Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally getting around to my log pile - separating by species. Here is a bunch of Ash:

mO8XVEj.jpg

xA0BWSD.jpg

zpTj1xr.jpg

I can finally see the oak I had buried!
7cl4rzs.jpg

I sawed this dead oak down mid-Winter with every intention of getting to it. But, it is on an inconvenient (steep) hillside down over from my driveway. So, I kind of avoided it till today.

(54 seconds of 8x speeded up guy hopping back and forth over log to avoid briars and large limb knots)

I hate to think of manhandling these up the hill (it isn't all that far, but every step has to be carefully chosen to keep from falling. As it is, two of the rounds went rogue and rolled down the hill probably too far for me to bother retrieving. Any Cross Fit'ers in the vicinity want a great work out?

I'll likely end up halving, or maybe even quartering these right here for the carry. After Action snapshot:

IMG_5366.jpg

I sawed this dead oak down mid-Winter with every intention of getting to it. But, it is on an inconvenient (steep) hillside down over from my driveway. So, I kind of avoided it till today.

(54 seconds of 8x speeded up guy hopping back and forth over log to avoid briars and large limb knots)

I hate to think of manhandling these up the hill (it isn't all that far, but every step has to be carefully chosen to keep from falling. As it is, two of the rounds went rogue and rolled down the hill probably too far for me to bother retrieving. Any Cross Fit'ers in the vicinity want a great work out?

I'll likely end up halving, or maybe even quartering these right here for the carry. After Action snapshot:

View attachment 727407

I know what you mean, its the story of my life living on a mountain. Would have nice if you could have dragged it up in a couple of pieces

I know what you mean, its the story of my life living on a mountain. Would have nice if you could have dragged it up in a couple of pieces

This is the 6th dead oak I have taken off this hill side. I was primarily removing them before the fell on their own and took out my utility lines. For the first several, I used my extreme low-tech hand crank winch on my log arch to slowly drag 8' sections up the hill. I had my son on the crank handle, and he has declared he wasn't coming home again till I had the last one done myself. I know an electric winch would have worked better, don't have one. Also a raised winch point would have helped too. But, here on my low budget operation, I like to not out-spend my revenue stream.

and even had some good help I see. Very nice
Lol

She helps out with running the burn barrels to knock down the perpetual brush pile, plus when it's good and hot it takes care of the stacks of bark that I accumulate. Splitting? Not so much. She's great at splitting kindling, though :)

was up at the farm Wednesday. there my woodpile, splitting area is often where ever it happens to be. this big oak is always dropping something. I plant to sculpt it some soon and some good limbs will come out. top out a couple of other tall oaks, too. should be plenty firewood. I culled out this from its base so I could mow that area, too... hauled the scab to the burn pile and hauled the oak to Houston and added it to my firewood. waste not, want not!

special wood, from a special place!
P9120007.JPG P9120009.JPG P9120011.JPG

P9120027.JPG P9120012.JPG

I think I’m finished adding to the pile, at least that’s what ima telling the wife!
29592ac3ca9fcf2efdc2bd281665955f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks good! am reading Norwegian Wood Chopping, Stacking... lots of neat wood piles stacks shown in the book!
zwb.jpg

Lol

She helps out with running the burn barrels to knock down the perpetual brush pile, plus when it's good and hot it takes care of the stacks of bark that I accumulate. Splitting? Not so much. She's great at splitting kindling, though :)

I liked the burn barrels working. I always like to have a fire going when gathering or splitting wood. heck, I even like a fire going when just having a :cheers: ! lol... kindling is important. I consider it to be one of the most important phases of a good fire. I use 3 types. pine needles first on the paper, then cedar and then small oak or pine twigs, etc. and I make plenty of... good fires, and often. temp outside don't matter to me. August and 98f? great day for a campfire...

'ok then, here's the paper wapsed, now where is the kindling?..."

:D

I think I’m finished adding to the pile, at least that’s what ima telling the wife!
29592ac3ca9fcf2efdc2bd281665955f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive read a little and watched some vids on building this type of wood stack system. Obviously you like them. Presently getting ready to stack some wood with limited space. Can you give me some tips please ?

4 cord of big leaf maple and 6.5 Douglas fir put up. Some of the northwest’s finest. We’ll get the top of the long stack covered with tarps tomorrow. The high center let’s the water roll off.

nice pix! enjoyed seeing it. I see u even have some kitchen wood, too. :)

Got almost a cord in apple on this pile. This apple I got yesterday had a lot of burl. I’m guessing it will take a couple years to season. Didn’t split much of it. The little 171 has been working great. It’s a little picky on being oil rich but that’s my only complaint. Chain stays sharp on it and tight. Hardley uses any oil. 2-1 for sure. I always put oil and gas at the same time tho. My 064 is 1–1 on gas/ bar oil seems like. View attachment 726610View attachment 726612 View attachment 726611View attachment 726613
Sipping oil on the bar and chain is not a good thing. Your big saw is where it should be. I have saws that my Dad bought back in the 70's and went through 20 years of commercial use and then I've been pounding on them ever since, with the original bars. Flip the saw upside down, there should be an adjustment screw for the oiler, open it up all the way. You don't need the newest, bestest, bar oil. Back in the day we used the cheapest 10W30. Most people think of the bar oil as just a lubricant, it also carries heat of the bar. The oil flying off the end of the bar is cooling the bar by taking heat with it. You can never have too much oil on the bar.

Back