplate and add a double solenoid setup to power the boom. Thats about $300. I saw a tripple setup for about the same money and might go that route and add hyd swing to the boom as well. If my pump was bigger, I would go with a hyd winch, but I wouldnt save any battery power since I would have to run the electric pump to power the winch. A 10ftx24in dia whiteoak weighs just over a ton and is about as big a log as I will try to load. Dragging a log up from below a road bank will take something larger than a 2500lb winch I think. I am still drawing plans in my head. I'll try to post a crude drawing once I settle on the design.

ms, I think a simple triangle of square tubing with a round center section would work fine and could follow to a new trailer. Here is a little sketch. I left the details and hard parts to you. My biggest concern with it mounted to swivel from trailer to truck is gravity swinging a load into the side of either once you lift it off the ground. Presumably you can figure out a way to control that. I took the liberty of showing a trailer with free tongue space. I am sure you can work around your pump and battery or tire if located on the tongue.

IMG_4227.JPG

If you are going to drag logs, you should reconsider a hydraulic winch. Surely you can scrounge up the parts to replace the electric pump with a small gas powered pump. You can drag logs all day long with a gas power hydraulic vs not much with an electric.

Ron

Latest posts

Back