Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking at my p41 cylinder this morning, good job pioneer. Nice wide squish band, compact combustion chamber. Wide exhaust port, smooth and tight transfers. Where is the improvements? Without knowing the timing numbers I’m thinking, cut 020 off the base and make a 020 pop up. see where the exhaust can go from there. Also will be checking how the lower transfers line up to the case

Yep it sure is. You helped me with good info, and a spike. Your responsable for getting me grinding on these p series lol. I have the newer style crank, and I think the older as well. Let me know what you prefer. The newer crank has a p45/455 piston on it, and your welcome to that as well.View attachment 727381
Thanks! I'm sposta have bearings coming for the newer type crank. It might be a good guess that your crank is in a little better shape than my old one. I can't find anything wrong with mine, but I know that saw was rode hard and put up wet long before I got it as a basket case from a father-son outfit - real caricatures of hillbilly loggers.

I'm just a little nervous about building a good saw and then blowing the big-end rod bearing, so maybe I should use your crank. I have a new piston for it.

I haven't heard lately how Paul is coming along with his PP455.

Looking at my p41 cylinder this morning, good job pioneer. Nice wide squish band, compact combustion chamber. Wide exhaust port, smooth and tight transfers. Where is the improvements? Without knowing the timing numbers I’m thinking, cut 020 off the base and make a 020 pop up. see where the exhaust can go from there. Also will be checking how the lower transfers line up to the case
I didn't spend much time on my P42; I just needed a handy little saw to run over the winter cutting wood for other folks while my P 45 is in pieces.
Don't remember the timing numbers it had, but they seemed pretty retarded and it was less than impressive to run. Then I put it at 97.5 and 118, and it turned into a little snot with plenty of torque. Ignition timing is advanced, partly because of altitude, and it has the slightly-modified SDC80 that's going back on my P45.

I didn't spend much time on my P42; I just needed a handy little saw to run over the winter cutting wood for other folks while my P 45 is in pieces.
Don't remember the timing numbers it had, but they seemed pretty retarded and it was less than impressive to run. Then I put it at 97.5 and 118, and it turned into a little snot with plenty of torque. Ignition timing is advanced, partly because of altitude, and it has the slightly-modified SDC80 that's going back on my P45.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking a compression boost as well. I also have a boyesen dual reed kit to go on it. Hmm maybe ill have to tear down my p62 and go at it too.

Sounds like a good plan. I'm thinking a compression boost as well. I also have a boyesen dual reed kit to go on it. Hmm maybe ill have to tear down my p62 and go at it too.
I forgot to mention the Boyesen reeds, but you're on top of it. The single-stage fiberglass reed work just fine, but I've always used the two-stage.
I may have found a new crank for the P45.

I have a Pioneer Dealer manual with a service manual section and about forty to fifty service bulletins in it for sale. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give it an eight. It has the date 8/9/83 penciled in it. I can send pictures if there is any interest. It is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick and weights about 5 or 6 pounds. I will take 50$ for it plush shipping. my zip code is 38828 if you want to figure the shipping. If interested please PM me. Tom

Hey guys I picked up a Holiday 1100G today and Im trying to locate an IPL and service manual. If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I did post in the beg for manuals thread also.

Thanks. Jason.

Attachments

• IMG_20190406_160135421.jpg
    IMG_20190406_160135421.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20190406_201030142.jpg
    IMG_20190406_201030142.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 16
I think I'll have to split the gas tank to replace the wick. The previous owner left gas in it and its pretty nasty. I've cycled a few rounds of gas through it.... soak, shake, drain repeat and its better but I think that wick needs to be replaced and the tank scrubbed. The service manual references a gasket between the tank halves but the IPL does not show one. Will Motoseal do the job?

Thanks. Jason.

I think I'll have to split the gas tank to replace the wick. The previous owner left gas in it and its pretty nasty. I've cycled a few rounds of gas through it.... soak, shake, drain repeat and its better but I think that wick needs to be replaced and the tank scrubbed. The service manual references a gasket between the tank halves but the IPL does not show one. Will Motoseal do the job?

Thanks. Jason.
I would make a gasket for it before using motoseal. You can get a roll of FelPro gasket at about any auto parts store. Try some white vinegar in the tank before tearing the saw down.

White vinegar is a great idea. Do you think the old wick will still be good? I am afraid of it breaking down and pieces getting sucked in. This is the first saw with one of those ive dealt with.
It may or may not clean up. The one on my 1110 cleaned up pretty good. They aren't that fun to replace lol.

Back