Low compression on my new Stihl MS362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why won't the OP back out 4 T-27 muffler screws and see what's going on? Driving 25miles is hard work, 4 screws takes a minute. Sometimes when dealing with foolish dealers you need to get amongst it and arm yourself with some facts.

Thanks everyone...here the deal I bought this saw in Feb of this year. I was nerves about the EPA so I wanted dynamic tach. I did a lot reviews on this saw before purchase and I knew about the oiler. I never dreamed this saw was this way or that it had gone thru a design change. The saw is spec. for a 25" bar at the max length. I had another saw shop order and install the oiler, the dog I bought from the same oiler shop and I had it powder coated, that took several week. When I got the tach I installed it in my spare time. I didn't know about the 7 days and a problem with any of Stihl product never crossed my mind. When I walked out of the store with my new saw, they tuned so if it had any problems with how it ran I assumed it would of showed up then. This shop has been there longer than I can remember, they run and tune saw every day...they cater to home owner not professional thou. Most professional go to the second shop I used and another one west of here...the one that got the oiler for me. I never even started this saw until I installed the tach...it flooded easily so I took it the next day, this all start from that day forward. They sent me home with my saw acted like I didn't know how to start a saw. The 1st tree I faced I was having problem with the saw stopping in the cut multiple times. It was more of the same on the back cut on that tree. I thought so it new maybe needs bit more running time. I cut off the butt and move to the next tree. I had keep a bit of hold wood to turn this tree an keep it in the lay. That tree like the other was going before I could cut up to the hinge. I've done this with lots of saw never had one just stop like that with out a bind. Cutting a face doesn't bind the saw, nor does cutting firewood if the log is supported behind the cut. On a FC chain if the sap is running the chip load can sometime bind up or load the cut because the chips can't clear...this is not the case on my cuts. So... I don't agree with these shops. Its a 60cc saw it should cut a 15" round without stopping in a fir log period. My 25+ year old landing 034av does no problem...I ran it on the same 15" log several time and it consistently cut it with in 1 sec of each cut. These shop can say what the want but I know this is not right. I couldn't really get accurate cut count on this MS362 its just all over the place. I ask the group would you be happy with a saw that can't even cut firewood... I'm not trying to be dishonest about anything regarding this saw but that 1st shop is saying that how these new saws run and I feel the second shop is saying the same thing. Its not a warranty issue its a design issue is what I'm getting and I have unreal expectations period.

Thanks everyone...here the deal I bought this saw in Feb of this year. I was nerves about the EPA so I wanted dynamic tach. I did a lot reviews on this saw before purchase and I knew about the oiler. I never dreamed this saw was this way or that it had gone thru a design change. The saw is spec. for a 25" bar at the max length. I had another saw shop order and install the oiler, the dog I bought from the same oiler shop and I had it powder coated, that took several week. When I got the tach I installed it in my spare time. I didn't know about the 7 days and a problem with any of Stihl product never crossed my mind. When I walked out of the store with my new saw, they tuned so if it had any problems with how it ran I assumed it would of showed up then. This shop has been there longer than I can remember, they run and tune saw every day...they cater to home owner not professional thou. Most professional go to the second shop I used and another one west of here...the one that got the oiler for me. I never even started this saw until I installed the tach...it flooded easily so I took it the next day, this all start from that day forward. They sent me home with my saw acted like I didn't know how to start a saw. The 1st tree I faced I was having problem with the saw stopping in the cut multiple times. It was more of the same on the back cut on that tree. I thought so it new maybe needs bit more running time. I cut off the butt and move to the next tree. I had keep a bit of hold wood to turn this tree an keep it in the lay. That tree like the other was going before I could cut up to the hinge. I've done this with lots of saw never had one just stop like that with out a bind. Cutting a face doesn't bind the saw, nor does cutting firewood if the log is supported behind the cut. On a FC chain if the sap is running the chip load can sometime bind up or load the cut because the chips can't clear...this is not the case on my cuts. So... I don't agree with these shops. Its a 60cc saw it should cut a 15" round without stopping in a fir log period. My 25+ year old landing 034av does no problem...I ran it on the same 15" log several time and it consistently cut it with in 1 sec of each cut. These shop can say what the want but I know this is not right. I couldn't really get accurate cut count on this MS362 its just all over the place. I ask the group would you be happy with a saw that can't even cut firewood... I'm not trying to be dishonest about anything regarding this saw but that 1st shop is saying that how these new saws run and I feel the second shop is saying the same thing. Its not a warranty issue its a design issue is what I'm getting and I have unreal expectations period.

James, I agree with you about the low power; my 2015 MS362CM got stronger as I used it, but I cut plenty of 16" Oak with it from new to break it is, and it never hesitated. I think you need to take it back somewhere and get either a refund or a new saw.

James there a lots of members on here and the other sites that live in Oregon,, gotta be someone close by that will pull the muffler and do a comp check for you.
Something is wrong with that saw.
Yer not helping by being stubborn on the above,,,,
IMHO

Thanks... my readings and both of the shops reading are the same on the compression it's 120psi cold and 110 hot. The 2nd shop ran 4 test after running the saw each time with different gauges. We could have 100 people run a compression test it not going to change...it is what it is...it was design that way. The cylinder is perfect as are the rings I did look plus I dropped a camera in the cylinder...that's no longer the issue. I'm being told this is the design...this saw run to the design intended. So, the issue is the saw can not pull the chip load on a 15" cut. I'm saying it's absolutely NOT a binding issue related to an operator error. The saw is under powered and stopping due to chip load plan and simple. That not what Stihl is saying or the shops they won't admit to that but that is exactly what is happening if you think about it. I can't solve this problem with this low of compression is all I'm saying and have been says! The shop will not admit to that in anyway, the only reason I know this is related to the design is that what both shops are saying...its the design. Unless someone can do a load test on this saw it will bench test perfect. This isn't a warranty issue as I see it from what both shops are saying...not much choice I have with that. There is 2 request in to Stihl one from the shop of purchase and another member. The 2nd shop hasn't call either so not a good sign. I'm not trying to be difficult or stubborn or hopeful I'm listening carefully. I was concern about the warranty but at this point there is no warranty as I see it. I ran 1/4 drag boats both hydro and flat...I know how to make a motor run...this is not new to me. You can run a motor on low compression is all has to do with the fuel charge being compressed...that's how blower or turbo work. As the piston start moving fuel thru the port it take a moment to get it moving once the fuel is moving it doesn't want to stop right away. Even as the port is closing ...the fuel is still moving thou the port as it is being restricted. That how old school cam's work they hold the valve open even thou the piston is coming up to getting that last extra charge in the cylinder. The more fuel charge in the cylinder the harder it is to compress...so I believe this is what they are saying...the two shops. These shop will not admit to this .. fact I'm not sure what there understanding is. I have not talked to the factory, they have not contacted me but I've thought about this seriously. As I see it, I can attempt to fix the saw maybe over come the design issue...throw more money after bad. I can't get either shop to support me...why would Stihl? Or I can cut my losses and get another saw and recover some of my cost. Pretty much that is my options as I see it at this point. There is nothing wrong with the cylinder or piston...both shops are saying the same thing...that all they're saying. The shop of purchase is saying I'm on my own... so you have think about it from the shop point...its not a warranty! The shop of purchase is saying I have unreasonable expectation from this saw...its operator error...plain and simple. They will not admit they themselves are seeing the same problems as me...I was standing right next to them when they tested. The 2nd shop admits the saw is stopping in the cut, but nothing as to why other than it design...period. Its pretty clear from my point not much you can do with that. I'm not trying to get people upset or not showing I don't care about the advice but I'm looking at it from both sides. I don't have blinders on...bottom line its coming out of my pocket I'm more upset than anyone. Getting rid of the saw is the only way I'm going to come out of this with anything as I see it. I do hope Stihl call because I do have a lot of questions, I honestly don't think the factory can address this issue...it was designed this way.

Thanks... my readings and both of the shops reading are the same on the compression it's 120psi cold and 110 hot. The 2nd shop ran 4 test after running the saw each time with different gauges. We could have 100 people run a compression test it not going to change...it is what it is...it was design that way. The cylinder is perfect as are the rings I did look plus I dropped a camera in the cylinder...that's no longer the issue. I'm being told this is the design...this saw run to the design intended. So, the issue is the saw can not pull the chip load on a 15" cut. I'm saying it's absolutely NOT a binding issue related to an operator error. The saw is under powered and stopping due to chip load plan and simple. That not what Stihl is saying or the shops they won't admit to that but that is exactly what is happening if you think about it. I can't solve this problem with this low of compression is all I'm saying and have been says! The shop will not admit to that in anyway, the only reason I know this is related to the design is that what both shops are saying...its the design. Unless someone can do a load test on this saw it will bench test perfect. This isn't a warranty issue as I see it from what both shops are saying...not much choice I have with that. There is 2 request in to Stihl one from the shop of purchase and another member. The 2nd shop hasn't call either so not a good sign. I'm not trying to be difficult or stubborn or hopeful I'm listening carefully. I was concern about the warranty but at this point there is no warranty as I see it. I ran 1/4 drag boats both hydro and flat...I know how to make a motor run...this is not new to me. You can run a motor on low compression is all has to do with the fuel charge being compressed...that's how blower or turbo work. As the piston start moving fuel thru the port it take a moment to get it moving once the fuel is moving it doesn't want to stop right away. Even as the port is closing ...the fuel is still moving thou the port as it is being restricted. That how old school cam's work they hold the valve open even thou the piston is coming up to getting that last extra charge in the cylinder. The more fuel charge in the cylinder the harder it is to compress...so I believe this is what they are saying...the two shops. These shop will not admit to this .. fact I'm not sure what there understanding is. I have not talked to the factory, they have not contacted me but I've thought about this seriously. As I see it, I can attempt to fix the saw maybe over come the design issue...throw more money after bad. I can't get either shop to support me...why would Stihl? Or I can cut my losses and get another saw and recover some of my cost. Pretty much that is my options as I see it at this point. There is nothing wrong with the cylinder or piston...both shops are saying the same thing...that all they're saying. The shop of purchase is saying I'm on my own... so you have think about it from the shop point...its not a warranty! The shop of purchase is saying I have unreasonable expectation from this saw...its operator error...plain and simple. They will not admit they themselves are seeing the same problems as me...I was standing right next to them when they tested. The 2nd shop admits the saw is stopping in the cut, but nothing as to why other than it design...period. Its pretty clear from my point not much you can do with that. I'm not trying to get people upset or not showing I don't care about the advice but I'm looking at it from both sides. I don't have blinders on...bottom line its coming out of my pocket I'm more upset than anyone. Getting rid of the saw is the only way I'm going to come out of this with anything as I see it. I do hope Stihl call because I do have a lot of questions, I honestly don't think the factory can address this issue...it was designed this way.
Cant be a new design they are lying, if it is a new design they will go out of business ! You need another saw made that style with the same date of manufacture to check the compression on it to prove the BS, then what can they say?

Bottom line is the dealer should make sure you are satisfied, i'm sure there are other demo saws you can try and cut with there. If there is nothing wrong with the saw, then they shouldn't have a problem selling it used. I would avoid going to a dealer who usually only has lower end saws, go to the pro one. I don't know exactly what is wrong with your saw (compression, fuel, ignition, timing, etc), but there is something messed up beyond what i have experienced myself (see below).

Here are some of my personal observations with these new saws: they run like turd when new and bog down easy compared to older ones or freshly rebuilt older ones. they take a lot tanks to break in and after some time, you suddenly realized they are cutting well. they run hotter and seem louder to me, prob cuz they run higher rpm to cut well). the new small plug is annoying, my almost new 462 with 3 tanks in and base gasket delete shows 120psi compression since i don't have an adaptor with the schrader valve in it (but rather the valve is in the hose that screws into the adapter) so there is more air volume there to compress, so i have to order a snap-on hose to screw in directly so the schrader valve is in the cylinder (10mm x 1.0, part EEPV5G10L) but i can tell by pulling its got at least 150psi since my 044 fresh rebuild has that compression (no adaptor needed). Doesn anyone know the advantages of the new style 10mm plug?

A camera through the plug hole doesn’t tell you whether you have a bad or missing ring on the piston. At this point you have nothing to lose by taking off the outer cover of the muffler. You don’t even need to take the whole muffler off. It is just a wide open box inside, no baffle or anything.
4 screws / 2 mins. and you know for sure.

Swap the bar & chain off your other saw & see how it goes, it sounds like there's nothing wrong with the saw as it tested the same as another off the shelf with the same gauge.

Ok just for the interest of other...I'm listening. I call Stihl and spoke with John in support. The saw was designed to run at 110psi... Stihl spec this at that compression for this new design. Yes the new design MS362 (10mm plug) saw should pull a 15" chip load with a FC chain. The are not saying anything regarding a warranty I told them about the oiler, tach etc. . Support is not saying i don't have a problem but they ARE NOT saying I do either. Pretty much the same as the shops are saying! Support is saying the MS362 should pull a 15" chip load with a FC chain without stopping. JD is the guy managing the Pacific Northwest for Stihl and John gave me his number. John can't help me... I need to talk to JD. John was very honest and straight forward I enjoyed talking to him...he totally got my issue. I left a message for JD he is out of the office until April 5th. That is probably why I'm not getting a call. I'm guess it'll be a while before I get a call due to the volume he'll have on his return. So...my thought as well as the shops are saying ... ALL the other MS362 (new design) are going to run this way. My saw compression is to spec, it's tune correct that I know, My cylinder is good that I know! Fuel, compression, Ignition all to spec that I know...not much to say after that. This is why I'm saying what I'm saying... if I sent this saw to Stihl and its to there spec what can they do...this is the cold truth to the matter. But for the interest of other I will wait until I talk to JD...I just hate for anyone who's looking at buying a small plug MS362 carb. saw and go thru all this. The only way this saw can product 4.5hp at low compress is to increase the fuel charge in the cylinder, John understood what I was saying but would not confirm either. Math is Math 4.5 hp is the rate of work the saw can do as it is spec. I don't believe it but I do believe this saw will bench test to spec without a load. Its pretty hard to describe how I feel right now but I really didn't learn much more than I already knew. Let see what JD has to say. Again...thanks everyone, I do appreciate the advice it all has been good and helpful.

Bottom line is the dealer should make sure you are satisfied, i'm sure there are other demo saws you can try and cut with there. If there is nothing wrong with the saw, then they shouldn't have a problem selling it used. I would avoid going to a dealer who usually only has lower end saws, go to the pro one. I don't know exactly what is wrong with your saw (compression, fuel, ignition, timing, etc), but there is something messed up beyond what i have experienced myself (see below).

Here are some of my personal observations with these new saws: they run like turd when new and bog down easy compared to older ones or freshly rebuilt older ones. they take a lot tanks to break in and after some time, you suddenly realized they are cutting well. they run hotter and seem louder to me, prob cuz they run higher rpm to cut well). the new small plug is annoying, my almost new 462 with 3 tanks in and base gasket delete shows 120psi compression since i don't have an adaptor with the schrader valve in it (but rather the valve is in the hose that screws into the adapter) so there is more air volume there to compress, so i have to order a snap-on hose to screw in directly so the schrader valve is in the cylinder (10mm x 1.0, part EEPV5G10L) but i can tell by pulling its got at least 150psi since my 044 fresh rebuild has that compression (no adaptor needed). Doesn anyone know the advantages of the new style 10mm plug?

yes...heat. they add more cooling fins too

A camera through the plug hole doesn’t tell you whether you have a bad or missing ring on the piston. At this point you have nothing to lose by taking off the outer cover of the muffler. You don’t even need to take the whole muffler off. It is just a wide open box inside, no baffle or anything.
4 screws / 2 mins. and you know for sure.

Yes I'm aware there is no way to totally say a cylinder/piston is good with out pulling the exhaust. But the tell-tell signs usually are at the exhaust port. Stihl has the ring ends between the transfer and the intake...so there is no way of telling if the ring got broke unless you pull the cylinder. But you can see the cylinder wall from the exhaust and tell if there is problem in this area. The cylinder and piston are good I can assure you!

Swap the bar & chain off your other saw & see how it goes, it sounds like there's nothing wrong with the saw as it tested the same as another off the shelf with the same gauge.
I did I switch to 20" bar and chain...cuts almost same... chip loads just as much and stop just as much. The bar length doesn't make a different, both the 25" and 20" chains are FC. There might be some different in the riders from the 20" to the 25" but the chains seem to cut almost exactly the same. The 20 was a re-grind, the 25" brand new chain. The saw runs the same regardless of the bar length. Seriously the saw is stopping because it can't pull the variation in the chip load.

I find it all hard to believe on their end!

I find it all hard to believe on their end!

Me too wish you all could run this saw, I can't believe it either. I've been thinking about this today and talking to my boss. I'm wondering if this design is due to a EPA requirements on the product line. EPA has restriction on products not all the line has to meet the numbers but other product have to make up the different. Please Don't Get This Wrong I do not know this...just thinking it. I did search out the MS362 prior and it has had great reviews...my saw isn't what others are saying it preforms like. The other shop hasn't call me today so I'm assuming they have a call into JD for their own interest. I'm going to sit on my saw until I get a chance to talk to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back