STIHL 025 Oiling Too Much

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a gray hue around the bar studs (more around the front bar stud) is that a High spot caused by over tightening the cover nuts or an accident causing the bar to rock at the grayish patches and let the oil seek the path of least resistance ??? When you figure out your problem it would be nice good of you to post the results

OK guys, my saw is back to good again. I had an older blade on it. Today I tried a newer blade. Well, it did fine. Oiled good, traveled down the bar, and didn't sling off under the bar/sprocket cover. And it used up the right amount of oil. So I think the wide slot and the old blade was a bad combination. It was a real eye opener for me that it wasn't oiling too much, but just not getting carried down the bar. Thanks a ton for the help. I keep thinking my next smaller saw will be an MS261, but now that can wait.

Blade means "bar
OK guys, my saw is back to good again. I had an older blade on it. Today I tried a newer blade. Well, it did fine. Oiled good, traveled down the bar, and didn't sling off under the bar/sprocket cover. And it used up the right amount of oil. So I think the wide slot and the old blade was a bad combination. It was a real eye opener for me that it wasn't oiling too much, but just not getting carried down the bar. Thanks a ton for the help. I keep thinking my next smaller saw will be an MS261, but now that can wait.
Thanks for the rest of the story......
"

Good to hear you got it figured out Jim. BTW,welcome to AS.

He did say that there is a 1/4"area at the tail that is flared (also known as a lead in) . He also said that his bar has a .072" slot most of the way around . He also said that a newer chain eliminated the oil from slinging under the clutch cover . He also said that he was surprised that the saw used the proper amount of oil so he wont be buying a MS261 .

Harley he also said thanks a ton for the help .

Hey Jim
Welcome to the site. Great discussion! Glad you were able to get it worked out! I'm guessing the older chain (blade) you were using might have had some damage to the bottoms of the drive links that made them a bit short. This would prevent them from "grabbing" the oil as it comes out of the oil port into the bar groove. But I also think it is possible that you might have had a piece of dirt or debris get pinched between the bar and the saw frame near the oil port that held the bar away from the body thereby preventing the bar from "sealing" to the port. If that happens, oil will dribble everywhere and the chain will not get lubed properly either. That's why it is really important to clean the bar really well and clean the mount surface on the saw body before installing the bar so that the bar mates up to the mounting surface and seals to the oil port!

You may just might be mistaking the oil drooling down the side of the saw, as "over-oiling"....
Flip the bar, and take a pic. See if that slot is any better.
If a longer chain was put on or the existing chain stretched -more- adjusting the bar farther out would amplify the loose rail around the DLs and the back "DROOL" Is this a good place for a rail closer toolamcGadget?? and a shorter chain? New bar is best not cheaper just wAndering for anal lizing reasons

Latest posts

Back